Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   avedis ma5 - still loving it? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/364879-avedis-ma5-still-loving.html)

Mr. Gloves 11th February 2009 06:36 AM

avedis ma5 - still loving it?
 
i'm just getting into the 500 series this week (currently picking out my first 6-10 units) and i'm planning to get a few channels of avedis ma5. i'm definitely ordering them either way, just wondering if it's still as highly regarded as it was when it came out? there was such a frenzy of activity, with everyone saying it's as good as, or better than, a 1073. but now it doesn't seem to be mentioned much. are people still into them?

btw- the 500 units i definitely want are:

2 x ma5
2 x anamod 660
2 x derresser

then i'm not sure. i was thinking about adding a channel or two of pacifica (p-1), maybe purple action, i'll need 2 channels of good EQ. i don't know... this whole 500 thing is slutty as hell; i'm sitting here with my wallet in hand, like 15 windows open on my pc, making lists and diagrams and ****.

Neville H. 11th February 2009 08:41 AM

It is a really great preamp. I think it is every bit as good as my vintage 1073's. I don't think it sounds better than them. But I can't say the 1073's sound better either, they sound about the same. I've tried some of the other preamps out there that claim to be like a 1073, and I think this is the only one that nails that sound. If you are after that sound, you won't be disappointed.

Nu-tra 11th February 2009 08:44 AM

I nub mine!

wakerickman 11th February 2009 08:47 AM

no problems here. Still love it. Don't forget the 28k button kfhkh

Jackie Moon 11th February 2009 12:09 PM

I think you'll only hear people saying they still love theirs..
I till love mine !

qpress 11th February 2009 12:20 PM

I like it. Very open with the 27k button. Really high end stuff.
Useful how it can color or be transparent.

DONNX 11th February 2009 01:24 PM

Sold em
 
I couldn't justify keeping them because my vintech X73is sounded better than the MA5s. The only reason I sold them. If I ever need a neve-ish sounding 500 serie module. Then this or the AML module would be my pick. But I don't. They just didn't sound the same in my A/B test.

dbjp 11th February 2009 01:52 PM

I like them a lot. Incredibly well made. Great sound. Huge head room.
Support is also very good. This is the case for a lot of small manufacturers these days but Avedis really is a top guy.

There are a few respectable people on here that say the MA5's are exactly like 10xx heads and I don't agree with that at all, but they do have very similar characteristics. I actually prefer the MA5s for my production work (the word hi-fi might be taken wrong, but MA5s gives me that impression in comparison to 10xx), so you'll just have to try them yourself.


My opinion of the MA5s vs X73 is pretty much the opposite to DONNX (and I do think it's off topic, seeing as we're talking about 500 series), though the X73(i)'s are very good value considering the added EQ.

DONNX 11th February 2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbjp (Post 3903449)

There are a few respectable people on here that say the MA5's are exactly like 10xx heads and I don't agree with that at all, but they do have very similar characteristics. I actually prefer the MA5s for my production work (the word hi-fi might be taken wrong, but MA5s gives me that impression in comparison to 10xx), so you'll just have to try them yourself.
.


I found them "hi fi" too compared to the vintechs as well. I think its the custom output jensen transformer that gives it that sonic signature. But don't get me wrong, thats a good thing. It makes it more unique in my book than the other neve cloners.

I respect that it doesn't sound exactly like a neve 10xx module.

Barry Lird 11th February 2009 08:23 PM

Another thread about what you think of the transformers in the MA5?

The MA5s are insanely amazing. Get as many as you can. I have 4 and love them. I'd also look into the Averill 312a. Love those too.

Johnkenn 11th February 2009 10:33 PM

You might be right about them sounding a little different than the new ams 1073's - i.e. better. I thought they sounded pretty spot on to the vintage 1073's I had used. They just sound amazing.

warhead 12th February 2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbjp (Post 3903449)
Support is also very good. This is the case for a lot of small manufacturers these days but Avedis really is a top guy.

I don't sell Avedis gear (would love to!) but I just wanted to say:

Avedis would choose to walk across fire to help a customer 1% more than he could by taking a train.

War

AllAboutTone 12th February 2009 03:20 AM

I bought 2 MA5s, sold them even though I thought they were great preamps, I settled for 2 Elixirs instead. Different strokes for different folks, beside the Elixirs comes with the best DI on the market, the MA5 does not come stock with one.

Mr. Gloves 12th February 2009 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllAboutTone (Post 3905665)
I bought 2 MA5s, sold them even though I thought they were great preamps, I settled for 2 Elixirs instead. Different strokes for different folks, beside the Elixirs comes with the best DI on the market, the MA5 does not come stock with one.

that's so funny, because in all the ma5 back threads that I sifted through, it was you who was the most excited of everyone! haha. you accounted for about 40% of my excitement! i guess we really are just a bunch of sluts, huh?

Skorch Trakz 12th February 2009 03:28 AM

he didnt say nothing bad about it, said it was "great". im thinkin about picking a avedis myself along with elixir

AllAboutTone 12th February 2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves (Post 3905679)
that's so funny, because in all the ma5 back threads that I sifted through, it was you who was the most excited of everyone! haha. you accounted for about 40% of my excitement! i guess we really are just a bunch of sluts, huh?

Thats correct, I still like them, but I had not discovered buzz audio at that time, also I have open the doors to JLM and I love it as well. In my box are 2 JLMs, 2 512c and 2 Elixirs. Along with a Pacifica that I like better than the P-1

Mr. Gloves 12th February 2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz (Post 3905687)
he didnt say nothing about them, said they were "great". im thinkin about picking a avedis myself along with elixir

are you kidding? he said a lot about them. countless posts. i'm talking about back posts, not this one.

KEYBEEETSSS 12th February 2009 03:55 AM

Ok wait; really hold up a sec!! This cannotttt be a real MA5 thread; Tony B. is nowhere in here!!!http://highprofileaudio.com/smile546.gif (compliments of Tony B)cooge

AllAboutTone 12th February 2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves (Post 3905743)
are you kidding? he said a lot about them. countless posts. i'm talking about back posts, not this one.

AGAIN......I had not discovered buzz audio at that time They sound the same in a lot of ways as smooth and endless headroom.
1. The MA5 has that great edgy sound just like Neve sould
2. The MA5 is a little Dark and lose on the bottom end.
3. The Elixir has a super tight low end and unreal detail.
4. The Elixir has a top notch DI, MA5 has none.
AGAIN......I had not discovered buzz audio at that time

zvenx 12th February 2009 04:04 AM

I am still loving mine.....rsp

AllAboutTone 12th February 2009 04:07 AM

Yes where is TONY !!! The guy sells MA5s , he sold me one.
Tony is a great guy.

Remember I'm entitled to rave on any piece of gear that turns me on and I did fall for the MA5s, If I had the extra $$$ I would have at least one in my rack now, however of the 2 I like the Elixirs better.

Lets get back to the Thread subject, I'm not here trying to sell buzz audio, I just use it.

Mr. Gloves 12th February 2009 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllAboutTone (Post 3905761)
AGAIN......I had not discovered buzz audio at that time They sound the same in a lot of ways as smooth and endless headroom.
1. The MA5 has that great edgy sound just like Neve sould
2. The MA5 is a little Dark and lose on the bottom end.
3. The Elixir has a super tight low end and unreal detail.
4. The Elixir has a top notch DI, MA5 has none.
AGAIN......I had not discovered buzz audio at that time

i wasn't talking to you, i was responding to Skorch Trakz, who thought i was referring to what you said earlier in THIS thread. He said:

he didnt say nothing about them, said they were "great". im thinkin about picking a avedis myself along with elixir

AllAboutTone 12th February 2009 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhead (Post 3905324)
Avedis would choose to walk across fire to help a customer 1% more than he could by taking a train.

War

I found this out quick, you are so true war, I had one with the switches not cut out straight and Avedis shipped me another before I could even get the defect back to them, don't get me wrong the unit worked perfect just had a cosmetic defect that somehow slipped out the door by accident. Customer Service is a ACE....kfhkh

mixerguy 12th February 2009 04:27 AM

avedis is AWESOME

as is all his gear


boing

KEYBEEETSSS 12th February 2009 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllAboutTone (Post 3905812)
Sorry bro, I meant KEEBEEETSSS ?? my bad.

What I didconfoosed
cooge

Midlandmorgan 12th February 2009 04:45 AM

Yes...My MA5 pair is used in every tracking session we do for something or other...

AllAboutTone 12th February 2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS (Post 3905892)
What I didconfoosed
cooge

Nothing, its all good, I read Mr Gloves post the wrong way I guess. peachh

Daedalus77 12th February 2009 05:13 AM

I'll push along the love-fest. Dig my two.

Also have the Vintech and a Great River. They are different, if in the same family.

We have 512cs and BAE 312As for the other "family."

Together, it's a happy marriage of Neve and API stuff.

Skorch Trakz 12th February 2009 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves (Post 3905805)
i wasn't talking to you, i was responding to Skorch Trakz, who thought i was referring to what you said earlier in THIS thread. He said:

he didnt say nothing about them, said they were "great". im thinkin about picking a avedis myself along with elixir

i thought u were talkin to allboutone also since you "quoted" him! thats why i said that he didnt say anything bad the unit

jyc 12th February 2009 05:43 AM

Anyone compared the MA5 to the JLM NV500?

Jyc.