Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Guitar practice amp (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/439853-guitar-practice-amp.html)

loglady 13th November 2009 10:51 PM

Guitar practice amp

Hello. I need a guitar practice amp for an electric, something quite cheap with a bit of character. And quite small.
I know very little about guitars and amps, but i have got a prs tremonti.
The kind of sounds i like are grungey/indie rock/quite heavy, but not metal or anything. I think the pod gear sounds a bit high-tech/characterless, but have very little experience with any other types.

Any suggestions form the slutz?

Raider 13th November 2009 10:59 PM

I recommend the Roland Cube.

Annex2 13th November 2009 11:11 PM

Vox AC4TV

rack gear 13th November 2009 11:11 PM

vox pathfinder, orange crush, there are tons a little solid state amps.

j2dafo 13th November 2009 11:18 PM

Tech21 amps. SansAmp pedal enclosed in a powered speaker cabinet.

TECH 21 - Trademark 30

vijsolo 13th November 2009 11:56 PM

Hi

Check this one out! All tube with 5W power that is very convinient to use at home not to get killed by neighbours. This amp just lover stompboxes.

Epiphone Valve Junior Guitar Combo Amplifier (5 Watts, 1x8 in.)

Cheerz!!

loglady 14th November 2009 12:57 AM

Thanks for the responses, looking into these options as we speak.kfhkh

NWSooner 14th November 2009 01:32 AM

+1 Vox AC4TV

PVAUDIO 14th November 2009 01:49 AM

+1 Valve Junior...

Very cheap yet good amp... easy to MOD.. sound good...

dgkenney 14th November 2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yolkboy (Post 4780408)
The kind of sounds i like are grungey/indie rock/quite heavy, but not metal or anything.

Blackstar HT5
Blackstar Amplification

Dan

Knox 14th November 2009 03:00 AM

the little Pro Junior is cool

Unclenny 14th November 2009 03:24 AM

The PJ may be small but it has big balls.cooge

Not sure about it for practice.

altruistic8 14th November 2009 03:42 AM

Roland Micro Cube

onion 14th November 2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j2dafo (Post 4780498)
Tech21 amps. SansAmp pedal enclosed in a powered speaker cabinet.

TECH 21 - Trademark 30

+1. I have a really nice 5W tube amp (Swart Space Tone). Of course, it sounds best when cranked. It's not practice volume, it's LOUD! I think of it as a recording amp. The Trademark 30 sounds pretty decent turned down low. Built in DI (XLR out) and real spring reverb. Light and portable. Perfect for those Brooklyn-style club/bar gigs...no need to mic me up, just take the DI to the board + I have my own monitor. Live sound guys love me for it.

kfhkh

Hysteria 14th November 2009 02:02 PM

Vox Valvetronix.

You can get a 15w version for £100 (probably $100 in the US or less). For the money, they sound AMAZING. You won't be sorry!

jimcroisdale 14th November 2009 02:06 PM

Orange Tiny Terror.

Play at home with a small cab, and achieve gig volumes with a 4x12.

Jim

Stitch333 14th November 2009 03:01 PM

Couple people mentioned the Epiphone valve junior which is very cool.
Also cool is an old Gibson Skylark tremolo.
Maybe one of the old fender silverface champs.
Couple extra bucks and you could look at a weber or ceriatone...

Any of these (in good working order) will sound great and be light on the wallet.

S.F.Sorrow 20th November 2009 12:45 AM

The Epiphone Valve Jr is often mentioned as a nice small guitar amp but what about the Harley Benton GA5? Available from Thomann for 81 euro, including British VAT.

I looks exactly, and I mean EXACTLY like the Valve Jr, but a different color and with an added tone control. Surely this must be the same amp, made by the same Chinese factory and sold under Thomann's own brand? Can anyone confirm? I've been considering one of these for my studio and for 81 euros it looks like a bargain. The clips on Thomanns website sound pretty nice as well.

cosmicsync 20th November 2009 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 4782067)
Vox Valvetronix.

You can get a 15w version for £100 (probably $100 in the US or less). For the money, they sound AMAZING. You won't be sorry!

I've got the AD15VT, and I just love it. Eleven pre-amp models, and various effects. If you are worried about the neighbors, the AD30VT has a separate "power level control" on the back that lets you adjust the output wattage, while leaving the Master volume cranked, so you get better tone at low volumes.

MusEsq 20th November 2009 03:04 AM

Valve Jr.

+++1 on the Epi Valve Jr. It has soul, and actually does get
pretty loud. Distortion starts at about 11:00. Looooove it!kfhkh

Stories4Boys 27th January 2010 09:55 PM

++1 for Harley Benton. Absolutely great value for money!kfhkh

Yeah, right... 27th January 2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWSooner (Post 4780901)
+1 Vox AC4TV

++1 thumbsup

Enjoy, Mike

fowler137 27th January 2010 10:11 PM

Check out the Fender Super Champ XD.

Tons of different sounds, decent effects, it's a 15w tube amp. I picked one up and love it. Nice addition to my amp collection.

bash 27th January 2010 10:32 PM

+1 Vox AC4TV

Turdadactyl 27th January 2010 11:39 PM

Vox Brian May Special. You can get them on ebay for under $150. They sound cool. They have tons of range. They're collectibles. And they do lots of cool stuff for you if you use them to record.

Brent Hahn 28th January 2010 12:08 AM

Vox Pathfinder.

I recorded a rehearsal of my son's band -- speed-metalish, Les Pauls -- and it held its own against an Orange Tiny Terror. Pretty impressive for 60 bucks. And at lower volumes with a Strat, it's Hendrixy.

Iggy Poop 28th January 2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Vox Valvetronix.

My friend just bought the 50 watter and we messed around with it the other night. The best modeling on the market, feels like your playing through a tube amp. Also sounded real good recorded direct. Way better than the Line 6 stuff and I always hated modeling stuff but this I would consider very usable.

Dimes 28th January 2010 12:29 AM

I was quite surprised with the Peavey vypyr 15. A student of mine got one and I dug it enough to get one for myself to practice on. It's got a good range of tones for around $100.

tomdarude 28th January 2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Vox Valvetronix.

2nd kfhkh

normally I´m a pretty snob when it comes to guitars & amps, I think to record nice
guitar tones it pays off to get your gear up to specs....there´s a lot of crazy good vintage & boutique gear that get´s you there, involving different picks, guitars, amps, pedals, cabs, mics, pres etc.....

BUT playing and noodling away just for fun in your bedroom, I´ll want something that put´s out a READYMADE guitar-sound FROM A RECORD!! and this preferably @ 65dB
not something that´s easy to mike up and & record....that´s a whole nother point (and sound)...

I think that was what initially hyped the first Line6 Pod for guitarplayers and also what makes it sound so sh***y when you try to use it in a mix.

a friend just bought a VOX Valvetronix VT-30 (the smaller one has only a 8", but I think the 30watt / 10" is enough) and it sounds pretty nice and inspiring to play in the bedroom at low levels!!

we put my pre-cbs strat into it and instantly got a nice warm, crunchy knopfler picking sound + fx in 10 seconds....

YouTube - VOX Valvetronix Series Demo

I think I´ll get one for my bedroom, too...it´s super cheap!

just don´t use it in the studio heh

Darwin James 28th January 2010 12:45 AM

Micro Cube. Thread done.