Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Still looking for THE VOX Compressor for Ballad (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/38665-still-looking-vox-compressor-ballad.html)

PrivateZoo 1st August 2005 05:16 PM

Still looking for THE VOX Compressor for Ballad

While Massive Passive, IBIS and the GR EQ-NV-2, SSL FX383 would handle the EQ needs for mixing lead vocal. I am still looking for the vocal compressor for ballad. I have the Trakker (3), UA 2-1176, STC-8, Smart C2, 160XT(3), Distressor (2). Although 1176 get most used, then C2. 1176 do making the Lead vox sit well and standout at the same time, but it kind of taking out too many emotions or nunances from the vocal, and sometimes it is not smooth enough for ballad. I am still not happy with it. My other compressors is still not as good as the 2-1176 ....wanted to get that big vocal sound that is up-front and smooth. I was thinking along the line of Atomic squeeze box, Pendulum Quartet II, La2a, or La3a? Any other suggestions?

Saucyjack 1st August 2005 05:54 PM

I think the Trakker rules for Vocals.
You can get some pretty transparent gain reduction or some flava if you need it.

tomdarude 1st August 2005 06:36 PM

- LA2A
- trakker

booth smooth and great

- stc-8 for less colour

.....and if I´d win the lottery:

- mercury 66

....it all depends on the particular voice, there´s no way round.... peachh

Drumsound 1st August 2005 06:51 PM

Maybe you need to run two compressors in serries. Get a little bit from each so it doesn't sound so smashed as you might do with one unit putting the level where you want it.

With the list you gave you should be able to get almost anything.

Exsanguis 1st August 2005 07:04 PM

I'd do what Drumsound suggested, with the multiple compressors in series. I find myself almost always doing this, using an LA3A and an SSL, or a Neve 2254 and an 1176(original blackface). I'll mix and match whatever compressors I have access to till I can get the consistency and color that I'm looking for, without the characteristic compressor pumping, etc. I know you said you're doing a ballad, but on the topic of vocal compression, I've recently started using an L1 or L2 on vocals in more aggressive songs after I read the thread on it from a week ago or so. Really cool stuff, and I'm psyched that I've actually found a use for the previously dust gathering Waves limiters(if software can gather dust gooof ).

Joel Hamilton 1st August 2005 07:17 PM

Same here: multiple comps in series: Gates STA level>pultec EQP-1R>neve 33609, or something like that. usually something vari-mu (6386 based) for the insanely expressive knee type response. A quiet passage only gets the 1.5:1 at the onset of gain reduction, rising to 10:1 at full reduction. That is why i love Vari-Mu compressors for expressive vocal performances, with something faster and harder following up for a really good "sit." I also use: Federal AM864/U a lot, or collins 26-1U as the first comp in the chain. The collins 26W works really well, as does an LA3A or electro harmonix NY2A followed by something else. in a really dense rock mix I might have 3 comps and a de-esser and a pultec on the main vocal. Better to have a few devices doing a little than one doing a lot if you want expression AND fit...

Tetness 1st August 2005 07:27 PM

Mercury M66

cdog 1st August 2005 07:35 PM

Try the C2, it can be incredibly smooth on vox when set up properly.

PrivateZoo 1st August 2005 08:02 PM

I have been using the multiple comps setup already. My typical vocal chain is MAssive Passive->1176 (main Comp)->SSL FX383 (For the up-front sound)->C2/trakker (to round things Up)-->Ibis (sometime in by-pass or HI freq life only w/ color setting on HI band only just some how make the vocal sounded bigger). Its just the main Comp 1176 I am not happy with....la

robmix 1st August 2005 08:53 PM

The multiple compressor thing is very cool but I rarely get it to sit right. For ballads I usually go with either the Neve 2254 or the EAR 660.

Exsanguis 1st August 2005 08:57 PM

If you don't like the 1176 in your chain right now(for ballads, I can see how it wouldn't fit), I'd suggest a Neve comp, like the 2254(one of my absolute faves for vox, esp. backing vocals) or the 33609. They get real fat, but you can really control their aggressiveness.

studjo 1st August 2005 10:07 PM

for smooth I like the Pendulum Quartet I in front of the Trakker.

Jo

GearHunter 1st August 2005 10:27 PM

Urei LA-3A
Teletronix LA-2A
Universal 175 or 176
Neve 33609
Neve 32264
Neve 2254
Summit TLA100A

Any combination of two of the above. I love tracking with the Summit and then running it back through the LA-3A on mix. thumbsup

TonyBelmont 1st August 2005 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHunter
Urei LA-3A
Teletronix LA-2A
Universal 175 or 176
Neve 33609
Neve 32264
Neve 2254
Summit TLA100A

Any combination of two of the above. I love tracking with the Summit and then running it back through the LA-3A on mix. thumbsup

Nice suggestions GearHunter!

He learned everything he knows from me! Ha Ha... Just kidding, this guy taught me a lot over the years.

As a side note, I would probably track with the LA3a and mix with the LA2a or TLA100....

thethrillfactor 2nd August 2005 12:03 AM

It all depends on how well its tracked.

If its tracked well...

my favs are either a Blue 230,Vac Rac limiter or LA22.

Automate to taste.

If its not any thing goes.

mikepecchio 2nd August 2005 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHunter

Im a fan of that same combo! I was wondering when someone was going to mention the TLA-100.

mike p

PrivateZoo 2nd August 2005 02:12 AM

Thanx for all opinions guys! I will do more research on it

syra 2nd August 2005 03:18 AM

For smooth vocal compression check out also the Requisite PAL+. Beautiful!

Lindell 2nd August 2005 09:07 AM

Summit TLA-100
BUZZ SOC1.1

brownmouse 2nd August 2005 02:52 PM

my current fave on vocals is the pendulum es-8.
joshua