Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   low output on SH-2 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/440810-low-output-sh-2-a.html)

slapatron 17th November 2009 10:32 AM

low output on SH-2

Hello,

I have just bought a SH-2 and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the output level of this machine.

It appears to be very low. When I turn it up full volume it only seems to register half of what my other synths do. I have a motu 828 and it only reaches the second bar of input level at full volume.

Other synths that i am using are newer and digital. This is my first old synth and maybe they have lower output levels?

Thanks

golden beers 17th November 2009 11:46 AM

have an 09 here, nice and loud. try pulling the jack out a little so it's tip is connecting with the out of phase terminal of the jack plug socket (5mm out). if you get a good signal your problem is the socket's tip is not connecting to the tip of your jack plug.

in this case: open up the synth and clean the socket terminals, bend the tip terminal in a little and if necessary re-flow the solder joints.

or,
just plug it in half way.

if pulling the jack out 5mm doesn't help you have deeper problems

Arcadia 17th November 2009 04:03 PM

My SH-2's output is definitely lower than the Jupiter-4 (which has selectable output levels), but it's not so low that it's problematic. I am, however, having a weird issue with the headphone output. Sometimes it works and the other times I get this weird garbled noise coming out of it. Any ideas? Also, some of my keys double-trigger even after having them cleaned by a tech. Do I maybe need to replace some parts to make it work better?

clusterchord 17th November 2009 05:30 PM

my SH-2 output is very solid. stronger than obxa and some other boards for example.

as goldenbeers suggested, see if you have a problem with intermmitent connection on jacks. piece of cake to fix. or could be you have a dried out capacitor somewhere in the audio signal path.. then you will have to replace it. or several. its a good thing to do on old synths, regardless.

kasprouch 17th November 2009 05:50 PM

you can also flip the input on your soundcard from +4 to -10... not sure if the 828 has the switches but try it out.

slapatron 17th November 2009 05:59 PM

thanks. I have already changed the gain on my output of the 828. no joy with that

The synth sounds good, it is just that it seems lower than other synths I have and I just wondered if that is normal. The synth was bought from a source that i heard about on this forum called modlessfactory and has just been properly serviced (I assume).

I have spoken to them and they told me to send it back and they will fix it but I only want to do that if there is a problem.

SO my question is -

Should the SH-2 at full volume be coming in hot on the input monitor of my Motu?

Thanks