Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   What Behringer gear does not suck ?! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/37821-what-behringer-gear-does-not-suck.html)

Billster 21st July 2005 12:45 PM

What Behringer gear does not suck ?!

A lot of manufacturers produce even more nice sounding, good looking and reasonable priced gear with a right to live. Maybe they have one unit that does not live up to the expectations, but in general these manufacturers do a good job.

Now, complete different story with Behringer. They offer a lot of bad sounding, cheap looking and not reasonable priced gear (noone pays for dog****, right ?!). But does Behringer also offer one or even two units that do not live up to the expectation since they actually do sound good ? Hmmm, nothing comes to my mind...

Can you guys think of anything ?

Bill

Darius van H 21st July 2005 01:04 PM

Edison.............was great for about half an hour before it broke (and toasted some other gear in the process).

Gerax 21st July 2005 01:20 PM

Headphone amps maybe?

I guess I "could" use something (I actually did) Behringer for non critical parts of the signal chain...also some D.I. box seemed usable to me; just stay away from their (low noise as they dub them :deth: ) mixers or compressors as they are the worst piece of junk I ever came across that's sold as "pro" audio.

L.G.

mrbowes 21st July 2005 01:27 PM

the ada8000 ain't bad for the money.

Bosskitty 21st July 2005 01:29 PM

For those that are on a budget the ADA8000,is worth every penny as a short stop to an extra 8 channels!

I dont care what you say, dfegad Focuswrong=crap, dfegad Presonus=crap, tutt Audient=way over priced,crap for the money (cos u could be spendin your cash on Apogee converters instead when your in that kinda price range), dfegad Mackie=crap!

The ADA8000 does its job ,as long as you dont base a whole mix/recording around it!
Its still crap though cooge

Billster 21st July 2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerax
I guess I "could" use something (I actually did) Behringer for non critical parts of the signal chain...

They also offer those midi controllers, which is a good thing since no audio is running through them gooof

I don´t understand why nearly every starter these days buys all this Behringer stuff (it´s a mixer, right ? At least it sort of looks like one). That makes their life even harder : why doesn´t my recording sound like Foo Fighters ? Is it the chops, or is it the gear ? Maybe both !

azz 21st July 2005 02:10 PM

those IMP's crack me up dude heh lol

Telecastr 21st July 2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azz
those IMP's crack me up dude heh lol

If you talking about the DI, that's Whirlwind, not Behringer. They aren't very good either, nonetheless.

Their headphone amps are the only thing Behringer makes that I would think about using. That said, I still wouldn't use it unless it was a last resort.

Duffster 21st July 2005 04:00 PM

The Behringer CT100 Cable Tester. It is the only piece of behringer gear that I have owned that actually works well, and hasn't broken.

everybody's x 21st July 2005 04:14 PM

well (as I am knocking on wood with one hand and typing with the other) I have never had a single issue with my ADA8000. I bought it before I found out they were evil bastards but I have decided to keep it for the extra outputs hidz

ZenFly 21st July 2005 04:19 PM

I bought a really small mixer by them for my onstage synth rig in 1999 and it has done it's job so far. Granted I have to rebend the fader stems once in a while after transporting, but relitavly quiet and "transparent" for this application. I think I paid about $150 for it and they go for about $110 now.

At the time I almost went for a Mackie, but opted to save some cash...

Now Mackies are made in China too aren't they?

doorknocker 21st July 2005 04:26 PM

I use 3 daisy-chained Behringer Powerplay Pro headphone amps. One in my control room and two in the subterranean live/drum room. I use one headphone mix for everybody at the moment and the Behringers hold up really well. I connect them with Mogami cable via XLR and the performance is very good, never a failure and the sound is o.k too.
Headphones amps are workhorses, that's the LEAST place you need esoteric hi-end sound and as long as they keep working I'm fine with these. The price was about $ 100 each.

What I did was invest in 5 pairs of Sennheiser HD-25-1 headphones though. Now THAT will make a big difference. In the past I almost always totally hated the cans provided in most studios and thus the sound sucked too. The Sennheisers on the other hand are amazingly powerful and full sounding. It really helps with the performances and they also work great for making mic adjustements in the line of fire of a roaring Marshall or a Bonzoesque hitter.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

Billster 21st July 2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doorknocker

What I did was invest in 5 pairs of Sennheiser HD-25-1 headphones though. Now THAT will make a big difference.[/url]

Very good sounding headphones indeed ! How is the HDs performance in terms of leakage ? I thought they were pretty bad in that respect.

I remember having some soft of Behringer noise reductions system, which was basically a lp-filter with the cutoff frequency being defined by incoming signal. Very effective unit ! Put a blanket on your mic and then you know what it sounded like. thumbsup

Regards,
Bill

Jules 21st July 2005 05:02 PM

I was fond of my ~composer compressor..

It's in use as a pad on our headphone amps to bring the volume down... it's compression days are over... for the forseable future..

doorknocker 21st July 2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billster
How is the HDs performance in terms of leakage ? I thought they were pretty bad in that respect.

They're very 'closed' and isolated. AFAIK there are different HD-25 incarnations, this is the more expensive 25-1 model.

But to be thruthful, I don't really care about leakage anyway. I recorded lots of singers with AKG K-501s, to me these are some of the best sounding cans but it's an open design.
In 99.9%, the leakage will always be a track that will be a part of the final mix so if anything it might even sonically enhance the sound in a very subtle way.

As far as the 25-1s are concerned, I really love them but the cable length provided by Sennheiser is a MAJOR joke. I mean come on, what's the intention of this? Singing flat on your back in front of the headphone amp perhaps??

I put new cable on all the phones, a $ 5 or so investment per pair and problem solved. But at this price point you would really expect longer cable to begin with!

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

Billster 21st July 2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Singing flat on your back in front of the headphone amp perhaps??

[/url]

Anyway, that´s the position producers usually want their "I´ll make you a star"-singers to be in, huh ?! heh

doorknocker 21st July 2005 05:38 PM

Quote:

Anyway, that´s the position producers usually want their "I´ll make you a star"-singers to be in, huh ?! heh

Yip, and they probably don't care about the leakage either...

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch

ohmnoise 21st July 2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

They also offer those midi controllers, which is a good thing since no audio is running through them gooof

I don´t understand why nearly every starter these days buys all this Behringer stuff (it´s a mixer, right ? At least it sort of looks like one). That makes their life even harder : why doesn´t my recording sound like Foo Fighters ? Is it the chops, or is it the gear ? Maybe both !

These controllers have also very bad knobs, the os crashs and so on.

FormulaReed 21st July 2005 06:16 PM

The powerplay pro is good. It has lots of gain and has many routing options. I have not had mine for that long so I can't say much about it's life span, but at $90 you cant expect too much.

Reed

guitarbth 21st July 2005 06:50 PM

I use one of their small mixers, UB802, for routing and monitoring. It was $50 two years ago and it does it's job. I also have one of their 1/4" TRS patchbays that cost me $25 and it works. Neither of them have failed me yet. The pres in that mixer are puke and it's probably not the best unit to be in front of my monitors but it works and sounds fine.

Brandon

AMB 21st July 2005 07:16 PM

The boxes they ship in are great !

TAVD 21st July 2005 07:38 PM

GI-100 DI, like a speaker level fuzz face. Great way to piss away $30.

Billster 21st July 2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Yip, and they probably don't care about the leakage either...

heh heh heh

That´s why we got into this whole production thing, right ? kfhkh

Billster 21st July 2005 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FormulaReed
The powerplay pro is good. It has lots of gain and has many routing options.

I guess we have a winner here. Gearslutz seem to like Behringer´s headphone amps ! I knew there had to be something... mezed

dhughes 21st July 2005 08:06 PM

ADA8000 or whatever it is called. Clock it with a Big Ben and it is brilliant. mezed

Had one for a year now and it still works. Sometimes I forget to turn it off and it runs for days but it is still hanging in there.

DeadPoet 21st July 2005 10:09 PM

ADA8000.

the controller - i have the rotary and still hope they release a mackie mode for that one (the fader one has a mackie emulation mode... for 1/4th the price !)

As a musician, i don't like the headphone amp. It's important that what you hear is representative of what you play..

Herwig

Lawrence 22nd July 2005 08:37 PM

If there is one piece of Behringer gear that can be called good it's the ADA8000. It sounds pretty damn good and is a great value for the money.

Lawrence

Bob Ross 22nd July 2005 09:49 PM

SNR2000

Billster 22nd July 2005 10:58 PM

Does that really work ? My experience with Behringer noise suppression systems hasn´t been too glorious

peachh

Bob Ross 23rd July 2005 02:09 AM

Quote:

Does that really work ? My experience with Behringer noise suppression systems hasn´t been too glorious

It works spectacularly. I first got turned onto Behringer Denoisers when Mike Joseph spooged all over the SNR1000 in REP some 15 or 20 years ago. I tried one, it worked. Compared it to Symetrix 511 and the Symetrix had to run home with its tail between its legs & get a change of underwear. Then I tried the SNR2000.

*I* had to run home & get a change of underwear.

It does what it's supposed to do as invisibly as you can possibly imagine.