Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Soundelux E47 or Wunder CM7 GT (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/394137-soundelux-e47-wunder-cm7-gt.html)

tguy 31st May 2009 03:23 AM

Soundelux E47 or Wunder CM7 GT

Any thoughts here? Both are used and for sale for aaround the same price. Any direct comparisons? Thanks!

-Tguy

Tube World 31st May 2009 03:37 AM

WE all have different tastes, I actually preferred the MP3 I heard of John with the Wunder mic over the Korby Blue. The Wunder has more character which I prefer. The Blue is cleaner and more even.

Johnkenn 31st May 2009 03:45 AM

Really? I mean really? I think the Korby is night and day better. Who knows - could have been the performance. The Korby has less junk in the low mids, less honk and is by far has one of the most pristine top ends I've heard in a mic - but you are definitely correct in saying it's not as colored. Definitely a more "modern" sounding mic. I have to say though, I think I liked the GT with the K47 the best out of the entire Wunder line. That's including the CM7.

elambo 31st May 2009 03:51 AM

Wunder. No question.

I used to have two very good vintage U47s and sold both after getting a Wunder (a non-GT). It had all the basic character of both 47s with a touch more high end. We tested it pretty thoroughly on a lot of sources and had no issues selling the Neumanns. The Wunders started getting more work than the 47s, so it wasn't difficult to do.

I later bought a GT for my home studio and although it lacks a little of the mojo of its bigger brother, it's close. Still expensive, but a great deal I think.

elambo 31st May 2009 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tube World (Post 4236339)
I actually preferred the MP3 I heard of John with the Wunder mic over the Korby Blue.

Same here. IMO the Wunder was a great match for John's voice.

tguy 31st May 2009 06:13 AM

I remember that post. I do agree. The Wunder sounded more polished and proffessional. But I have never heard anything recorded on an E47. That is why I asked. I cant remember if John had recorded that with the GT or non GT though.

RoundBadge 31st May 2009 07:17 AM

don't know about the GT but i preferred the Wunder M7 over the e47.sounded more beefy and 47 like,mojo or whatever you wanna call it

Johnkenn 31st May 2009 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an example of the Korby Blue - I love it...The Korby has more top end - is more modern. The Wunder has that 47 sound - waaaay more colored. I've just figured out that I prefer the more modern, true representation of a vocal. Just my opinion.

elambo 31st May 2009 05:42 PM

Nice track but I still prefer what the Wunder did with your voice.

Anyone have a link to that mic comparison thread?

Lindell 31st May 2009 06:06 PM

Way to thin and harsh high if you ask me....... ablian

Plus I thought the topic was "Soundelux E47 or Wunder CM7 GT"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnkenn (Post 4237482)
Here's an example of the Korby Blue - I love it...The Korby has more top end - is more modern. The Wunder has that 47 sound - waaaay more colored. I've just figured out that I prefer the more modern, true representation of a vocal. Just my opinion.

Johnkenn 31st May 2009 09:11 PM

Thin and harsh? Riiiiight. If that's what the majority of you think is thin and harsh, then I guess I don't have much more to add on Gearslutz.

Tube World 31st May 2009 09:25 PM

The Blue Korby sounds a little like a Brauner. Big, clean, detailed and a wondeful top end. Yes they sound different, but similar. In regards to the Korby being thin, that is just rubbish. Are you listening on computer speakers? I just prefer the thicker sound of the Wunder. I agree that if I had the money I would buy the CM7-GT with the K capsule. On that mic the top end is nicer. On the CM7, I prefer the M capsule.

Johnkenn 31st May 2009 09:42 PM

Totally agree with everything you just said, tube world.

RoundBadge 1st June 2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnkenn (Post 4237482)

After listening to this clip,I also prefer the Wunder on your voice
richer,thicker,rounder
just my taste though
the Korby Blue definitely reminds me of the Korby Kat 5 67m i used to own[too bright @ 5-10k for me]

Johnkenn 1st June 2009 12:21 AM

Guess we all have different tastes. I thought the CM7 I had was too harsh in the mids.

elambo 1st June 2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tube World (Post 4238050)
In regards to the Korby being thin, that is just rubbish.

Not if it was in reference to a "comparison" of the Korby and Wunder, which I think is where we're at right now. By comparison the Korby is thin.

Johnkenn 1st June 2009 03:30 AM

I give up...I guess you can't account for taste...

elambo 1st June 2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnkenn (Post 4238795)
I give up...I guess you can't account for taste...

This is saying that anyone who doesn't pick the Korby has no taste? That would be uncharacteristically harsh and, of course, inaccurate. I must be confused.

It's also important to allow room for varying opinions and the right we all have to form our own.

So anyway... between an E47 and CM7-GT, looks like the Wunder has several fans.

DeepSpace 1st June 2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elambo (Post 4239028)
It's also important to allow room for varying opinions and the right we all have to form our own.

Surely that's precisely what John meant? peachh

Johnkenn 1st June 2009 03:54 PM

Right, everyone has their own idea of what sounds good...some people like the colorization, some people don't. Some people consider top end good, some consider it thin and harsh.

vintagelove 1st June 2009 05:17 PM

I think the E47 is a great mic. I do not have a wunder or an original to compare it to. However on it's own merit it is a very nice mic.

mdjice 1st June 2009 05:26 PM

I dont't think the example john gave us sounds harsh and thin, it sounds great but is a bit sibillant. Nothng a good de esser couldn't fix.
I do agree that I like wunder better on John's voice but when it's all said and done, any good mic will do his voice justice and I don't anybody would listen to one of his song complaining about the mic. the song and vocals make up for any differences in mics IMO

RoundBadge 1st June 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesaustin (Post 4240203)
I think the E47 is a great mic. I do not have a wunder or an original to compare it to. However on it's own merit it is a very nice mic.

Indeed it is a fine mic.
its just I generally prefer the more classic 47 esque sound of the Wunder

TonyBelmont 1st June 2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnkenn (Post 4240005)
Right, everyone has their own idea of what sounds good...some people like the colorization, some people don't. Some people consider top end good, some consider it thin and harsh.

John,

Don't worry what other people think.... You would sound great through an SM7 into a Mackie. It's not about the gear when it comes to talent. howdy

And on the subject of Soundelux E47 or Wunder CM7 GT... I have used both. Theya re both great mics. I think I would give the Wunder M7 the edge (because the capsule that it uses is truly a work of art. But, they are all fantastic.

elambo 1st June 2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBelmont (Post 4240261)
Don't worry what other people think.... You would sound great through an SM7 into a Mackie.

Come on now Tony. That's how rumors get started.

No one has said that John doesn't sound great. He does, in all these samples. It's a discussion of which is the best of the already great options of "microphones."

TonyBelmont 1st June 2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elambo (Post 4240532)
It's a discussion of which is the best of the already great options of "microphones."

I'm with ya...... In that case, I say the Wunder CM7-GT w M7. http://highprofileaudio.com/thumbsup.gif

Lindell 1st June 2009 10:38 PM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...ito/clowni.gif

Johnkenn 2nd June 2009 12:49 AM

By no means did I mean for this to get into a thread about my vocal sound...I am just passionate about what I think sounds good...and you guys are right, the sibilance could be subdued a little.
I spent a TON of time trying to love a U47...I found a vintage 47's that I thought sounded fantastic - they didn't have that "bite" in the 2-4.5K range - something I find more annoying than sibilance...Clone wise, I was never able to find one that I thought had that incredibly smooth top end with the big thick bottom. The last CM7 I had - after trying a bunch of different heads from Mike, came the closest. Ultimately, I think I started leaning towards wanting that clean, precise, un-colored sound on vocals...I just missed that pristine top end.
I was kind of trying to be funny with my response about choosing the Korby - sorry it took this thread off topic and I came off as a smartass. I prefer that sound. However, I wouldn't be scared to record on a Wunder mic for ONE SECOND. They're great mics and sound fantastic on the right singers.

TheMarqueeYears 2nd June 2009 07:29 AM

John
Nice song, well sung.

You have a lovely melodic voice and when you are in your lower register, your voice is full of chest resonance and seems happy with a whole range of mic you have thrown up for us to listen to.

However when you start reaching up into your head voice (which also sounds great) I thought the Korby did indeed start to sound more "intense" than the CM7, which I personally prefere on the up register of your voice.

Just one listeners opinion.

TMY

Johnkenn 2nd June 2009 10:14 AM

Of course, we don't have a version of this song with the Wunder...