Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Sync API A2D to Lynx Aurora (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/368746-sync-api-a2d-lynx-aurora.html)

nonsuchpro 25th February 2009 12:30 AM

Sync API A2D to Lynx Aurora

Hi all,
I just acquired an API A2D from a slut here on the forum, Great purchase!

I'm about to buy a lynx aurora and a AES card of some sort (haven't decided if I wanna do Lynx or RME) and am wondering how do I sync them together. The API A2D is an older unit and doesn't have word clock. Is it possible to sync via AES? I'm used to ADAT sync, AES is new to me. The wordclock upgrade is $200 from API, I'll do that if I have to but if I can avoid that I'd love to.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

broken head 25th February 2009 12:52 AM

AES sync

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuchpro (Post 3945781)
Hi all,
I just acquired an API A2D from a slut here on the forum, Great purchase!

I'm about to buy a lynx aurora and a AES card of some sort (haven't decided if I wanna do Lynx or RME) and am wondering how do I sync them together. The API A2D is an older unit and doesn't have word clock. Is it possible to sync via AES? I'm used to ADAT sync, AES is new to me. The wordclock upgrade is $200 from API, I'll do that if I have to but if I can avoid that I'd love to.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Hi Rob,

Was your intention to connect the A2D to one port of the AES card, and the Aurora to the other port? If you go with an AES16, you could connect the API to port 1 and slave the card to its Digital In port, and likewise slave the Aurora to its digital in as well. The fact that the Aurora is receiving 2nd generation clock should be irrelevant if you keep Synchrolock ON.

Should work fine. It sounds like with the A2D you would need the wordclock option to allow it to be a clock slave...

nonsuchpro 25th February 2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken head (Post 3945844)
Hi Rob,

Was your intention to connect the A2D to one port of the AES card, and the Aurora to the other port? If you go with an AES16, you could connect the API to port 1 and slave the card to its Digital In port, and likewise slave the Aurora to its digital in as well. The fact that the Aurora is receiving 2nd generation clock should be irrelevant if you keep Synchrolock ON.

Should work fine. It sounds like with the A2D you would need the wordclock option to allow it to be a clock slave...

Yes, that was my intention. I plan on buying a few more API A2D's as well as an Aurora 8.

So basically, connect the A2D's to AES 1-8 on the AES16 card via a 25pin to xlr AES cable, then connect the Aurora 8 to AES 9-16? Who's the master and who's the slave? Sorry I'm such an idiot about this subject.

Rob

broken head 25th February 2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuchpro (Post 3945859)
Yes, that was my intention. I plan on buying a few more API A2D's as well as an Aurora 8.

So basically, connect the A2D's to AES 1-8 on the AES16 card via a 25pin to xlr AES cable, then connect the Aurora 8 to AES 9-16? Who's the master and who's the slave? Sorry I'm such an idiot about this subject.

Rob

If you buy multiple A2Ds you will need some way to clock them together.

Anyway, the connection method you describe sounds right, and the A2D would be your clock master. You would need to change the sample rate on the A2D to match your project rate.

nonsuchpro 25th February 2009 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken head (Post 3946023)
If you buy multiple A2Ds you will need some way to clock them together.

Anyway, the connection method you describe sounds right, and the A2D would be your clock master. You would need to change the sample rate on the A2D to match your project rate.

Fortunately, the A2D has a 9 pin sync I/O for connecting multiple units. It uses the first A2D's Clock in the chain.
My real question was can I get away with no word clock on the A2D to sync with an Aurora. And I think you answered that for me :)

Thanks a million!
Rob!

broken head 25th February 2009 08:17 PM

no problem. good luck with the rig...