Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   A/D Do I even need it? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/36482-d-do-i-even-need.html)

VO-Guy 1st July 2005 08:24 PM

A/D Do I even need it?
 
First real post here and just wanna say you guys are great! I've learned alot just reading your post. My question is simple. I do VO work for commercials and also radio imaging. Alot of the stuff I produce in house. Would the sound improve by adding an A/D like a Lucid, Mytek, or Rosetta 200? Or since I'm not recording instruments and bands do I even need it?

Jose Mrochek 1st July 2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VO-Guy
First real post here and just wanna say you guys are great! I've learned alot just reading your post. My question is simple. I do VO work for commercials and also radio imaging. Alot of the stuff I produce in house. Would the sound improve by adding an A/D like a Lucid, Mytek, or Rosetta 200? Or since I'm not recording instruments and bands do I even need it?

It really depends if you are a true slut or not : )

VO-Guy 1st July 2005 09:45 PM

Of course
 
Of course I am, and damn proud of it! bumpkin

Happy Bird 1st July 2005 10:10 PM

I had a look at your website, and it seems that you're doing pretty good business. As one of the 4 or 5 things that are possibly in your signal chain, you wouldn't be going wrong with upgrading your converters. Probably not the dramatic difference you'd get from upgrading mics or pres, but if you've already got those ducks in a row, nice converters are a natural next step. I doubt the Rosetta'll be going out of style tomorrow.

By the way, does anyone know if the older 48k Rosettas sound the same as the new ones running at the same SR? I know that this either a good question or a dumb question.

tINY 1st July 2005 11:20 PM



Unless you are going back to analog before you send out your material, the A/D converter won't be in your signal chain at all and all it is good for is your own monitoring.

No sense in having the monitor too much better than the broadcast.

But, if you go back to analog before printing, then it can make a difference.



-tINY


max cooper 2nd July 2005 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tINY


Unless you are going back to analog before you send out your material, the A/D converter won't be in your signal chain at all and all it is good for is your own monitoring.

No sense in having the monitor too much better than the broadcast.

But, if you go back to analog before printing, then it can make a difference.


You mean that with regard to D/A, right?

Anytime you record something digital, you go through the A/D.

tINY 2nd July 2005 12:49 AM



Yeah, whoops - I guess I started the holiday weekend early.....

Still, for FM broadcast, there probably won't be much gained.

VO for Movies would be another matter.


-tINY


VO-Guy 2nd July 2005 12:52 AM

Simple
 
Thanks guys. My setup is pretty simple. I use a Rode NTK, the stock tube is replaced with a Mullard, into a LA-610 into a Presonus Firebox into my system. I was figuring the converters in say the Rosetta 200 would be better than the Firebox thus giving me a better sound.

Happy Bird 2nd July 2005 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VO-Guy
Thanks guys. My setup is pretty simple. I use a Rode NTK, the stock tube is replaced with a Mullard, into a LA-610 into a Presonus Firebox into my system. I was figuring the converters in say the Rosetta 200 would be better than the Firebox thus giving me a better sound.

How do you like the Mullard replacement?

VO-Guy 2nd July 2005 01:10 AM

Difference
 
I like it. Gave it a fuller sound and got rid of the brittleness in the top end. A definite improvement and I highly recommend it.

De chromium cob 2nd July 2005 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VO-Guy
Or since I'm not recording instruments and bands do I even need it?

I don't think so- The VO work you do wont get appreciably better by throwing thousands into new converters...
If you're really itching to spend money, buy a super good mic that works better with your voice than the Rode (not that it sounds bad)....It will make a larger difference and an excellent mic will hold its value better than any digital converter.

Happy Bird 2nd July 2005 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VO-Guy
I like it. Gave it a fuller sound and got rid of the brittleness in the top end. A definite improvement and I highly recommend it.

Thanks. I may do the mod on my K2 the next time I have a few bucks laying around.

I'm in full agreement with De Chromium Cob, given your setup. If you think there's room for improvement anywhere outside the converters, action should be taken there first.

VO-Guy 2nd July 2005 03:38 AM

new mike
 
That's another train of thought I had. I was thinking about maybe a Brauner or maybe a Lawson. Anything other recommendations around the $1500-$2000 mark?

TyRip 2nd July 2005 04:04 PM

I think a mic would make a much larger difference as well.

I think the converters in the Firebox are very decent and an excellent value for what it costs.

I would just try to demo as many mics as you can. I would also suggest that you take a look at things outside that price range too. Especially if you like a smoother sound you may be very impressed by mics such as an EV RE-20, Shure SM7b, or Audio Technica AT4047. They cost a lot less than $1500, but one of them may be a good choice anyway.

VO-Guy 2nd July 2005 10:16 PM

KSM 44
 
Anyone using the Shure KSM44? I was looking at that one also the BlueBird. Although I gotta say, from what I've read and seen I really like the Brauner Phantom C.