Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Besides Funk Logic fake rack gear, is there anything else ? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/35352-besides-funk-logic-fake-rack-gear-there-anything-else.html)

exfakto 15th June 2005 03:40 PM

Besides Funk Logic fake rack gear, is there anything else ?

hidz Yup, I need another "Can you make the snare pop louder" fake gear that i can fiddle that look nice. I know this will make some of you sick to your stomach but I get this alot and I need something new to do this. They also make great father's day presents!!! (yeah right) hidz

MIKEHARRIS 15th June 2005 04:33 PM

UHHH....cant you just twist the knob of something your not using

maskedman72 15th June 2005 07:20 PM

i dont quite understand the question.

Teacher 15th June 2005 07:24 PM

I'm guessing he wants to buy something, so he can tell his clients i got more new kewl gear....and charge more?

Dishonest but crafty...

mds 15th June 2005 07:32 PM

Or just have a knob to twist to make the client feel like he changed something...

The psychology of this stuff is bewildering...

David R. 15th June 2005 08:21 PM

I just finished putting in a bamboo floor, and we have some pieces left over. Got me thinking of making my own 'Funk Logic' kind of stuff. See what kind of cool knobs and dials I can find and mount them.

Are you looking for analog or digital?

boing

exfakto 15th June 2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mds
Or just have a knob to twist to make the client feel like he changed something...

The psychology of this stuff is bewildering...

That's exactly my point. Dont get me wrong, the idea is not to be dishonest or charge more, I dont work like that. This is all purely cosmetic. But yes the psicological factor is in there. I get alot of assholes in here. Id love to try to find some sort of three rack space spectrum analyzer with its own mic that responds to my monitors volume. Its another way of adding to the studio vibe, No wrong intended here.

For the guy who didnt understand the question go to www.mercenary.com and search for the Funk Logic gear to find out.

Kenny Gioia 16th June 2005 12:06 AM

Try the Manley, Langevin or the Avalon Compressor.

They all look great and do nothing.

Some slutz like that stuff.

max cooper 16th June 2005 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Produceher
Try the Manley, Langevin or the Avalon Compressor.

They all look great and do nothing.

Some slutz like that stuff.

That was a good funny!
diddlydoo

The nicest floor I've ever seen is a bamboo job. Super slick! kfhkh

I think you should go to one of those places with lots of used P.A. gear and get some of that stuff...it's pretty cheap and has lots of knobs usually. Unless the client is someone who knows gear, then even Funk Logic isn't going to fool them.

RKrizman 16th June 2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exfakto
hidz Yup, I need another "Can you make the snare pop louder" fake gear that i can fiddle that look nice. I know this will make some of you sick to your stomach but I get this alot and I need something new to do this. They also make great father's day presents!!! (yeah right) hidz

Kenny Goia's Drum Sample CD.

-R

Kingtone 16th June 2005 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKrizman
Kenny Goia's Drum Sample CD.

-R

nah sorry Krizman... that wasnt funny...fuuck
Kenny's one was though! heh

jho 16th June 2005 02:06 AM

Just buy a bunch of cool old vintage cheap rack stuff that goes for like 50 bucks on ebay...like yamaha drum machines, alesis stuff, etc...then it's like the same price as funk but you might be able to use it now and then....

WunderBro Flo 19th June 2005 11:07 PM

I got an empty Manley Massive Passive on ebay for $200!
It makes me oh so happy whenever someone comes into my studio for the first time, making a face like a kid in disneyland!

Rock on!
Pat

theblue1 20th June 2005 01:53 AM

This stuff is an outgrowth of the "producer knob" that some engineers used to use to distract over-eager producer types. You gave them a fader or knob someplace out of the way where they can't muck things up if they grab the wrong knob, told them that its effect is really subtle but can really put the magic fairy dust in the mix/track/whatever.

The guy I first heard this from insisted it was so popular with a couple of his frequent customers that, per their request he put "the producer knob" in a little handheld box on a long cable that the producer could take back to the couch and twist and tweak to his heart's content. (Of course, that also made everything safer.)

According to the story, every once in a while the owner/engineer would turn around and ask the producer to check the knob and say "that's what I thought" or "huh, that's weird" as seemed appropriate to the general mood, sometimes requesting him to bump it up a little and then turning to him and saying pointedly, "You hear that -- that's why this thing is so powerful." Of course, the knob didn't do anything at all...

I heard about someone who added a little visual feedback to his own producer knob -- and to cut down on newbies asking "Are you sure this thing does anything?" -- in the form of a meter than rose in a nonlinear relation to the knob. "See how it rises fast there, as you turn it up? That's why you've got to be careful with this thing..."

Now, me, I advocate honesty as the best policy in the workplace. These people are our clients, ultimately, and it's kind of a no no to lie to clients. OTOH, some clients...

heh