Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   hardware digital mixers and summing (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/39231-hardware-digital-mixers-summing.html)

massimo 7th August 2005 06:52 PM

hardware digital mixers and summing

Sorry this may be a really silly question.

Let's say I do not want to use a computer for tracking and mixing audio - I already use it too much for other things. Really.

I am a musician, and I like hardware.
I have updated just about anything in my home studio in the past two years. The last obsolete object is my trusty Yamaha 03D digital mixer, which I only use at mixing for setting and storing volumes and panpots, and as a very handy digital router. I do not use its pres, converters, and processors, but I still like the idea of a hardware mixer.

My silly question is: is mixing through a hardware digital mixer like in the box mixing? Does it make any sense to keep using my mixer as a front end for the above mentioned purposes, and consider a multi channel D/A converter and a summing box? Would pan pot and volume settings of individual tracks/channels still be effective? Remember, I do not want a computer in my room.

Thank you
best regards
Massimo

DirkB 7th August 2005 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massimo
Sorry this may be a really silly question.

Let's say I do not want to use a computer for tracking and mixing audio - I already use it too much for other things. Really.

I have updated just about anything in my home studio in the past two years. The last obsolete object is my trusty Yamaha 03D digital mixer, which I only use at mixing for setting and storing volumes and panpots, and as a very handy digital router. I do not use its pres, converters, and processors, but I still like the idea of a hardware mixer.

My silly question is: is mixing through a hardware digital mixer like in the box mixing? Does it make any sense to keep using my mixer as a front end for the above mentioned purposes, and consider a multi channel D/A converter and a summing box? Would pan pot and volume settings of individual tracks/channels still be effective? Remember, I do not want a computer in my room.

Thank you
best regards
Massimo

I mix from Nuendo on a DM1000 and just cannot get the same results mixing in Nuendo. I don't know if the summing has anything to do with it, but there's a DAWsum demo cd out there somewhere which also included a 02R96 I think.

I just work so much faster on the DM1000 and I actually shut of the TTF screen which I think makes a lot of difference.

Good luck,
Dirk

squeegybug 7th August 2005 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massimo

thumbsup I can't stand recording music on computers either. I went with an Akai DPS24 quite a while ago, never looked back. Good user forum here

I say keep using a digital mixer.

Steve

massimo 8th August 2005 04:55 AM

)Thanks Steve,
i use a Fostex D2424.
My silly question was: is mixing in a digital mixer fed digitally from the recorder like mixing "in the box"? I mean could I use my hardware digital mixer to send digital tracks (to be converted to analog) to a summing box, much like a computer does? Would individual levels and panpots be retained? Would that make any sense sonically?

Sorry if this is too stupid
best regards
Massimo

massimo 10th November 2005 04:10 PM

Please excuse me for resurrecting this fossil thread.
I just wanted to see if I could have some more feedback... I need to make a purchase decison. The issue at this point is: is summing inside - say - a Yamaha DM1000 better than inside a computer or is it electrically and conceptually the same? Does it make any sense to use something like a folcrom - via good outboard mulltichannel D/A - after a hardware digital mixer? Remember, I do not want to use a computer in my room, but I like instant repeatability of mixes.
Come on!
Thank you
best regards
Massimo

TheSweetener 10th November 2005 08:04 PM

I would not expect a big difference!
The reason for a digital mixer is:

fast workflow without losing recall!

sleepwalker 10th November 2005 08:08 PM

A lot of DAW's are floating point, and digital mixers are fixed(AFAIK)

Other than that, they should be pretty darn similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSweetener
I would not expect a big difference!
The reason for a digital mixer is:

fast workflow without losing recall!

spektor 29th January 2006 02:52 PM

Just had to say somthing. I work on a Roland v Mixer c7100 To me it is a great mixer sound wise. I mix in Sonar 5 and i get better mixes working through that.
Its summing has real depth nice color. Some might say that Digital summing has no Color i hear that it has. I Sold my board Roland before then bought the Da7.
I loved its a/d hated its summing. To me it was 2d. So i bought back my Roland.
LIstan first just becasue alot of poeple like it mean you might not. Do you like the color do you want your sound with that color?