Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Q+A with Dave Derr (designer of the Distressor compressor) (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-dave-derr-designer-of-the-distressor-compressor-/)
-   -   that 10:1 ratio on the distressor, what should one use it for? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-dave-derr-designer-of-the-distressor-compressor-/4440-10-1-ratio-distressor-what-should-one-use.html)

khai 18th May 2003 11:09 PM

that 10:1 ratio on the distressor, what should one use it for?
 
I'm pretty new to compression culture. I know theyhave a very different compression curve, but what should one use it for? Tracking or mix? What instruments, what dynamic? This is so mysterious to me still.

e-cue 19th May 2003 07:12 AM

Re: that 10:1 ratio on the distressor, what should one use it for?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by khai
I'm pretty new to compression culture. I know theyhave a very different compression curve, but what should one use it for? Tracking or mix? What instruments, what dynamic? This is so mysterious to me still.
Pretty much anything you'd use an LA-2A on. I love it on vocals, but if you don't get your settings right, you'll risk turning your vocal into an overcompressed pile of cleveland steamer.

Dave Derr 19th May 2003 04:10 PM

Re: Re: that 10:1 ratio on the distressor, what should one use it for?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by e-cue
Pretty much anything you'd use an LA-2A on. I love it on vocals, but if you don't get your settings right, you'll risk turning your vocal into an overcompressed pile of cleveland steamer.
<LAUGHING!> Cleveland Steamer? I don't wanna know!

Yeah the 10:1 "OPTO" ratio on the Distressor is a slow beast, thats probably best on slower moving things like Vocals and Bass or Slide Guitar... It has a very smooth knee and you wont hear the first 3 - 6 dB of compression, or even more...

Speaking of Cleveland Steamer... there is an album out there someone told me about, where the band tracked most of it themselves and had a few Distressors. They recorded lots of tracks with NUKE on them and the same attack setting. DONT DO THIS! Read it right in the manual! Rule #1, use compression "GENTLY" when tracking cuz you cant UNDO IT. Rule #2, NUKE IS NEVER "GENTLE". (You would think the name "NUKE" might give em a clue, hunh?)

The mix guy had to work around the "CHOMP" of dozens of tracks attacking 3 - 20 dB in NUKE. Holy trash compactor, Batman! Maybe we need to make our customers take a "Competence Test" before we sell them our equipment? <laughing!> Or have them send in a demo tape...

KHAI - The Opto mode is slow enough when set up with the attack on 10 and release on zero, that it shouldnt sound too crazy if you track with 3 - 10 dB on a source. But when tracking and especially when you are unsure - USE LESS COMPRESSION! Just print things HOT on your recorder, using all the bits, or all the nano-webers you can to ensure maximum signal to noise.

Most manuals (ours included) have sample settings and we guarantee that they work. Personally, I used the Distressor 6:1 a whole lot ,with the attack 4 - 6, and the release on 5 ish. It should be hard to mess up too much, unless you start putting 14 - 26 dB of compression on during tracking.

Compression is a mysterious beast Khai, and I think any engineer worth his wieght in AMPEX 456, keeps learning new ways to use and abuse it throughout his career. And like a wedding nite, just be gentle with it at first...

jpaudio 20th May 2003 10:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: that 10:1 ratio on the distressor, what should one use it for?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Derr
Personally, I used the Distressor 6:1 a whole lot ,with the attack 4 - 6, and the release on 5 ish. It should be hard to mess up too much, unless you start putting 14 - 26 dB of compression on during tracking.


I use that setting a lot myself, love it on clean guitars and bass... may try it on vocals sometime soon, although I still reach for Opto mode or my Manley ELOP during vocal tracking most of the time, i'm convinced it's pretty much impossible to screw anything up with that box. On the flip side, you can't really mangle anything either... can't win 'em all!