Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   have you ever panned the kick totally in one side? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/328826-have-you-ever-panned-kick-totally-one-side.html)

mattianlaseppia 17th September 2008 07:48 PM

have you ever panned the kick totally in one side?

some times i like it in some kind of song..

is totally wrong?

dsl 17th September 2008 08:06 PM

Pat Travers - "Snortin' Whiskey"

The kick is mixed to the right.

Doc Mixwell 17th September 2008 08:11 PM

Do what the music requires: nothing more, and nothing less.

You are the only one who can tell us if panning the kick is wrong or not.
Sure, its wrong for my music, but my music is not your music and so forth.

There is never a wrong answer in regard to art and creativity.

mattianlaseppia 17th September 2008 08:39 PM

Keire 17th September 2008 08:52 PM

i sometimes take the OH and FOk and keep them balanced normally...but do things with the kick and snare.

Jose Mrochek 17th September 2008 08:53 PM

panning the whole kit sounds awesome sometimes heh but yeah whatever, it really depends on the song, and if you do something thats not common and works you will have more clients, or vice versa howdy

steelyfan 17th September 2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattianlaseppia (Post 3496813)

is totally wrong?

You're already a hero for considering it.kfhkh

vernier 17th September 2008 09:38 PM

I like kick panned hard to one side, and bass the other ...the effect is not unlike surround.

'

Preme Diesel 17th September 2008 09:39 PM

blasphemy

James Meeker 17th September 2008 09:41 PM

How about recording a metal band with hard pans on the left and right double bass!

Probably get sea sick before the first song was over.

EJW 17th September 2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell (Post 3496861)
Do what the music requires: nothing more, and nothing less.

You are the only one who can tell us if panning the kick is wrong or not.
Sure, its wrong for my music, but my music is not your music and so forth.

There is never a wrong answer in regard to art and creativity.

Exactly. But, it works great for my music. You'll learn quickly, mattianlaseppia, that it's always different strokes for different folks.

colinmiller 17th September 2008 09:49 PM

I recently mixed a song where the whole kid panned to the left side during the verses and then back to stereo in the choruses. But not just the kick.

Rappy 17th September 2008 10:03 PM

It's a cool idea, but it will only work if you are going for a very special effect. I do love some old records when voices and some instruments were panned all to one side, and the drums and backing tracks all the way to the other.

I read somewhere that the logical reason for mixing bass and kick all the way up the center is that, on playback, the low end response of two stereo speakers will couple together better. You'll get more thump and low end with it up the middle. Think about it, a speaker cabinet with dual woofers will always sound bassier than a similar cabinet with only one. Your monitors or playback system, if positioned is a somewhat optimal stereo image, produce the same coupling effect (albeit with a few feet of air in between). When you pan a bass instrument hard to one side, you are asking one woofer to do all the work and you don't get that same coupling effect.

Forgive me if I didn't explain this technically enough, but that is the idea.

Cheers,

Rappy

p.s. Here's an idea: What about panning one kick drum all the way to one side and a kick drum sample all the way to the other? Try to match the levels, tuning, and decay times, but choose sounds with different textures and overtones. I've never tried it, but it might sound cool. Similar to playing a guitar pass through two amps and panning hard L-R.

Mr.HOLMES 17th September 2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preme Diesel (Post 3497070)
blasphemy

I have not known that the great Geoff Emrick who did a lot of Beatles stuff is a nonbeliever.

This bad guy had the balls to pan the BD to the left and Base to the right.
Dr. Dre did too..... devils all devils...bad people!!!

But I just read in the Bible of Engineering!!!

Because Jesus said:

If you start to pan the BD or the Base off center it will cause that the apocalypse is near.
All BD and Base paners will belong into hell.

The BD and Base center engineers find a place on the right side off Jesus Christ in the kingdom of heaven.

Amen

dbbubba 17th September 2008 10:22 PM

Who here knows WHY the kick has always been traditionally panned up the center?

Peacock 17th September 2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattianlaseppia (Post 3496813)

is totally wrong?

No. Sometimes we pan the entire kit. Lots of older records do. Check out America by Simon and Garfunkel where the kick hits are panned hard right against Garfunkel's backing vocal panned left. great song-

Mr.HOLMES 17th September 2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbbubba (Post 3497188)
Who here knows WHY the kick has always been traditionally panned up the center?

Good question.
But I do not know the answer!!!

dbbubba 17th September 2008 10:31 PM

Let's wait to see if anyone can answer...

Vernier?

Mr.HOLMES 17th September 2008 10:34 PM

Maybe because one amplifier side could not handle all the energy??

dbbubba 17th September 2008 10:42 PM

no.... in the ball park.... sort of

jeremy.c. 17th September 2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES (Post 3497170)
Because Jesus said:

If you start to pan the BD or the Base off center it will cause that the apocalypse is near.
All BD and Base paners will belong into hell.

The BD and Base center engineers find a place on the right side off Jesus Christ in the kingdom of heaven.

Amen

I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers."

Well, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

Jackie Treehorn 17th September 2008 10:53 PM

I would guess that it could knock the needle out of the vinyl groove.

dbbubba 17th September 2008 11:02 PM

and the winner is!!!!

MISTER JACKIE TREEHORN!!!!!

Bruno5150 17th September 2008 11:05 PM

once i did it, for an instrumental part in the middle of a song... the band wanted the instruments moving around... including the kick.,.. i sounded good as an effect... but it was not so noticeble outside the studio...

Idiophonic 18th September 2008 12:12 AM

exactly my guess, when playing or cutting a record, the sudden impact of the bass drum to one side would cause the lathe to "skip"...just an educated guess.

I also remember hearing that the first compressors and limiters were developed back in the day to keep sudden transients from causing the lathe to jump...anyone else ever heard this? (before stereo, btw...)

Mr.HOLMES 18th September 2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbbubba (Post 3497309)
and the winner is!!!!

MISTER JACKIE TREEHORN!!!!!

Logical....but how do they handled this on an Beatles record???
Forgot the name of the song but I can remember that the BD was on one site.

MarkRB 18th September 2008 01:25 AM

Yes, it's totally and utterly immoral.

I'm sending the Pan Police round. Then you'll be sorry.

DesertDawg 18th September 2008 02:45 AM

I used to often pan the kick very slightly left & the snare very slightly right... like maybe 11:57 & 12:03, and I used to catch such hell for it from people who would notice it that I just quit doing it - I thought it made it better for the lead vox to sit right in the perfect "pocket", for one. FWIW, I haven't even thought about trying that again for YEARS now until this thread... so how's that for becoming a creature of habit?

JustinAiken 18th September 2008 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES (Post 3497516)
Logical....but how do they handled this on an Beatles record???
Forgot the name of the song but I can remember that the BD was on one site.

I just listened through all of Sgt. Pepper's today (the Ebbett stereo version), and there is some CRAZY panning of the drums over the whole album...

BushmasterM4 18th September 2008 03:39 AM

The Doors had some really good sounding music, which the drums were all over the place.