Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   PT TDM Eq plugins. Again, wanna see your opinions! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/4079-pt-tdm-eq-plugins-again-wanna-see-your-opinions.html)

Alécio Costa 2nd May 2003 02:37 AM

PT TDM Eq plugins. Again, wanna see your opinions!

Hi friends!
This post is very similar to te other one I wrote recently, concerning and asking your opinions for specific types of plug-ins.
Now, I would like to know your opinions betwen the following Eq plugs:

1) Pultec EQP1A by BF
2) Focusrite d2
3) TC EQ sat
4) waves Q series ( Q6)

I am a big fan of Waves q series. Pultec have not understood quite well yet, TC EQ sat seems to be DSP hungry. Focusrite is in the way to evaluation.
Also, how would you compare them to 02R V2/d8b 4 band parametric equalizers?

Thanks

p.s: No money for GM or Sony OXF yet
:(

ExistanceMusic 2nd May 2003 03:27 AM

Pultec Pultec Pultec........

What can I say? It's an incredible thing, does some very bizzare and beutiful stuff when you really mess with it, ie: boost a given frequency by, say, 8dB, the cut the SAME frequency by 6dB.....push it harder and it gets REALLY cool! Maybe a bit of a one trick pony, but I haven't had time to really play with it to get the most out of it yet, but thats my pick.

I've used the Focusrite too, not enough to get a good idea.

Alécio Costa 2nd May 2003 04:03 AM

Very crazy tchnique! Shall be ****ing the phase seriously. anyway, thanks for the tip friend!
Anyone else?

kfhkh

littledog 2nd May 2003 06:28 AM

I tend to use Waves RenEQ as my meat and potatoes coloring. I use the Q stuff for more precise surgical things. The TC I use mostly for adding air/sheen.

I don't have the other plugs (BF, Focusrite), unfortunately. I've heard some nice things about some other third party EQ's too, like MacDSP.

Alécio Costa 2nd May 2003 06:31 AM

thanks little Dog.
:)

davemc 2nd May 2003 07:23 AM

Again I would add the Mcdsp and Sony. Also just download and try.
Would like to try the GML, the local dealer is trying to get one in for me to a/b with the sony

Generalmix 2nd May 2003 07:20 PM

I do a lot of Pro Tools mixes without even using any outboard gear yes it comes down to knowing your plugins.

In my opinion and only from my experience these is what I think:

1. Pultec by BF has a really interesting high deffinetly there deffinately some personality here. I use it on any instruments and vocals where i want it to stand out specially for high end freqencies. Also, low boost turned up and attentuater turned up create some interesting sounds frequency overlap -really cool. Sounds great for airy bgds.

2. Focusrite eq. usually for cutting more than boosting. a high end a bit harsh I use it to add some aggressive high end.

3. Never really used TC EQ. Like you said it takes a lot of DSP to handle that plug in but I will experiment with it.

4. Waves Q, are refering to renaissance eq. I use it a lot it has a smooth glassy sort of sound. From Kiks to vocals.

One of my favorite eq. is filter bank and of course Pulter although I have to watch out for pultec since it uses a lot of DSP.

kfhkh

Alécio Costa 2nd May 2003 07:23 PM

I mean Waves Q series, like Q10, Q6, Q4, q2 from TDM bundle and Gold bundle.

I will examine Pultec with several tracking situations.
Thanks

jazzius 2nd May 2003 07:27 PM

Any eq that can have a Q of 100 is alright with me!bumpkin

Alécio Costa 2nd May 2003 07:29 PM

Q=100? I don´t think you will have plenty plugs doing that
lol

jazzius 2nd May 2003 07:38 PM

Yeah, only waves Q series!

Alécio Costa 6th May 2003 06:52 AM

Hi!
Any other tips?