Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Clean house and rewire? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/4631-clean-house-rewire.html)

Jay Kahrs 28th May 2003 05:11 PM

Clean house and rewire?

You can only grow and add so much stuff before it starts to become unorganized with random cables all over the place and it makes more sense to rip it all out, or almost all out and start from scratch just to end the confusion. In my case it's been about once every year to year and a half but I've purchased massive amounts of outboard every year for the last three years. Now I don't think I'm doing to do it again for a long time. How often do you pull out all the gear wiring to reorganize it all?

Teacher 28th May 2003 06:13 PM

me i just deal with it...it only gets undone if something is not working or if i'm moving...or some new peice of equipment arrives namely a mixer which i hope to be getting in a week or 2.. no more mackie woooo hooo jkthtyrt

scotty-o 28th May 2003 08:02 PM

Thats just what I'll be doing in August. We've ordered some new pieces that'll be here soon and the control room is already a ****ing bowl of spaghetti.
Going to be tearing everything out and doing a fresh rewiring. Patchbays and all. Not fun but I've been needing to do it for 2 years now.
Has anyone seen my multi-meter? abduction
-Scotty

littledog 28th May 2003 08:47 PM

I definitely do it every couple of years. It's more a function of rearranging the room than actual wiring though, because my TT patchbays came already prewired with 50' of Belden on each patch point. When I add a piece of outboard, it's just a matter of picking unused points, labelling them, and soldering the appropriate connectors onto the other end.

subspace 28th May 2003 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My front porch last month...

"I want to change the Trident's right hand bay into a left hand bay, change the console configuration from a center master/ monitor section to a right hand master/ monitor section, and mount the DAW i/os, monitor, keyboard, plus a 24 track HDR in a rolling rack fed by a snake. That shouldn't take too long..."

I'll probably wanna change it again next time things are slow...

Fuzzy Logic 29th May 2003 02:35 AM

if the system is designed & organized at the start it will stay organized. leave plenty of room for future gear. keeps the clutter at "bay". heh

littledog 29th May 2003 05:20 AM

Yeah, yeah...

Rub it in, why dont'cha! gooof

covert 29th May 2003 03:32 PM

I've had to do it several times in the last year, but I've been in a serious acquisition period. Right at the moment I'm getting it together for a longer term solution, completely new patchbay setup, with lots of expansion, and serious cabling, with enough extra to cover if/when I relocate. Possibly the hardest part is getting my head around the fact that it's going to cost more than my board and main outboard stuff combined.