Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   api 550a eq- does anything compare? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/4264-api-550a-eq-does-anything-compare.html)

ray dsr 10th May 2003 07:57 AM

api 550a eq- does anything compare?

I just heard a 550a on electric guitar for the first time.

A-MAZ-ING!

Is there anything I should hear before I plunk down hard-earned dough on as many channels as I can afford?

Thanks.

thethrillfactor 10th May 2003 09:05 AM

Does anything compare?

Maybe a 550B?

chrisso 10th May 2003 09:48 AM

Or the 550?

Wiggy Neve Slut 10th May 2003 10:02 AM

Perhaps a 560 graphic... IMHO the most seriously underrated EQ in the world. There is not one application where i have not been able to come up with something that isnt useable where i have been left unhappy. granted they cant dot he pultec thing or the airy gml stereo bus thang ( not that i would use an API on stereo buss)

Talk about sculpting these things are the bomb along with drums... watchout! cos they rock so freakin hard. These thigns are insanely musical and im sure others can testify to that point. When u cut on them which is what i mainly do it wont ****t htings over in a nasty way either, im gona save for a lunch box full of them to go with my 3124+..... drums from hell.kfhkh

PEACE
Wiggy

ray dsr 10th May 2003 01:08 PM

I was hearing the new 550a that's part of the 7600. I borrowed the unit to try out, not really thinking that I would buy one, BUT MAN (!), I had no idea what I was missing! Now I have to buy this thing!

We tried the pre with a sm57 on a 65 Deluxe with a Strat. Awesome sound!
Then we tried the instrument DI with the same guitar using massive amounts of boost. We were able to match the amp sound SOOOO much better than any amp "simulator". In both cases the guitar was jumping so far out of the speakers that I swear it was going past my head!

Seriously, is there any other manufacturer that makes an eq that can do this so well?

Thanks.

paterno 10th May 2003 05:18 PM

Re: api 550a eq- does anything compare?

Quote:

Originally posted by ray dsr
I just heard a 550a on electric guitar for the first time.

A-MAZ-ING!

Is there anything I should hear before I plunk down hard-earned dough on as many channels as I can afford?

Thanks.

Probably not. They were really onto something with the 550a. I like the 550b's as well, but the Q doesn't seem as wide to me as the 550a's. A set of old Quad 8's might be cool to check out, but they are more gentle than the 550a can be when you push it.

If you can swing it, get a couple of the "a's". And try them on acoustic guitar as well...

Cheers,
John

vudoo 10th May 2003 06:04 PM

One of my favorite EQ and Pre for drums are the Daking stuff.
I do a lot of drum tracking for small record label and Film soundtracks and we ususally rent some Neve/API with a bunch of 550a. I tried out A LOT of other pre/EQ but was never fully satisfied compare to the Neve/API-550a set up...UNTIL i stumble across the Daking stuff ( thanks to Billy Ward...drummer for Joan Osborne ). I bought 8 of them and my drums has never sounded better.
One thing that i prefer about the Daking over the Neve is CONSISTENCY...even though old Neve are cool, they sound SO different from one module to another.

e-cue 11th May 2003 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by vudoo
One of my favorite EQ and Pre for drums are the Daking stuff.
I do a lot of drum tracking for small record label and Film soundtracks and we ususally rent some Neve/API with a bunch of 550a. I tried out A LOT of other pre/EQ but was never fully satisfied compare to the Neve/API-550a set up...UNTIL i stumble across the Daking stuff ( thanks to Billy Ward...drummer for Joan Osborne ). I bought 8 of them and my drums has never sounded better.
One thing that i prefer about the Daking over the Neve is CONSISTENCY...even though old Neve are cool, they sound SO different from one module to another.

The Daking's always sound more like Neve eq's to me than API's (a totally different beast). Where are you using your Daking's on the kit? I'm thinking about checking them out again (it's been about a year since I touched one).

ray dsr 11th May 2003 01:23 AM

What are the differences between the Neve eq and the api? I haven't had a chance to hear the Neve.

I'll check out the Daking stuff.

Thanks.

vudoo 11th May 2003 10:39 AM

I use the Daking on all my kits...I have 8 of them and it`s very rare that i need/use more than 8 mic for my kit.
I really dig the EQ on this beast and the Pre's sound great on my drums. As i said earlier, it took a while to find something that i'm as satisfied as my usual Neve/API-550a rental set up.
I've been very busy tracking drums since i got them and have not had a chance to try them out on other instruments though.