Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   MIO Console for Live-Mixing ? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/439698-mio-console-live-mixing.html)

Reiner 13th November 2009 02:34 PM

MIO Console for Live-Mixing ?

I wonder if this will work for example for small live gigs.
I think of a setup like this:
2 or maybe 3 2882s togheter with a MacBookPro and a Euphonix Mix & Control. Because I red on the euphonix-page that the MIO is using the Eucon-protocol. How big is the latency while using the MIO Console with plugins for a livemix? I just hav ein mind that there was a really really low latency, and wasn´t it also a constant latency? Has somebody here tested a setup like this? How workable is it really in a live sitaution, when you need quick access of some things like mic-gain, eq, compressor etc. And what about the Q-factor of the "cannel-strip" eq. Is it even thin enough for killing some frequencies on a monitor-path?
Or is somebody here just using the 2882 unit incl. MIO Console for insert fx on an analog console, instead of a rack?

Reiner 14th November 2009 11:58 AM

bump cooge

Sander A 14th November 2009 02:44 PM

I use a couple of 2882's for live broadcast applications. Mostly not more than 12 channels.

The latency is not noticeable, I don't know how low it is but it wont be a problem.
You can set the q factor as thin ass you like, all the way down to 0.01 so thats good to.

If you get yourself familiar with the mixer you can access everything fairly quick but it takes some time getting used to this way of working. It's a different flow than analog outboard.

For me the only downside of the 2882 in live situations is the mic gain. If you turn up the gain while there's audio running through you hear glitches. This won't happen if you type in the gain amount. I use some outboard pres with gain knobs for this in some applications.

Sound quality is just awesome and it's solid as a rock, very reliable.kfhkh

Reiner 15th November 2009 01:03 PM

That sounds nice! Thanks for your commend.
But with preamp-gain problem it means, that if i´m using the controller for changing the gain itll cause some digital artifacts while chaging? That´s bad, i hoped this could be an extremly nice all-in-one solution where you don´t have to take any extra preamps with you. But even if you have to type the new volumen, i think it´ll be worth of testing this setup on some live gigs.
Btw. would you be able to record the signal dry, while sending the processed signals to the PA? (I think the MIO has it´s on recorder, hasn´t it?) And what about doing a live-recording of a concert (no FOH-Mixing) with the MIO-System. Would you be able to do a mix while recording it, so that your able to print the live-recording to give to sell it right after the concert to the audience or do you have to bounce the mix in realtime first, like in pro tools?

swafford 15th November 2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiner (Post 4784685)
Btw. would you be able to record the signal dry, while sending the processed signals to the PA? (I think the MIO has it´s on recorder, hasn´t it?) And what about doing a live-recording of a concert (no FOH-Mixing) with the MIO-System. Would you be able to do a mix while recording it, so that your able to print the live-recording to give to sell it right after the concert to the audience or do you have to bounce the mix in realtime first, like in pro tools?

Yes, you could set up several different routings so the FOH, foldback and recording have different levels and processing. THe MIO records in split stereo, so you'd need a product like de-interleaver to make a single file for burning. We do a scaled down version of this for band rehearsals - use the MIO as a 'board' and record rehearsals so everyone has a copy at the end of the practice.

Reiner 16th November 2009 07:35 PM

Okay that sounds nice. I hoped it would work this way kfhkh. But I dindn´t understand if there is the opprotunity to bounce the mix you done while recording, offline? Is it possible or do i have to bounce it online like in Pro Tools? Or do i have the chance to record all singals seperate, mix them in realtime and record the stereomix itself, too? This would rock! bumpkin Because in this way you´ll be able to to sone liverecordings and giving some CDs of the concert to the people afterwards! (together with a copy stationdiddlydoo)
Btw. does the MIO console support other plugin formts suc as AU or RTAS, so that I´ll be able to use my plugs like Abbeyroad and Sonnox etc. or is it just the MH Channelstrip?

Edit:
And does the MIO allow you to do 5.1 mixes?

Musician 22nd April 2010 09:38 AM

Would love to know more on handson experiences ?

Richie 22nd April 2010 01:09 PM

MIO for Live

Steve Devino at Granite Rocks Live has tons of experience with Metric Halo gear and is a GREAT dealer, lots of support and questions answered at all hours. Do yourself a favor and contact him and you'll get straight answers.

Granite Rocks Live

Keep us posted as to how it works out.