Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Upcoming synths for 2010? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/439345-upcoming-synths-2010-a.html)

nicolasmasset 12th November 2009 08:59 AM

Upcoming synths for 2010?

Hi everybody,

I've been thinking about getting a virus ti2 somewhere next year, but was just wondering if anybody has some juicy info on a possible new virus? I don't know the general product-refresh cycle of access, but the ti2 seemed more like a ti1.5, as most of it was the same. Do you guys think 2010 is too soon?

Or are there any other comparable dance synths coming out next year that I should know about? I know this will most likely be a guessing game, but you never know what somebody might have heard an access rep say or something ;)

Thanks in advance!

Nicolas

Reptil 12th November 2009 10:08 AM

There's a lot of new stuff for the eurorack modular format coming.

Yoozer 12th November 2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolasmasset (Post 4774555)
dance synths

Just because it comes with a lot of presets geared towards dance doesn't mean that it's a dance synth. hittt

Seriously though, the economy's still not recovered, so the pickings might be slim.

Arcadia 12th November 2009 02:53 PM

Virus seems to be updated every 3 years or so. My guess is we won't see new products in 2010. The best way to hedge your bet would be to get a TI Snow or a used first-gen. TI. Most other announcements will be made in January at the NAMM show.

jonnypowell 12th November 2009 03:24 PM

Sorry, but I can't stand the sound of them.. IMO I'd check out some of the nord stuff.. They sound so much better. We bought a virus snow and have turned it on maybe twice.. The money can be spent better elsewhere.

e-smile-z 12th November 2009 03:30 PM

Namm gonna show us...

GYang 12th November 2009 08:41 PM

Why would we need any new synths at all?
For next 500 years I have no chance to explore several analogue, digital and VSTi synths I have to full extent.
When new synth arrive, old becomes forgotten for some time and it starts all over again.

nicolasmasset 12th November 2009 09:08 PM

I have a nordlead 2x already, but it is a bit limited. I heard that the ti2 really is better than the ti because of the extra power, so don't think I'll be going for a first gen.

ohmicide 12th November 2009 09:24 PM

hopefully a prophet 08 rack pe edition and an upgrade package for the regular one

im thinking about getting one but the encoders issue is a bit of a turn off

goldphinga 12th November 2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alehoe (Post 4776466)
hopefully a prophet 08 rack pe edition and an upgrade package for the regular one

im thinking about getting one but the encoders issue is a bit of a turn off

Theres already and upgrade pack available for the standard P08

Wake 12th November 2009 09:46 PM

I know its not new, but I'm really thinking I might get a DSI Poly Evolver

But I just got a Virus Ti2, Tetr4, Microkorg XL and have a Moog Little Phatty enroute to me now.

Can you say Gearslut?

Arcadia 12th November 2009 09:47 PM

He's talking about the P08 rack, for which there is not yet a Pot Edition upgrade.

ohmicide 12th November 2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldphinga (Post 4776549)
Theres already and upgrade pack available for the standard P08

yes there is, but not for the rack version

shadowfac 12th November 2009 11:29 PM

I don't know about "new" as in "newly released", but I have a long list of stuff I'd like to buy sometime next year:

- Some Yamaha FM synth with a more decent interface (probably SY-77 or SY-99)

- Another dotcom cabinet and assorted modules

- A couple fx boxes

- One or two patchbays

- Some analog drum synth/machine (Vermona DRM-1, maybe)

- Korg Legacy Digital Edition (need those Wavestation sounds back)

seen-da-sizer 13th November 2009 12:21 AM

Waldorf Stromberg, overdue for years now... boing

msl 13th November 2009 12:46 AM

I wouldn't mind a LinnDrum 2 ....just saying!

clip6 13th November 2009 01:06 AM

MacBeth X-Factor

I'm excited about that unit for some reason.

gregwar 13th November 2009 01:25 AM

someone mentioned a hartmann neuron pci card to me a couple weeks ago but that was looking like pure vapours atm.. was apparently supposed to come out a couple years ago..?

the only new synth technology i'd like to see is actually working, non-buggy midi sysex communicating between logic, mac osx and old hardware. i've been using mostly midiquest 10 xl but also sounddiver and unisynth and nothing satisfies..

Reptil 13th November 2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregwar (Post 4777364)
someone mentioned a hartmann neuron pci card to me a couple weeks ago but that was looking like pure vapours atm.. was apparently supposed to come out a couple years ago..?

you can forget about that. the company folded, sad but true.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregwar (Post 4777364)
the only new synth technology i'd like to see is actually working, non-buggy midi sysex communicating between logic, mac osx and old hardware. i've been using mostly midiquest 10 xl but also sounddiver and unisynth and nothing satisfies..

+1
it's 2009 and it's not just "legacy support" but a crucial application in many pro studios. ridiculous situation really. a gap in the market.

CasimirsBlake 13th November 2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer (Post 4777183)
Waldorf Stromberg, overdue for years now... boing

If they ever make it... lets hope it's a Blofeld with more oscs and polyphony, better converters, and much more sample RAM.

All I want now is a small box that can do standard VA stuff AND use my own samples. Blofeld is so tempting but ... 60MB RAM isn't enough. :(

SovietSpaceChild 13th November 2009 07:02 AM

New machine from Elektron.

Yoozer 13th November 2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GYang (Post 4776286)
Why would we need any new synths at all?

Old ones eventually break hittt

User interface choices that made sense 2 decades ago are hopelessly out of date now.

I'd really like FM to take off again, but it faces 3 problems:
- no realistic sounds (Motif piano, which means the largest group of buyers won't get it)
- by its nature it's not going to be analog, which will cause lots of internet grief
- people still complain about it sounding cheesy and having killed real analog (as if it weren't moving solidly in the direction of DCOs and reduced interfaces already)

To get the most out of FM, with its complex nature - you require a good way of control already. The old hardware is simply ancient and employs ship-in-a-bottle editing. The MIDI processors on the old hardware are anemic and sputter and choke on more than 3 program changes in a row.

The newer hardware still uses the old way of control and is limited at 4 ops.

Effective FM synthesis as explained in Massey's book works with clusters of operators - 2 or 3 in a group - and stresses the importance of starting with simply 2 operators at a time.

Keytracking - immensely powerful - is severely underused because it's hidden - simply not considered vital.

The envelope curves should employ sliders with knobs below them to set the curves and other parameters (hold time, loop points, etc.). Since it's pretty much impossible to emulate the multipoint envelopes in Absynth and FM7 without resorting to a screen, drop the option or make 'm available as a set of templates that can be edited on the synth itself or on a computer, and in that case the sliders and knobs change to a set of generic controls for specific points in the envelope (e.g. you'd create a looping envelope with 4 peaks, and the sliders would control the levels, and the knobs the rate of descent).

The pitch LFO on the DX7 - it's just a single one. Providing more of 'm so you don't have to sacrifice more operators would add more livelyness to the sound - and that's where the value of the 8-op FS1r comes in.

A new interface should reflect these changes, and should provide full control for at least 2 operators - the upper row for 1, 2 and 3, the lower row for 4, 5 and 6 with the operators in the algorithms ordered in such a way that the separate access provides you with a maximum of control (e.g. flipping between 3 operators is on average kept to a minimum). All 6 like on the Jellinghaus programmer is simply too much, and its brutal way of organizing all knobs in a grid doesn't actually give you a better interface simply because it's got lots of knobs.

rockmanrock 13th November 2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoozer (Post 4778384)
The pitch LFO on the DX7 - it's just a single one. Providing more of 'm so you don't have to sacrifice more operators would add more livelyness to the sound - and that's where the value of the 8-op FS1r comes in.

This is what I like about my TG33, each of the four voice elements has an independent LFO and it makes all the difference. I'd imagine this is why people get so excited about the TX816 with all that layering going on.

Then there's having the LFOs generated per voice/note rather than globally to the patch, that is something I'd like to have with a new FM synth. Analogue filters to give the sound some depth and dirt would be amazing. They make things too clean these days.

Yoozer 13th November 2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmanrock (Post 4778524)
Analogue filters to give the sound some depth and dirt would be amazing. They make things too clean these days.

Yes, but if you want to have a nice polyphony it's going to cost you; 4 times if you want multimode. I'd rather have modeled filters where you can have the choice between clean and dirty. Computing power has increased sufficiently, I think.

crufty 13th November 2009 05:29 PM

i would like a really cheap multi channel hi/low var freq shelving eq. 10 channels in 1 or 2 ru would be swell. low-end discrete or IC would do the trick.

Don Solaris 13th November 2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolasmasset (Post 4774555)
Hi everybody,

I've been thinking about getting a virus ti2 somewhere next year, but was just wondering if anybody has some juicy info on a possible new virus? I don't know the general product-refresh cycle of access, but the ti2 seemed more like a ti1.5, as most of it was the same. Do you guys think 2010 is too soon?

Or are there any other comparable dance synths coming out next year that I should know about? I know this will most likely be a guessing game, but you never know what somebody might have heard an access rep say or something ;)

Thanks in advance!

Nicolas

i don't buy new gear...

i'm more than happy with the 'old' gear

SovietSpaceChild 13th November 2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoozer (Post 4778384)
as if it weren't moving solidly in the direction of DCOs and reduced interfaces already

Citation needed.

Yoozer 14th November 2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild (Post 4780594)
Citation needed.

DCO: JX3P. Poly-61. Prophet 600. Moog SL8.

Fewer controls: Oberheim Matrix 6 and Matrix 1000. JX8P. JX10. None of 'm could compete with the DX7s polyphony anyway, and the DX7 provided the final step as it proved that customers were more than willing to do away with the interface. Microprocessor control already had shown its value, and while the idea of editing as a ship in the bottle sounds rather offensive to us now, then it promised far more possibilities without consuming a lot of front-panel real estate and without costing a lot because you had to source various potmeters.

edit: add the Rhodes Chroma (1982!). Even did computer interfacing. How neat! That and Moog's Source was the vanguard. If we imagine for a minute that the DX7 never would've existed, I still think that analogs developing further like the Victorian age into steampunk is probably not how it would've happened.

SovietSpaceChild 14th November 2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoozer (Post 4780685)
DCO: JX3P. Poly-61. Prophet 600. Moog SL8.

Fewer controls: Oberheim Matrix 6 and Matrix 1000. JX8P. JX10. None of 'm could compete with the DX7s polyphony anyway, and the DX7 provided the final step as it proved that customers were more than willing to do away with the interface. Microprocessor control already had shown its value, and while the idea of editing as a ship in the bottle sounds rather offensive to us now, then it promised far more possibilities without consuming a lot of front-panel real estate and without costing a lot because you had to source various potmeters.

The Matrix 6, Matrix 1000, JX8P and JX10 all came out years after after the DX7. From my point of view, they were more of a response to the success of the DX7, rather than following some trend concurrently along with the DX.

pyvnd 14th November 2009 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild (Post 4778179)
New machine from Elektron.

Yep. That seems to be it. Winter namm will tell us