Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Lexicon Vortex (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/2636-lexicon-vortex.html)

mdbeh 30th January 2003 07:07 PM

Lexicon Vortex
 
I got one of those "I'm selling my studio" e-mails (sighhidz ) yesterday. There was a Lexicon Vortex on the for sale list. It's a low-end effects box and (I think) hasn't been made for a few years. I remember some people really liking it for "wacky" effects, though.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it for cheap?

CrazyBeast 30th January 2003 11:16 PM

Yep. I think it's cool and unique. The tap function and how it works with the different algorithms is quite, umm... cool and unique.

mdbeh 31st January 2003 01:09 AM

So, is it cool and unique? heh

alphajerk 31st January 2003 01:37 AM

no way, its unique and cool.

mdbeh 31st January 2003 07:25 AM

Dammit, now I'm confused. Which is it? mezed

DigitMus 31st January 2003 07:48 AM

It is uniquely cool - I just wish it would save settings when you power it down.

alphajerk 31st January 2003 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DigitMus
It is uniquely cool - I just wish it would save settings when you power it down.
aside from tap tempo, you can... just stick it in the user setting. [store]

|-| 16th March 2011 07:12 PM

Brought back from the dead.

The proprietary 50k dual log input pot blows out easily, causing your input to become nothing but scratch noise.

Big issue with these and the Lexicon Alex, they become unusable...

Decided to hit up Lexicon to find the part number and the slim chance of any stocked still.

THEY HAVE 130, in stock, STILL! As of March 11th 2011! Quite impressive.

Part No: 200-09545

$3.00 + shipping ($5 standard shipping)

Put this post for archival purposes to help anyone out in the future.

Keep this strange unit going! It's pretty bizarre...

Michael Carnes 5th April 2011 07:02 PM

Nice to hear there are some happy users of Vortex out there. It was never a big seller for us, but those that liked it liked it a lot. You can thank Steve deFuria for coming up with the idea and Jim MacArthur for some ace coding. They both moved on, but made some nice products for Lex.

seancostello 8th April 2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobody Special (Post 6508985)
Nice to hear there are some happy users of Vortex out there. It was never a big seller for us, but those that liked it liked it a lot. You can thank Steve deFuria for coming up with the idea and Jim MacArthur for some ace coding. They both moved on, but made some nice products for Lex.

I have a Vortex. I loved it back in the 1990's, but put it in storage when I moved to the Bay Area.

Question (that you may not be able to answer): Was everything implemented with a single algorithm, using smoothed and mixing matrices to route things around? I always wondered how the "morphing" worked, and it seems like it would rely on crossfading between different signal paths, and using interpolation between delay length coefficients and the like.

Michael Carnes 8th April 2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seancostello (Post 6519233)
Was everything implemented with a single algorithm, using smoothed and mixing matrices to route things around

Sean, I don't remember every detail, but your description is basically accurate.