Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   The Moan Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/)
-   -   local studio big shots (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/440762-local-studio-big-shots.html)

nicholassss 17th November 2009 05:32 AM

local studio big shots

there are some guys who run a studio out of their basement, not a bad thing, lots of us do it. But they have a really tight hold on the hardcore/punk/metal bands in my area. at first i was excited. these guys were doing what i was doing but they could afford better stuff. so early on i was recommending them when i thought i couldnt handle a project.

my problem with them now, and what i've notice the last year or so, everything sounds the same. no matter what genre, what kind of guitar gear, no matter what kind of drums. everything comes out sounding the same. and EVERYONE LOVES them. Is it lazy engineering? getting greedy? they keep upgrading gear, buying nicer and nicer stuff, but they're still slapping what sounds like the same plug ins over all the tracks. getting the songs out as fast as possible to get paid?

i've recorded one band in the last two months.

is it wrong of me to think in stead of making it sound "good" i should make the mix sound like the band i recorded? does that make sense?

the worst part is i know i'm not the only one who notices, because i see jokes cracked about it online all the time.

and bands still go to them.

I CHARGE LESS EVEN! and i put out a better(not trying to sound full of my self or anything) product in the end.

ramble ramble ramble.

anyone else feelin this around them?confoosed

ysmgj 17th November 2009 06:17 AM

i'm only just starting out in my neck of the woods, so i've been doing alot of research into what the main recording joints put out here,.... and yeah i get the same thing here.

there's one big place out here that does the whole package of tracking, mixing and mastering, all by the same guy, and everything from folk to popy acoustics to punk to death metal all sound like the same boring mix.

technically, the recordings are very clean, almost clinical, but thats the only thing they got going for them.

i listen and i'm like, "where's the band i saw last week?" or "where's the mix, all i hear is a recording, wheres the record?"

seriously, i wouldnt be surprised if the dude just hit record and then render.

so i've decided to charge the same, if not maybe a tad bit more, and let the clients decide where they want to go. i figure the ones i dont get, i probably wouldnt want to work with anyway if they cant tell the bloody difference. gooof

soundsundergroun 17th November 2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholassss (Post 4790851)
Is it lazy engineering? getting greedy?

No, it's actually lazy musicianship.

jimcroisdale 17th November 2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholassss (Post 4790851)
there are some guys who run a studio out of their basement, not a bad thing, lots of us do it. But they have a really tight hold on the hardcore/punk/metal bands in my area. at first i was excited. these guys were doing what i was doing but they could afford better stuff. so early on i was recommending them when i thought i couldnt handle a project.

my problem with them now, and what i've notice the last year or so, everything sounds the same. no matter what genre, what kind of guitar gear, no matter what kind of drums. everything comes out sounding the same. and EVERYONE LOVES them. Is it lazy engineering? getting greedy? they keep upgrading gear, buying nicer and nicer stuff, but they're still slapping what sounds like the same plug ins over all the tracks. getting the songs out as fast as possible to get paid?

i've recorded one band in the last two months.

is it wrong of me to think in stead of making it sound "good" i should make the mix sound like the band i recorded? does that make sense?

the worst part is i know i'm not the only one who notices, because i see jokes cracked about it online all the time.

and bands still go to them.

I CHARGE LESS EVEN! and i put out a better(not trying to sound full of my self or anything) product in the end.

ramble ramble ramble.

anyone else feelin this around them?confoosed

If he's working with this type of band it's likely that he'll encounter his fair share of musicians who aren't up to par, probably with gear that leaves something to be desired too.

So, in an effort to bolster his rep he's probably doing a lot of tuning/timing correction, re-amping and sample replacing. If he has his own favourite sounds and samples that he uses a lot, that would explain why they all sound the same.

It's a shame, but I would say that the reality of trying to keep a studio busy, when working with a lot of bands who may not be that good, he has to take this approach. If he recorded them 'as is' and said 'There's your record - that's how bad you sound' he'd have no customers at all. So he's sucking it up and embracing the grid/sample routine...

That's my guess anyway - i could (and often am) be wrong!

Cheers,

Jim

-silent-sam- 17th November 2009 09:20 PM

yeah I get that here......I deal with it in different ways depending on how desperate I am for money.

If I can I obviously prefer to track good bands with good musicians, who have there own sound.

Unfortunately sometimes you have to take on projects for bands that aren't good..... This is pretty common in the punk / hardcore / metal scene. I have been a big part of the punk / metal / hardcore scene for a long time...the underground punk / metal / hardcore scene has produced some of the best bands / musicans I have ever heard in my life......On the other hand one thing about this scene of music is that you don't nesacarly have to be good to be in it and there are a-lot of bands who put out records and tour that actually aren't very good..... A-lot of this music stems from punk rock.... and for a long time, the idea of punk rock has been that ANYONE who wants to can play.

To these bands having there sound polished is part of recording... and as much as I would rather record actual "talented" musicians and spend my time getting good sounds rather then editing drums and laying samples, thats part of the music.

I don't blame you at all for being turned off by this.... And I don't blame you for not wanting to take part. However at the end of the day as an engineer / producer it is all about serving the client and giving them what they want....not what you want.

If they want a polished recording that they can't duplicate live, that sounds like everyone else's recording...... then thats what you need to give them, if you want to work with them.

Unfortunately these types of projects make up the bulk of my projects...... however it is worth it for every GOOD band that I get to record.

Just make sure people know you are an engineer who can do it all..... if they want a polished, sterile recording that sounds like everyone else then you can do that.

If they want a recording that sounds like them, that has feeling and soul..... you can do that too!