Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Beautiful Great River MP-2NV Transformer vs no Transformer Loading clips (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/475189-beautiful-great-river-mp-2nv-transformer-vs-no-transformer-loading-clips.html)

SoZo 16th March 2010 12:37 AM

Beautiful Great River MP-2NV Transformer vs no Transformer Loading clips

Which do you like better? Transformer Loaded Snare or no Loading???

No Transformer

Transformer

I have put up 24 bit WAVE files deleted the MP3 try now...

drone007 16th March 2010 12:44 AM

could be the speakers (or lack thereof) on my laptop, but i'm hard pressed to hear an appreciable difference... confoosed

i'm a drummer, too... go figure. haha

SoZo 16th March 2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drone007 (Post 5208635)
could be the speakers (or lack thereof) on my laptop, but i'm hard pressed to hear an appreciable difference... confoosed

i'm a drummer, too... go figure. haha

I have edited the links with Wave files.. try now.. Sorry mp3's suck

Ski spiggy 16th March 2010 04:13 AM

No transformer is slightly more open.

So close it's just silly.

Spigg

ps Prob prefer the open sound

SoZo 16th March 2010 04:31 AM

Really... i hear the loading transformer as Fatter, more seperation around the snare drum, and a finished sound, no transformer as flat, lots air, but fast!

I put up 24 bit waves so you can hear exactly what I (Think) I hear..

Either way love this preamp!

Fletcher 16th March 2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoZo (Post 5208607)
Which do you like better? Transformer Loaded Snare or no Loading???

No Transformer

Transformer

I have put up 24 bit WAVE files deleted the MP3 try now...

A little clarification... the MP-2NV has two outputs. The one with the XLR is a transformer balanced output. That transformer can be properly loaded [flat output response] or unloaded [slightly more "air"... makes a difference on some things like "breathy female vocals", "cymbals", etc.

The 1/4" output does not go through the transformer. It was put there in case someone needed "no latency monitor" capability while tracking [you could take the output of the pre-amp and add it to the singer's monitor system without going through the DAW]... this feature was added many years ago when DAW's often had larger latency problems than many systems do currently.

The 1/4" output really doesn't sound as good as the XLR output, but it is certainly useable for the purpose.

The OTHER WAY to get a transformerless output from an MP-2NV is to add an EQ-2NV, connect the two via the insert point and use the output from the EQ-2NV which has a very high headroom [+32!!!!] transformerless output. Using this same method, you can use the transformer based output from the MP-2NV to output the signal from the EQ-2NV if you decide you prefer the sound of the transformer based output to that of the transformerless output of the EQ-2NV.

The whole idea was to give a plethora of options which makes the sum of the MP-2NV & EQ-2NV far more versatile than either of the parts on their own [some pretty clever **** if you ask me!!! That Dan Kennedy guy is a bloody genius!]

As for the "loading" switch... the difference is VERY subtle but will often make a very nice textural difference in the context of a recording. I thought it was worth the cost of the switch which is why it was added... but it ain't a "night and day" thing by any stretch of the imagination.

SoZo 16th March 2010 06:33 PM

Ahhh Kewl.. Thanks!

Yes the preamp is amazing, I do love it!