Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Vox Tonelab LE Straight into Amp (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/440615-vox-tonelab-le-straight-into-amp.html)

tkingen 16th November 2009 08:45 PM

Vox Tonelab LE Straight into Amp

I've come across a good deal on a Vox Tonelab LE. It's problematic to try it out so I was hoping for some experienced opinions.

A few details - I play country and blues with a Tele straight into a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe. Sometimes it would be nice to have a little delay, chorus, volume pedal or distortion. Plus, if my amp goes on the fritz it would be nice to be able to plug straight into the PA. The Tonelab LE looks like it could do all this.

Most reports indicate the Tonelab works remarkably well into a PA. So, my question is this - how will it work using it as a stomp box directly into the amp? It appears that you can turn the amp and cab sims off, which would be essential for using it just as a stomp box. Is anyone doing this? If the Tonelab can work good as a stomper it might be a good solution.

steelyfan 16th November 2009 09:41 PM

I've got the LE and think it sounds really nice. Yes, you can run it like one big stomp pedal straight into your amp. It's also a cool studio tool, you'll need the manual so you can understand how to setup for how you are using it. It's got different settings for running it to an amp or DI to a console or PA, so change the settings to match your situation, it's a nice feature.

You'll want to create your own sounds. The stock sounds were compiled by someone who can't hear, start with the amp head and then pick a cab.

I've gotten great sounds out of it, and still do, the effects alone make it worth owning. If your amp sounds good and has your tone, just using the effects sounds wonderful. I like alot of the AC15 and AC30 and the blackface settings as a starting point to create my own tones, it's an organic and tone friendly box.

There is also an online community group who share their settings, ALOT of people love this thing, even plenty of analog snob boutique pedal owners.
Good luck.kfhkh

tkingen 16th November 2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelyfan (Post 4789361)
I've got the LE and think it sounds really nice. Yes, you can run it like one big stomp pedal straight into your amp. It's also a cool studio tool, you'll need the manual so you can understand how to setup for how you are using it. It's got different settings for running it to an amp or DI to a console or PA, so change the settings to match your situation, it's a nice feature.

You'll want to create your own sounds. The stock sounds were compiled by someone who can't hear, start with the amp head and then pick a cab.

I've gotten great sounds out of it, and still do, the effects alone make it worth owning. If your amp sounds good and has your tone, just using the effects sounds wonderful. I like alot of the AC15 and AC30 and the blackface settings as a starting point to create my own tones, it's an organic and tone friendly box.

There is also an online community group who share their settings, ALOT of people love this thing, even plenty of analog snob boutique pedal owners.
Good luck.kfhkh

Thanks steelyfan. Sounds encouraging!

XJR 16th November 2009 10:18 PM

I've got one, gigged it for 3 years before getting a big rack setup. I found it sounded best to me plugged into a valve power amp, I used a Marshall EL84 20\20 and a Marshall 4 x 12. When used like this you turn the cab sims off and it sounds like a normal amp. You can probably run it like this into the effects return of any valve amp to bypass the pre amp stage.

It's also a good recording tool, more convincing to my ears than the Line 6 stuff when DI'ed with cab sim on. Effects are great, tuner is good and whole thing is built like a tank.

You can can use it as a stomp box in front of the amp with amp sim and cab sim turned off. There's a small volume control on the rear of the unit that controls the units master output. You can use that to balance the gain of the unit so it doesn't distort you amp unintentionally.

Rabbit 16th November 2009 10:44 PM

I tracked a very good guitarist who used one of these a year or so ago and I thought it sounded pretty bad. It was recorded direct so there was no amp in the chain, which is how he wanted it. In the end we dumped those tracks and went with a live amp and a few pedals. I'm thinking now maybe he didn't have a handle on tweaking the thing after reading these posts. Good to know... thanks for the info.

tkingen 16th November 2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJR (Post 4789489)
I've got one, gigged it for 3 years before getting a big rack setup. I found it sounded best to me plugged into a valve power amp, I used a Marshall EL84 20\20 and a Marshall 4 x 12. When used like this you turn the cab sims off and it sounds like a normal amp. You can probably run it like this into the effects return of any valve amp to bypass the pre amp stage.

It's also a good recording tool, more convincing to my ears than the Line 6 stuff when DI'ed with cab sim on. Effects are great, tuner is good and whole thing is built like a tank.

You can can use it as a stomp box in front of the amp with amp sim and cab sim turned off. There's a small volume control on the rear of the unit that controls the units master output. You can use that to balance the gain of the unit so it doesn't distort you amp unintentionally.

This is sounding even more encouraging!

steelyfan 16th November 2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 4789573)
I tracked a very good guitarist who used one of these a year or so ago and I thought it sounded pretty bad. It was recorded direct so there was no amp in the chain, which is how he wanted it. In the end we dumped those tracks and went with a live amp and a few pedals. I'm thinking now maybe he didn't have a handle on tweaking the thing after reading these posts. Good to know... thanks for the info.

It does require some know how, although it's a fairly straight shot once set up is understood. I personally like the sound of an amp with a mic on it in a room, and the Le does great there too.

Most folks are skeptical about these all in one jobs, but the le delivers, it really does sound good. I was excited to learn it.

For the OP, I was running it straight in my board in stereo, using the proper output setup, and it sound great! Even DI, you CAN get a nice room sound with the delay or verb setting dialed in with taste.

Try the stereo delay on this thing, really really nice sounding.
You can use the foot pedal as a expression pedal for ANY of the effects, even as an off and on switch, which is really cool when using the delays.

Also, some additional fun , since it has two outputs, running analog stomp boxes on the two seperate outputs either Di or into two different amps is wonderful sounding, it works well with other pedals.

I had a nice, rich and clean boost sound I saved as a starting point, I actually used the overdrive in the Le and ran the Left channel out through a boss flanger/chorus (dreamy 80's sound) and channel 2 out through a EH POG and a deluxe memory man.......two strange worlds collide in one sound. Excellent.

S.Filpansick 18th November 2009 01:59 AM

I have one, and honestly, after years of trying different guitars, pickups, amps, and pedals... NOTHING got me closer to my idea of the "perfect" guitar tone than the Tonelab LE.

I do definitely agree that most of the factory presets suck, but it almost seems like they had all of the effects parameters cranked to show you what it can do.

If you spend a few days playing with it, and programming your own effects, I think you'll be very happy with it.

Oh... also, I've tried it through all of my amps, and I no longer play through an amp; I go straight into the board, every time. The LE has balanced outs, so I just use a trs/xlr cable to plug it in... no DI box required.

Rabbit 18th November 2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelyfan (Post 4789361)
Good luck.kfhkh

Steely, any chance you can post a link to this community? I'm borrowing one from the guitar player I tracked, he doesn't seem to use it much, and thought I'd see what I could get out of it through tweaking and as a bass player it be nice to have a leg up from folks who really have some experience with this pedal.

58lespaul 18th December 2009 09:01 PM

Bumpety bump bump...

I'm considering getting a Tonelab ST primarily for the effects and to save money... I primarily want it for the tuner, reverb, delay and volume functions. I have my own overdrive/distrotion stomp boxes that I like and I don't care much for the amp modeling. How would the effects sound paired with a Vox AC4TV? Any good or should I just save my money to buy a tuner, reverb, delay and volume pedal separately?