Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   3 Great Preamps Pick One for my Final Choice (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/438623-3-great-preamps-pick-one-my-final-choice.html)

thepr0 9th November 2009 11:13 PM

3 Great Preamps Pick One for my Final Choice

ok here's what i have to work with

1-Golden Age Pre-73 Fully Modded $599 (none of that weak chinese crap)
Golden Age Pre-73

2- Avedia MA5 $799
Avedis Audio MA5

3- Avalon m4 $1000 (used)
Buy Avalon M5 Mono Pure Class A Microphone Preamp | Microphone Preamps | Musician's Friend

one of these will be my next pre amp im really steering into the first 2 i dont want to get suck in into the avalon

im looking for a nice sound little bit punchy with sweet color to my vocals
pre's running trough dbx 160 or art vla II

vote on your choice of pre and why then ill make my decision thank you

Heartfelt 9th November 2009 11:50 PM

The MA5 is 500 series, I believe, so you will need a rack as well. If you are open to color, consider looking at Atlas Audio's Juggernaut as it has lots of tonal change ability, including changing between different transformers on both input and output. It has my attention.

lpkyer 10th November 2009 12:02 AM

youre not including a rack for the ma5...

Tomer1 10th November 2009 01:36 AM

If you want an 1073 clone preamp you might aswell look into getting an SCA rack with a N73 card.
Both fully assembled should run you about 1000-1200$ I imagine but after that you can get more flavores like API for example for 200$ a channel if you can solder.

If you want to go the easy route Fully moded Pre73 is the way to go.
or a Vintagedesign M73D for around 1K or Great River pre for about the same which is a "test and prooven" preamp.

rty5150 10th November 2009 01:52 AM

so why don't you want a vintech dual 72 or great river me-1nv used?
if you are willing to drop $1000, i would go that route. i mean... carnhills and sowters...

with the ma5...gotta get a lunchbox/power supply.

rty5150 10th November 2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepr0 (Post 4765775)

1-Golden Age Pre-73 Fully Modded $599 (none of that weak chinese crap)
Golden Age Pre-73

btw, that weak chinese crap still sounds pretty good. i will put my chameleon labs up against my ssl alpha vhd and focusrite isa428 any day!

trepbale 10th November 2009 02:10 AM

MA5

First off, the avalon is on the cleaner side (to my ears), so if you're looking for color, that prob going to be choice 3...

I've never tried the GAP73, but it does get alotta love here. However, my vote would be for the MA5. It's that magic touch for alot of things, but it KILLS ON VOCALS. I recently upgraded my chain with that, an RME ADI-2, and a RNLA. I almost **** my pants on the improvement (from a Focusrite VMP w/ DigCard). On top of that, you can then have 4-5 slots (depending if you go stereo) left for expansion with the 6 slot API. If you go VKing, you can get it for about 1100 (One MA5 and six slot lunchbox)...

Plus Avedis is maaaaaaad helpful. Emails back quick and is always willing to help on the technical side of things. kfhkh

minor_glitch 10th November 2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rty5150 (Post 4766333)
btw, that weak chinese crap still sounds pretty good. i will put my chameleon labs up against my ssl alpha vhd and focusrite isa428 any day!

+1 kfhkh
I'm more than pleased with the results of my stock Pre-73 - Pro VLA II chain!

Audio Enginerd 10th November 2009 02:17 AM

I love my MA5, but having a DI stock is helpful to some as well... I'm loving my Great River for Vox and DI purposes lately.

David C. 10th November 2009 03:06 AM

Between my stock (Chinese crap kfhkh) GAP 73 and my Avalon 737 and some Mackie and Hill channels, I can get whatever I want pretty much. Oh, also have a stereo ART thing, but the Avalon and GAP are my go to pre's.