Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   500 series rack with integrated AD (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/452322-500-series-rack-integrated-ad.html)

littlenemo 29th December 2009 05:40 PM

500 series rack with integrated AD

Hi,
Just a thought : would you think an 8 slot 500 series rack with integrated good quality 8 channel AD converter with ADAT and AES would be a good idea ? it could be used to add 8 channel of preamps to a digital interface like apogee ensemble, digi 003, etc and the ability to choose from the wide selection of 500 series preamps available.

tapehiss 30th December 2009 01:31 AM

consider:

getting a radial workhorse filled with 8 pres, use the racks internal summing/mixing to bounce the 8 down to a stereo mix, and use a two channel a/d to bring it into the box....

littlenemo 30th December 2009 03:38 AM

well the goal is to add 8 discrete channels to an interface so an 8 channel ADAT or AES A/D makes more sense. Now you only have the choice between 8 identical preamps with onboard AD (presonus, audient, mackie, etc.) or separate preamps and converters.
I think a 500 series compatible rack with onbard AD convertion could be a nice and affordable middle ground.

Deleted 86c3d96 30th December 2009 05:53 AM

500 series rack integrate with Active Directory? heppy

popote_jr 4th April 2011 12:58 AM

Yeah, that'd be great!

I'm looking for the same product!!!

8 slots + ADAT OUT in a 500 serie rack....

msquared 4th April 2011 02:44 AM

Contact Purple Audio and ask if they know anyone who is working on it. Their Sweet Ten rack is the only production frame that could handle that scenario right now.

Personally, I love the 500 series stuff but totally don't see myself getting something like this. If I've got eight channels of 500 series modules it's already going to be in a rackmountable frame and not a Lunchbox, which means I've probably got space in the rack for both a decent A/D and a patch bay. All of my cables would remain safely in back in this setup (remember that with a 500 series A/D, the digital out would have to be in front) and I wouldn't have any worries about converter quality suffering so the module could meet a price point.

blackcom 4th April 2011 02:46 AM

Grace desigb has a 500 ad converter.

popote_jr 4th April 2011 03:25 AM

What I see is that the AD is installed within the frame, not a module you add to it. Are there 8 channels AD/DA converters with ADAT out for the 500 series...I went through grace design's website and there's no mention of such an unit...

----

so, you've got 8 slots of preamps, with the option of LINE OUTS, like a normal 500 serie rackmount, but with the addition of a AD - with the outs in the back.

It'd be perfect for the home/project studio, like mine, who wants the flexibility of 500 serie gear w/o the price tag of the high end 8 channels converter.

And imagine the mobile rigs:

A FME Fireface 800, A Metric Halo, even a MOTU 896 (I don't know why I bring this unit up...;p), a good 1 rack space 8 pres unit PLUS a 8 slots/3 rackspace 500 serie rack with AD conversion and ADAT out filled with 4 pairs of great 500 preamps...plus a power conditionner...

6U - 32 channels....

I'd buy this rack tomorrow!

Ari-M. 4th April 2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_seldon (Post 4935098)
500 series rack integrate with Active Directory? heppy

heh i totally got that....must mean I am spending too much time in MS based domains

Geert van den Berg 24th April 2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popote_jr (Post 6502393)
What I see is that the AD is installed within the frame, not a module you add to it. Are there 8 channels AD/DA converters with ADAT out for the 500 series...I went through grace design's website and there's no mention of such

Millennia Media makes a 500 series A/D converter... Outputs AES/EBU.

Johnkenn 25th April 2011 02:53 AM

I think that's a fantastic idea!! I would LOVE to buy an Apogee ADDA 500...ADDA built into the frame with six slots to fill with WHATEVER you wanted to put in it. Man, talking about a all in one solution for mobile recording!

littlenemo 26th April 2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg (Post 6576451)

Nice product, but you still have to add cables around the rack to connect the preamps to the converter. Millennia should build a 500 series rack with 8 slots and each slot's line out internally connected to the integrated converter.
Same but more elegant.

Kingtone 28th April 2011 01:46 PM

i like the idea of having at least a 2ch AD in a lunch box. Either built into the chassis or as a 1 space module. Would be great for location recording or for very small setups. thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcom (Post 6502285)
Grace desigb has a 500 ad converter.

i couldnt find any info on this... do you have a link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg (Post 6576451)

This would be great if it was a simple cost effective 2 channel. Maybe utilizing both xlr connectors on the back as inputs and have the digital outs on the front panel...

parlopower 28th April 2011 09:30 PM

Why not make it an all-in-one uber-interface immediately?

Imagine a Metric Halo LIO-8, but instead of having the option of adding MH's pres, the box is 4U high and has 8 rails for 500 series modules... kind of a real hardware character plugin suite heh

Specs would be:
8 analog ins through 8 rails for 500 series modules
8 analog out
2 headphones out
ADAT i/o
Firewire connection to the DAW, if it would really be a Metric Halo product imagine having all the MIO console shebang...

My goodness, I would so totally buy such a box if I could afford it!
Or one could just buy a 500 series rack frame and a LIO-8. hehhehheh

daez 28th April 2011 09:36 PM

I could see api doing something like this and calling it the a8d rack. That would be dooooope !!!!

andy3 24th February 2012 09:25 PM

up, any news about this?

XodiaK 25th February 2012 05:37 AM

i dont predict any high-end converter scenarios making it to the 500. people invest in 500 gear for the advantage of having high-end pres, comps, and eqs in a convenient portable box. you could just as easily have a rackmounted 500 frame in a 5U rack with a converter and patchbay. a 5U rack would still be considered portable by most. do without the patchbay and make it 4U even.

Jim Williams 25th February 2012 05:51 PM

Sure, put a few screaming multi-megahertz digital clocks in your lunchbox, right up next to your 60+ db gain mic preamps.

That ought to make those sound better.

XodiaK 25th February 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Williams (Post 7605368)
Sure, put a few screaming multi-megahertz digital clocks in your lunchbox, right up next to your 60+ db gain mic preamps.

That ought to make those sound better.

kfhkh

popmann 25th February 2012 09:58 PM

This is a foolish idea. Analog gear should be analog. Its what you put money into. Digital is disposable. A rack of great preamps will last the rest of our life. An 8 channel converter won't...I wouldn't buy one with just ADAT NOW...let alone five years down the road.

What's the goal here? Is it that you think it would be cheaper? Or, just that you're not going to have to buy an 8ch snake of cables?

XodiaK 25th February 2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popmann (Post 7606133)
This is a foolish idea. Analog gear should be analog. Its what you put money into. Digital is disposable. A rack of great preamps will last the rest of our life. An 8 channel converter won't...I wouldn't buy one with just ADAT NOW...let alone five years down the road.

What's the goal here? Is it that you think it would be cheaper? Or, just that you're not going to have to buy an 8ch snake of cables?

you've just given some bigwig cigar smoking hootnanny engineer at behringer or the like a great concept, and a huge bonus

:lol:

TonyBelmont 26th February 2012 12:44 AM

By the time it makes it to market, the 500 series fad will probably be mostly a memory.

Seriously, the 500 series will always have a following. But, the amount of time people spend talking about it on here is absolutely ridiculous.

andy3 26th February 2012 03:04 AM

I don't think so

@popmann: $$$

Duardo 26th February 2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

By the time it makes it to market, the 500 series fad will probably be mostly a memory.
You really think so? Hasn't it been around long enough already to no longer be considered a fad by definition?

In any case, I agree that having the converters integrated would not be the way to go. One would want their rack or lunchbox to not become obsolete, or not have technology tied to it that could make it become outdated. If it's a module, though, that's no problem...just replace it when the time comes. A ten-space rack with one of the Millennia eight-channel preamps seems to be the best solution on the market right now, although if someone could come up with a more elegant solution that wouldn't be a bad idea, although I don't know how one would get around the connectors on the front thing...

jswitch 24th June 2014 08:51 PM

So, 2 years have past and what has it bring us?

Still no lunchbox I can add to the ADAT inputs on my Quartet now is there?

Mighty_Zoltan 24th June 2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswitch (Post 10209990)
So, 2 years have past and what has it bring us?

Still no lunchbox I can add to the ADAT inputs on my Quartet now is there?

this is sort of half the way...
USB 500 Rack | Aphex

jswitch 24th June 2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty_Zoltan (Post 10210141)
this is sort of half the way...
USB 500 Rack | Aphex

Already got the interface only need more inputs. I'm also using the iPad with the Quartet and there's no way to connect more then one interface to an iPad.

Baz 25th June 2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBelmont (Post 7606608)
By the time it makes it to market, the 500 series fad will probably be mostly a memory

And the 'fad' has only gained ground exponentially since posting this.Big miss there, Tony lol..

godofmetalguita 25th June 2014 04:54 AM

That would be awesome. An all in one boutique recording solution with endless customization options.

superwack 25th June 2014 08:02 AM

I keep hoping Lynx will do an 8 slot 500 series rack... Using their modular LT-X cards you could customize it to connect directly to a Pro Tools HD/HDX card, MADI, ADAT, USB, FW, etc. and the LT-X cards do both IN and OUT so you could use the rack for pres, comps... Whatever!