Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   All Things Technical (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/)
-   -   Which cables do you used? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/356456-cables-do-you-used.html)

evisto 11th January 2009 11:39 PM

Which cables do you used?

Wich do you used for mics, analog interconexion and digital?

evisto

zoom 13th January 2009 12:17 AM

I use and I recommend XLR-cables.

cheers
Stefan

audio ergo sum 13th January 2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoom (Post 3810907)
I use and I recommend XLR-cables.

cheers
Stefan

Me too, mostly copper...

Audiop 13th January 2009 11:33 AM

I use twisted pair, shielded coppercables and XLR connectors.

Sorry.. heh

/Peter

evisto 13th January 2009 01:49 PM

Yes. of course, XLR, but I want to know wich one. Mogami, Cardas, Van den Hul....

evisto

audio ergo sum 13th January 2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evisto (Post 3812440)
Yes. of course, XLR, but I want to know wich one. Mogami, Cardas, Van den Hul....

evisto

Let me ask you a question:

Which women do you like the best:

Jane, Brigitte or Barbara? peachh

John Willett 13th January 2009 03:31 PM

Mics - BBC spec. starquad (Canford Audio).

Line interconnects - any balanced cable I have available.

Digital - Turquoise AES cable.

Digital mics - Turquoise AES cable.

Audiop 13th January 2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evisto (Post 3812440)

evisto

I was trying to be a little funny with the other guys.. XLR is not a cable it's a connector. :-)

The names you mention are different brands of cables, some possibly made by the same manufacturer (not that I know, but it's common).

I use Gotham GAC-4 (quad star) for longer lengths and GAC-2 AES/EBU (twisted pair) for shorter lengths.

You should look at the cable principle and paramaters, not the brand in the first place.

Most of these brands have cables manufactured by the same recipie. Choose one that you can get for a good price and that has a color that pleases you. ;-)

/Peter

staudio 13th January 2009 04:43 PM

In my studio I use Mogami and Canare. At work we use Crystal Cable for the primary audio path and Mogami for non recorded secondary runs.

Plush 13th January 2009 05:59 PM

We are using:

Gotham GAC-3--still the lowest capacitance with the best rf rejection of any cable.
Mogami--snakes, cables and d-sub cables ---heavy metal content 2554 cable is fantastic
Gepco X band--excellent newer cable in great colors

We make our own here with bulk wire. We are using Deltron xlr's from the UK for many years. These are more durable (all metal) than some others.

We believe that even an inexpensive properly engineered mic cable is just as good as an exotic cable.

Audiop 13th January 2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 3813019)
We are using:

Gotham GAC-3--still the lowest capacitance with the best rf rejection of any cable.

Hi Plush! According to manufacturer spec GAC-3 is the most capacitive of GAC-2, GAC-3, GAC-4 and GAC-2AES/EBU, the latter being the lowest of them all at 1/3 the C of GAC-3.

Also, wouldn't a star quad (GAC-4) have better EMI/RFI rejection than a single twisted pair?

Quote:

We believe that even an inexpensive properly engineered mic cable is just as good as an exotic cable.
Yes, fortunately the electrons don't have a clue about the price of the cable. http://www.faktiskt.se/modules/Forum.../icon_wink.gif

/Peter

XLR2XLR 13th January 2009 08:06 PM

I make my own generally:

I like starquad for mics (not really necessary for 95pct of stuff) but nice to know
it's a little better at rejecting interference.

Depends on what you do, only very good cable for mics, you can go a bit cheaper for line signals over short distance balanced.

I like Van Damme (but I only use the Jean Claude signature series, seem to get more kick with the sound)

cheers

John Hedger 13th January 2009 09:44 PM

Just for grins - I was looking at prices for high end JSP speaker cables.

Only $8,499.00 for 8ft. of Aluminata cable.

"The Aluminata series boasts the worlds first, patent pending, Particle Aluminum Shield TM (PAS)! Imagine a shield so thick that noise at any frequency or severity cannot possibly pass through it. A shield itself of 3 pounds/1.9 kg in overall weight at a two meter length, but yet as flexible as a snake!"

http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=1139

edwinhurwitz 13th January 2009 09:47 PM

I get Mogami wire and Neutrik connectors from Redco.com and make my own. I don't bother with quad wire. I don't like the higher capacitance and have never really noticed any real problems with interference. Usually in the venues I record, there are much higher sources of ambient noise, crowds, air conditioning, single coil pickups, etc.

Edwin
PS Does anyone make a quad snake? Are the benefits of using quad cable negated if you plug into a standard snake? Just curious.

Audiop 13th January 2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz (Post 3813793)
Are the benefits of using quad cable negated if you plug into a standard snake? Just curious.

Yes you get the better rejection for the quad part.

/Peter

edwinhurwitz 14th January 2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiop (Post 3814153)
Yes you get the better rejection for the quad part.

/Peter

I assume you mean "no, you still get rejection for the quad part.

:-)

Edwin

Plush 14th January 2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiop (Post 3813402)
Hi Plush! According to manufacturer spec GAC-3 is the most capacitive of GAC-2, GAC-3, GAC-4 and GAC-2AES/EBU, the latter being the lowest of them all at 1/3 the C of GAC-3.

Also, wouldn't a star quad (GAC-4) have better EMI/RFI rejection than a single twisted pair?

Yes, fortunately the electrons don't have a clue about the price of the cable. http://www.faktiskt.se/modules/Forum.../icon_wink.gif

/Peter

It's true that GAC AES is lowest capacitance. That's because it's a digital cable. It makes a very good mic cable but at some additional cost.

The GAC3 is much better than star quad at protecting against all stray fields. It is a 3 conductor cable, not a twisted pair. It also does not make one suffer the high capacitance penalties of star quad. To make GAC 3 the most rf resistant, use the 3 conductors and solder the shield to ground as well. There is an AES paper that shows this and shows the results as being the best of any cable.

wildplum 14th January 2009 05:28 AM

canare star quad for single lines, mogami and belden 1900 series for snakes.

Audiop 14th January 2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 3814640)
The GAC3 is much better than star quad at protecting against all stray fields. It is a 3 conductor cable, not a twisted pair. It also does not make one suffer the high capacitance penalties of star quad. To make GAC 3 the most rf resistant, use the 3 conductors and solder the shield to ground as well. There is an AES paper that shows this and shows the results as being the best of any cable.

Thanks, it sounds interesting and I'll look into it allthough it conflicts with Gothams website info.

GAc-3 -- GAC-4:

RF-rejection: 115dB -- 130dB
C cond-cond: 150pF/m -- 55pF/m
C cond-shield: 240pF/m -- 103pF/m

I think the numbers above for cond-cond needs to be doubled for GAC-4 since I assume they indicate capacitance for one pair of conductors and not when connected as quad (which would effectively double C).

/Peter

Audiop 14th January 2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz (Post 3814614)
I assume you mean "no, you still get rejection for the quad part.

:-)

Edwin

Yes that's what I meant! :-)

/Peter

achabloop5080 14th January 2009 11:53 AM

I use Schoeps EMC Microphones Cables and I think they're very good, though seldom mentioned.....

MichaelPatrick 15th January 2009 12:57 AM

For mics:
  • Mogami Quad Neglex - many
  • Mogami AES - some
  • Analysis-Plus Yellow Oval - some
  • JPS Aluminata - just one 20 meter stereo for mains

For line:
  • Mogami AES
  • Analysis-Plus Yellow Oval
For digital:
  • Mogami AES
Like Plush, I terminate most cables myself.

I heard Whirlwind is converting their standard XLRs to gold contacts, so I'm about to buy some laser etched XLRs from them so I can keep some cables from walking away so fast.

Sounds Great 15th January 2009 01:46 AM

Looks like you all ran evisto off his thread.

It is a tough crowd around here. heh

evisto 16th January 2009 03:44 PM

I am reading and learning. Sometimes I would like to say something, but my English is not the best and I donĀ“t like to be imprecise.
All in all thank you very much all of you.

evisto

bcgood 17th January 2009 08:46 AM

I finally broke down and bought some of the high end Mogami Golds just 3' XLR for minimal resistance, (It's futile anyway).

Now I need to make some recordings with these new cable.

John Hedger 17th January 2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgood (Post 3826095)
I finally broke down and bought some of the high end Mogami Golds just 3' XLR for minimal resistance, (It's futile anyway).

Now I need to make some recordings with these new cable.

I just bought two Mogami Gold 3ft. XLR female to male balanced TRS cables to make connection from my Great River pre to my new Kork MR-1000 recorder. It was less than $100, but more than I wanted to spend on 6ft of cable! Still, I realize short runs of high quality cable are important, especially when working with ribbon mics. It's all for better sound!

NetworkAudio 17th January 2009 10:35 AM

We use Mogami 2549 for mic cables and 130v DPA cables, but our next batch is likely to be Van-Damme.
Gotham GAC2 AES for AES/mic cables
Gotham, Neumann and Schoeps cables for our M150's, M222 and SF12.

Mogami and Van-Damme AES snakes
Van-Damme 268-675-000 low loss 75meter madisnakes/clock cables.
Van-Damme Speakercables 2awg studio series.

Pno 19th April 2018 05:13 AM

I've been using GAC-3 and Neutrik EMC connectors...I've had 50m lengths run in ceilings by all sorts of stuff (and electricians who just stick it anywhere) the only thing I've seen on an analyser is a dB or so at 20k (line level that is)...also have some 30m mic cables that I use regularly, same thing...noise was identical to a 15cm cable with standard connectors...I solder the green wire to the cup at both ends and spread the shield as specified. It's seriously good value if you buy a box (four rolls), seems a no-brainer, I read the AES paper...it folds up nicely too; only annoying thing is the Planet Waves ties are too big for the small diameter jacket (they have a larger jacket size version but it's more expensive)...also works great as an unbalanced cable (tie everything but + to shield)...also used it as a stereo unbalanced cable, seems good too...I like cheap stuff that works great and is flexible....not a bad guitar cable either.

Yannick 19th April 2018 08:25 AM

The new gotham ultra pro (dual conductor or star quad) is IMO the best of the gotham series.

I would urge the OP to buy two lengths of this, even if it is (only) 4x more expensive. If you solder your own, the difference is small for eg 2x 10m.

It is significantly better than the gac2,3,4 IMO. Also, note that conductor resistance is much lower than gac3, capacitance much lower, shielding even better, handling worse, and finally the conductor insulation is not the standard pvc spec, which is regarded buy almost the entire industry as bad sounding.

Now if you think there is no interaction between the conductor and the insulator, think again, and do some research.

I wired my ultra pros such that they use the internal shields on pin1, and the external shield on the shell.

I bought two lengths of Grim TPR a few weeks ago, they sound worse than my 15 year old gac4 cables. I can only use them for aes connection, luckily they meet the spec. Or give them away ...

Rolo 46 19th April 2018 09:27 AM

Canare stereo star quad has never let me down