Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   more mic or more pre? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/440400-more-mic-more-pre.html)

gregory 16th November 2009 02:45 AM

more mic or more pre?

Hello, I'm looking to put together a decent vocal chain. Currently using AT4050 into Mackie 800r. I think I want a u47 type mic, and I've been reading largely positive reviews on the Pearlman TM1. Some 47 style mics are reported to beat the Pearlman, but at a much higher price point. Similiar money could buy Wunder, etc. or the TM1 and a used Pendulum Quartet or similiar. Should I put the money in the mic and live with the mackie pres, or grab the TM1 and a quality pre? tracking rooms are treated but not great. Thanks in advance

walla 16th November 2009 02:55 AM

Wunder is making beautiful mics, I don't know about the others.

Personally, I've got a serious soft spot for the AT 4050 — they're not exactly in vogue, but I will often choose a 4050 when it's in a drawer of fancier options. Sounds like you're definitely after a new mic, so take that for what it's worth, I suppose.

I'm really in love with the Great River MP presently — no one, at the moment, can touch it in terms of build quality; the impedance and loading options are useful; the second gain stage is great for certain applications; and you also get a killer DI out of the deal.

- Chris

gregory 16th November 2009 03:10 AM

I do like the at4050 as well. I have a pair and will always keep them. On my voice it can be slightly bright and sometimes have a grainy quality. I'm looking forward to a little thicker tone, something better for very sparse mixxes where the vocal needs to be big and present.

fhames 16th November 2009 03:11 AM

+1 on the Great River and Wunder Audio. Great products and great sound.

Bryant - Hames Music

walla 16th November 2009 03:12 AM

Definitely check out the Great River.

What's your compressor situation, on the way in?

- Chris

hazelmossobrien 16th November 2009 03:14 AM

you need a better pre. the 4050 is a great mic.

gregory 16th November 2009 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walla (Post 4786759)
Definitely check out the Great River.

What's your compressor situation, on the way in?

- Chris

Sadly no hardware comp at present. Only an old waves plug I've had since the ninties - C1 I think. I rarely get good results with it. My vocal tracking is not usually very dynamic.

paul999 16th November 2009 03:46 AM

I used the wunder with mackie pre's for a year and it was great. Through good pre's it is even better. I'd get the mic then the pre. You won't regret it IMO.

walla 16th November 2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregory (Post 4786825)
Sadly no hardware comp at present. Only an old waves plug I've had since the ninties - C1 I think. I rarely get good results with it. My vocal tracking is not usually very dynamic.

I would budget for a compressor as well, probably before the mic, even if it's something cheap just to slow it down a little so your waves plug doesn't have to do so much heavy lifting — combinations of gain control together are nice.

Distressors have a nice profile, if a little noisy; the Tube Tech CL-1B is a favorite.

BUT! And anyone who knows me knows that I'm a broken record, but the dbx 166A, the black and blue one, is dirt cheap, dead quiet and totally great to grab up to 3 or 4 dB from most anything in a musical way. Never more than $150 on eBay.

- Chris

gregory 16th November 2009 04:09 AM

Thanks Chris. A hardware comp is intriguing to me. For some time I've been interested in the Pendulum quartet II strip. Maybe a tube mic into a tube pre would be to much, but in general I find it hard to believe that the 5-7K usd mics into the mackie would be more of an improvement over a TM1 and a great vocal channel. But who knows? I do believe the mic is the most critical part of the front end.

hazelmossobrien 16th November 2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregory (Post 4786913)
but in general I find it hard to believe that the 5-7K usd mics into the mackie would be more of an improvement over a TM1 and a great vocal channel. But who knows? I do believe the mic is the most critical part of the front end.

Dude you will be shocked how much better your sound will be once you get a high end mic pre.

I also think the mic is the most important part of the equation, but a crappy pre won't do a nice mic justice. You can run a Ferrari on watered down low-octane fuel, but you can't expect good results, right?

get a good pre for your 4050, then when your bank account merits, get a high end mic.

I'd rather have an api 312 with a 4050 than a Mackie pre with a $5000 microphone.

My Tiny Circus 23rd November 2009 12:18 AM

Pearlman TM-1

I have the same things as you (4050 into 800R) as part of my drum setup and I also have a TM-1 into GR MP2NV which sounds much better.

I haven't used the 4050 for vocals since getting the TM-1.

Dave Pearlman himself recommends the A-Designs Pacifica for use with the TM-1. This is no surprise as the Pacifica is a Quad-Eight style pre and DP uses a Quad-Eight console so you'd expect the mic he designed and built to use in his setup to work well with that pre.

I plan to get a Pacifica when funds allow although the GR is very good.