Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Gear free zone - shoot the breeze (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-free-zone-shoot-the-breeze/)
-   -   Vintage! A must have! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-free-zone-shoot-the-breeze/36030-vintage-must-have.html)

Ruudman 25th June 2005 12:36 PM

Vintage! A must have!

Power Computing Power Center 150 (the real deal) up for sale:
* 604 Processor (this is IT, if you know what I'm talking about)
* 16Mb RAM (Vintage RAM, no cloning!)
* beautiful desktop model, colour: Auckland Grey, original PC logo
* ALL of the vintage connectors: ADB, serial, SCSI 25 pin++++
* matching 6ft powercable, colour, Auckland White
* original vintage battery for that famous sag in the calculations
* MacOS 7.6, nothing compares!!

Complete with original (NOT PRINTED!!) manual, ORIGINAL BOX!
Don't let this pass you by, this is the one that woke Mr. Jobs
from his sleepy state of Apple-absence.
Does math like no machine, so fluid that it melts like Meller's...

$2900 shipped anywhere, Western Union or Money Order.

ruudman

FMNYC 25th June 2005 01:08 PM

good grief.

i guess my "vintage" powerbook 145b is worth keeping after all.

FM

FM has been vilified by the press.

Ruudman 25th June 2005 01:56 PM

heh

ruudman

Riad 26th June 2005 04:16 AM

Here ya go:

Ruudman 26th June 2005 12:27 PM

Fantastic!

The Holy Grail.

ruudman

max cooper 26th June 2005 07:29 PM

I'm sure 20 MHz WAS lightning fast!

kevinc 26th June 2005 08:03 PM

All that for under $9,000 ! heh

Riad 26th June 2005 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinc
All that for under $9,000 ! heh

That didn't include a monitor or a mouse! Doh!

zemlin 26th June 2005 11:43 PM

A couple years back I went through the "archives" and pitched a bunch of old crap. I figured it added up to about $10,000 worth of stuff (when new), some of it dating back to the mid '80s - DIP RAM chips from the days when RAM was over $100/MB - a 30MB disk I paid $300, motherboards, tape drives, CPUs, graphics cards, etc.

Just trash-canned the whole lot. Most of the things wouldn't have brought $1 on ebay.

max cooper 26th June 2005 11:51 PM

Think that's bad, I remember back in the mid or maybe late '70's, my dad had his own business, and he had to have a calculator (instead of an adding machine, I guess.)

The calculator was made by Craig, and had to be plugged into the wall. It had an LED display, and (get this) he had to LEASE it because it was way too expensive to buy. It could add, subtract, multiply and divide (and I think it could remember one number...as long as you didn't turn it off.)

zemlin 27th June 2005 12:02 AM

The University of Illinois has an Engineering Openhouse each year. They have a calculator the pull out of the closet for that - it has a nixie tube display and the basic 4 functions. If my memory serves me right, they bought a $700 option to add a square root function to it.

max cooper 27th June 2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zemlin
The University of Illinois has an Engineering Openhouse each year. They have a calculator the pull out of the closet for that - it has a nixie tube display and the basic 4 functions. If my memory serves me right, they bought a $700 option to add a square root function to it.

Wow..I guess buying a Curta Calculator wasn't an option. bumpkin

zemlin 27th June 2005 02:08 AM

It is something along the lines of this unit
http://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/commal-1000.html

nukmusic 27th June 2005 04:26 AM

LMAO...............ya'll not right! heh heh

Riad 27th June 2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djui5
ahh..that brings back memories.
I built a Tandy 1000 a while back. 10Mhz processor and 512Kb ram if I remember right. I wasen't "cool" enough to have windows yet. Those were the days.

I did the exact same thing. Mine had a Turbo button on it to increase the speed to 12Mhz. That was important because some programs ran too fast with the turbo button so you had to slow them down to 10Mhz for them to work properly.

zemlin 27th June 2005 04:05 PM

Ahh yes - the days when a "Benchmark" amounted to a DIR command to see how much you could read as it scrolled by.