Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/)
-   -   Mix demonstrating BAC500 and Beez Neez mikes (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/409992-mix-demonstrating-bac500-beez-neez-mikes.html)

asagaai 29th July 2009 05:20 PM

Mix demonstrating BAC500 and Beez Neez mikes
 
I just ran a rough mix out and back in- I used BAC500 on snare/kick/bass/vocals/sax/piano.

Used Beez Neez James and Jadevariously on piano, vocals, saxaphone.

Attached is rough non mastered mix for people who just want to get a taste of the vibe this gear brings to the table- is a soft blues number.

Cheers
GJ
Newcastle/OZ

withintheflux 5th August 2009 08:46 AM

Sounds terrific! good work.

I'm seriously considering the James. Perhaps you wouldn't mind advising me since you have both it and the Jade.

I am looking for a darker Tube condenser. I have an aversion to LDC's that are too sizzly or sibilant. Im looking for a details but warm and unhyped solution. The sames of the James have really intrigued me. How would you describe the difference between the two in use?

blake

mistaD 5th August 2009 10:38 PM

as soon as I read darker, I knew its the James that you wanted. Its darker then the Jade for sure!

asagaai 6th August 2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by withintheflux (Post 4445053)
Sounds terrific! good work.

I'm seriously considering the James. Perhaps you wouldn't mind advising me since you have both it and the Jade.

I am looking for a darker Tube condenser. I have an aversion to LDC's that are too sizzly or sibilant. Im looking for a details but warm and unhyped solution. The sames of the James have really intrigued me. How would you describe the difference between the two in use?

blake

Hi Blake-thanks for the compliment.

In terms of Jade/James I would summarise mikes as follows:

Jade: Has a U47 type vibe- but more "compressed" ie not quite the transient depth/size. Is detailed and has air in the 10K plus range, and is modern bright in the 4to 8K range which gives it a modern style sound. So far I have used on piano/acoustic guitars and it is great on vocals.

James: Again has a U47 vibe-but does not have the air in the 10K plus range to my ear, and it is less bright than the Jade in the 4 to 8 K range which means it avoids spittiness and esses. The bottom sounds big because of the vintage top end. Sounds like it has a slight curve from 1 to about 4 K but then slopes down afterwards. Awesome on vocals for a vintage wine "aged" sound, great on saxaphone and I would hazard a pair in M/S would be great on drum room. Next session I will use FOK with the -10 pad in.

Actually with that song above- I tracked vocals with pearlman Tm1 (with Beez Neez K47 single backplate capsule) with a black frilled stocking over it and above a Beez Neez James. The TM1 gave that huge air transient bite and aggression, and the James gave that smooth buttery mids body-mixed together.

That saxaphone was tracked with James in omni and an M160 close, and the pianos were tracked with a Jade and the TM1 in M/S.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Petelebu 6th August 2009 05:26 AM

the only thing i dont like is that the snare sounds like in a 8 by 14 room, doesnt sound too open, the vibe is great, the production is great, everything is great i just dont like that little detail, awesome man.

asagaai 6th August 2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petelebu (Post 4448241)
the only thing i dont like is that the snare sounds like in a 8 by 14 room, doesnt sound too open, the vibe is great, the production is great, everything is great i just dont like that little detail, awesome man.

Hey Petelebu- firstly thanks for the compliments and yeah-I hear you on the snare.

The tracking room is 40 feet by 23 feet!!!!

I had a sound of a dry thick heavy snare in my mind. So I arranged for a damping pad to be placed on the snare to choke it back. In the headphone mix when tracking sounded great.

When I mixed the snare was too dark- so I eq'd in some mids and put on a little pate reverb-still dry but.

So the sound was intentionally dry and damped-I could increase the plate reverb- I have not yet run it past the client who will need to give final direction on how wet/dry the snare ought be.

We tracked 3 songs, on a song which has a Japanese edge (used TOMS to get huge Japanese drum gong sounds) and is HUGE and open-the drummer suggested opening the snare which we did. That song is HUGE and I have not mixed...bit freaked out by fitting it all in.....wworried

Thanks for your view-which I can understand-I just did not want that wet washy snare for a gritty vibe blues one. Donno-whtya other people think-more snare plate or leave it?

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

withintheflux 6th August 2009 09:11 AM

Thanks GJ for your comments.

I am torn on the decision between the Jade and the James. I sure wish that I could demo them. Damn!

I plan to use the purchase for vocals mainly. It sounds like either might fit the bill suitably. I may just go for the Jade as the vocal samples have a warm, almost compressed quality to them.

blake

asagaai 25th August 2009 11:01 AM

Hows the James
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by withintheflux (Post 4448645)
I am torn on the decision between the Jade and the James. I sure wish that I could demo them. Damn!

I plan to use the purchase for vocals mainly. It sounds like either might fit the bill suitably. I may just go for the Jade as the vocal samples have a warm, almost compressed quality to them.

blake


Hey Blake- I see you got the James- what do you think? Tracked anything with it yet. If you track drums use it FOK with the -10 pad engaged.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Ox Han 14th February 2020 07:35 PM

File is no longer attached. I was interested in hearing the ADL 600....came here from your post in that thread. Sorry to revive old threads