Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/)
-   -   Recorded the Heaviest band this summer (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/441357-recorded-heaviest-band-summer.html)

sonicjosh 19th November 2009 02:38 AM

Recorded the Heaviest band this summer

Sound Asleep.zip

For the best mp3 samples/ (track 3 is the best)

They are called Sound Asleep. Definitely not conventional metal. The album clocks at over 30 minutes and its 3 tracks. Sound Asleep on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Recording details.....

It was recorded in there basement. The whole thing was multi-tracked but i recorded the guitarists in front of their amps which i think gave the overall mixes a more live and raw feel, lots of natural feedback and noise. Bass was recorded with a sunn 2000s and a ampeg solid state head both going into an 8x10 each. Guitars were each recorded with 2 amps and one mic on each amp then double tracked. The one guitarist used a soldano and the sunn bass head, and the other guitarist used the sunn with a traynor yba 1. Mic's were probably 57's and 421's.

umm everything went through the daking pres. converters were lucid, mixed in pro tools le. some samples on the kick and snare for cutting through the guitars. vox got a sm7 with a distressor going in. The band wanted it crushed so there is actually digital clipping, which is the only thing that bugs me about this recording, other than that I'm really proud of this one, didn't follow a lot of "rules" which is what i'm going to start doing more of.

ohmicide 19th November 2009 04:44 AM

woah waaaay too much bass

sonicjosh 19th November 2009 08:58 AM

Ya, Its suppose to be over the top, live these guys have so much low you feel it in your chest, we wanted that on the recording. This was one of those "wrong things" that made me just like the mixes even more.

Harvey Gerst 19th November 2009 05:43 PM

Actually, we recorded the heaviest metal band this summer:

Dallas Cowboys linemen's band goes for truly heavy sound | Dallas Cowboys News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

ohmicide 20th November 2009 06:43 AM

the overbearing bass makes just makes the mixes sound like they weren't properly mixed

my beyers were almost rumbling

i wonder how the mixes would translate to ipod headphones, my guess is that they'd probably break em heppy

Harvey Gerst 20th November 2009 05:33 PM

Oh, and here's a link to Free Reign's music:

Free Reign on MySpace

Dallas Cowboys or not, I think they're pretty damn good. but weighing in at over 1/2 a ton, they've got to be the "heaviest metal band" around.

sonicjosh 21st November 2009 04:53 AM

waste of time i guess. thanks.

Harvey Gerst 21st November 2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicjosh (Post 4806973)
waste of time i guess. thanks.

Was it? You got some pretty accurate evaluations of your mix. Maybe it's not what you wanted to hear, but then, why post your stuff in the first place? I guess if you considered the criticisms a "waste of time" for you, then they probably were.

I only posted in response to your "Recorded the Heaviest band this summer" title, since Free Reign is using something similar, They're advertising themselves as the "heaviest metal band".