Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   002R Mic vs. Line Input question (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/441796-002r-mic-vs-line-input-question.html)

ericstadium 20th November 2009 12:09 PM

002R Mic vs. Line Input question

Ok, so I know that when I use the line input into the first 4 channels of my 002R, it is still being run through the mic pre, as the gain control on the front is still active (which, by the way, is a terrible design).

I haven't had the chance to test this yet, but I'm curious if anyone knows-

If I was wiring my 002R into a patchbay, do I even need to wire the mic pres and line inputs separately? If the line signal is going through the pre, couldn't a mic be patched into that? Will phantom power work on the TRS input, or only the XLR one? And is there anything different between these 2 inputs? I really have no idea. Why in the world would Digi design something to go through their awful preamps AND awful converters with a line input? It's like I'm ruining my audio twice. Until I get my Black Lion upgrade, I need to know what's going on here. I've been using line inputs 5-8 to avoid this whole mess in the meantime, and hopefully the BLA upgrade will make inputs 1-4 useful again so I can utilize more channels of quality outboard preamps. If anyone knows offhand, let me know.

(and yes... I know thatthe REAL answer is that I shouldn't even bother wiring in the mic pres...)

Mikeren 20th November 2009 10:03 PM

If the Digi is so awful why buy it? Really, have you recorded with it or are you just repeating what you've heard. (No offense, just wondering--there are a lot of other options out there). I have an 002 and recorded my most widely distributed stuff before I got a BLA mod.

Only the XLRs provides phantom, the line inputs do not.

The line input takes line level and the mic signal is much weaker so plugging a mic into the line in isn't really an option. (there are a few threads on that subject here).

All analog inputs go thru the Digi converters.

The BLA mod will improve the 4 pres and analog line specs. but it won't avoid going through the pres on line ins 1-4.

The only disadvantage about 1-4 is that a line signal goes through some unnecessary circuitry if you choose to use them for that.

Using 5-8 and the ADAT input will get you up to 12 line ins for external pres (at up to 48K) and only 5-8 will use the Digi converters.

I set up my patch bay so that I can change what I plug into 5-8 according to my needs.

ericstadium 20th November 2009 11:57 PM

I bought the 002R a few years back for my home setup, which is primarily just overdubs and editing. I originally bought it more for editing, but after setting up a booth at my house, I am getting a lot of overdub work.

I use an Apogee Trak2 for my go-to converters at my main studio and the quality difference is absolutely huge. The digi converters on the 96k and 192 interfaces don't compare. The depth of the Apogee vs the 002R also don't compare, which is why I'm invested in the BLA upgrade. I also like to process tracks sometimes, and I can't imagine tracking through the 002R, then going out them AND back in through them a 3rd time being a positive thing for my audio.

My concern is the double gain stage, but even after talking to the black lion guys, there is no way around it. I guess for important tracks, using 5-8 is the key.

Mikeren 21st November 2009 12:31 AM

Got ya.
You'll like what the BLA mod does for conversion. Mine is an older version with the same converters but the clock mods they did really opened up the sound and increased detail.
Good luck!

MR