Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Ear 660 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/2362-ear-660-a.html)

Beech 13th January 2003 03:06 PM

Ear 660

Does anyone have any experience with these comp/limiters? I have one on the way for appro and would love to hear of any other users. I' m looking for the ultimate comp for vocals, especially crooners!

Thanks,
DW

thethrillfactor 13th January 2003 06:48 PM

Right now its my favorite comp when tracking vocals.kfhkh

You won't be dissapointed.jkthtyrt

Fletcher 13th January 2003 07:01 PM

They're really frighteningly cool... I highly doubt you'll be disappointed...

Jules 13th January 2003 08:14 PM

I want one of those so bad I can taste it!

jummpp

very spendy however...

clipgod 15th January 2003 03:28 AM

I had one for a couple of days in my studio and loved it on vocals, but didn`t have the time to check it out more detailed.

Write a private message to rcmsound, he has a stereo pair of them - bastard

groundcontrol 15th January 2003 08:23 AM

Hopefully, Jules is gonna have one for a give-away any time soon. BTW, my birthday is in February Jules...
heh heh heh diddlydoo diddlydoo diddlydoo howdy

harryhess 28th March 2009 07:02 PM

EAR 660 Compressor

I just purchased a pair of EAR 660's and they just sound great no matter what you do with them but I'd love to hear from someone that has more experience with them on how they would recommend setting the DC threshold and AC threshold as a two mix buss compressor for more heavy rock stuff...

Thanks

tonyrockyhorror 28th March 2009 07:17 PM

Wanna hear something crazy? I had the EAR and within five days of getting my pair of AM660s, it was up for sale. I s**t you not. It's not even like I felt that I'd compromised in some way to get the extra money - I didn't give a crap about that - I genuinely thought the Anamod was better (still do) and nearly everyone who heard it felt the same. Obviously you lose a certain aesthetic appeal and the satisfaction of using a big, badass machine, but I had to go with my ears and nothing else. Funny, you never really expect something like that to happen, but it sure is nice when it does.

syra 1st May 2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror (Post 4042470)
Wanna hear something crazy? I had the EAR and within five days of getting my pair of AM660s, it was up for sale. I s**t you not. It's not even like I felt that I'd compromised in some way to get the extra money - I didn't give a crap about that - I genuinely thought the Anamod was better (still do) and nearly everyone who heard it felt the same. Obviously you lose a certain aesthetic appeal and the satisfaction of using a big, badass machine, but I had to go with my ears and nothing else. Funny, you never really expect something like that to happen, but it sure is nice when it does.

The EAR 660 is not supposed to be a Fairchild replica. It is its on own thing. And an amazing one on that end.

syra 1st May 2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryhess (Post 4042421)
I just purchased a pair of EAR 660's and they just sound great no matter what you do with them but I'd love to hear from someone that has more experience with them on how they would recommend setting the DC threshold and AC threshold as a two mix buss compressor for more heavy rock stuff...

Thanks

All the way towards knee compression and preset 2 doing 2 db of GR.

wildpark 1st May 2009 06:26 PM

plus 1 for the ear 660 got still his place since introduced !
ass kicking recording compressor and thats why i bought it instead of going the cheap way,no iam not a millionare yed just saving my time ? and money and mad times ive had with all itb solutions !.

bewareofdogs 2nd May 2009 09:19 AM

A really fine unit.
But there are other vari-mu units that sound as big and cost a lot less.

:deth:

Ravenclaw 2nd May 2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewareofdogs (Post 4148578)
A really fine unit.
But there are other vari-mu units that sound as big and cost a lot less.

:deth:

Such as?

bewareofdogs 2nd May 2009 09:41 AM

RETRO 176 Tube Limiting Amplifier

Slipperman 2nd May 2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewareofdogs (Post 4148606)

Apples and oranges.

EAR 660 is KING at what it does.

Hard as hell to learn/set-up.

Worth the effort.

Sta-Level is one trick pony, piece of cake to set-up... either works in 30 seconds or it doesn't.

Best regards,

SM.

syra 2nd May 2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewareofdogs (Post 4148606)

Funny, I was just listening to my pair of R176s and EAR660s yesterday with Roundbadge at my studio.

As Slipperman said, apples and oranges. Completely different colors and response.

bewareofdogs 2nd May 2009 10:31 AM

Didn't say are equal.
Said big sounding.

Sta-Level: I like it a bit more than the 175.

Then if you are looking for the ultimate vocal comp and price no option, go for that.

Slipperman 2nd May 2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewareofdogs (Post 4148665)
Sta-Level: I like it a bit more than the 175.

Amen.

All 3 are great boxes.

SM.

RoundBadge 2nd May 2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syra (Post 4148626)
Funny, I was just listening to my pair of R176s and EAR660s yesterday with Roundbadge at my studio.

As Slipperman said, apples and oranges. Completely different colors and response.

+2
diff.the low mids and lows and that lovely gentle enhancement/ lift on the Ears in the 5-6k region.beyond sweet.
man I wish I had the Ears again.
money aside,i'd waay rather get those again than another 670

Dirty Halo 2nd May 2009 07:16 PM

Yeah, it was, actually...

Quote:

Originally Posted by syra (Post 4146592)
The EAR 660 is not supposed to be a Fairchild replica. It is its on own thing. And an amazing one on that end.

Funny how now that the Anamod 660 came out, that all of a sudden the EAR 660 isn't supposed to be a 660 anymore. heh and mezed

Come on guys, I understand the value of saying its own thing, but don't fool yourselves, it WAS designed to be a 660, hence the name... uh... "660."

-andrewskfhkh

RoundBadge 2nd May 2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Halo (Post 4149452)

Come on guys, I understand the value of saying its own thing, but don't fool yourselves, it WAS designed to be a 660, hence the name... uh... "660."

-andrewskfhkh

Yes that was the original intention.but sonically it is it's own thing.
the Ear always sounded more hi fi to me.
Even if the sky was raining money,I personally would take the Ears over the 670.gooof

syra 2nd May 2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Halo (Post 4149452)
Funny how now that the Anamod 660 came out, that all of a sudden the EAR 660 isn't supposed to be a 660 anymore. heh and mezed

-andrewskfhkh

From the EAR 660 product description page:

"Inspired by the classic Fairchild limiter-compressor but with significant improvements in signal handling and stability, this is designed to be as unintrusive as possible while still providing the required control of dynamic range."

RoundBadge is the one with the experience here having owned both. Maybe he could explain the differences more in detail.

syra 2nd May 2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundBadge (Post 4149494)
Yes that was the original intention.but sonically it is it's own thing.
the Ear always sounded more hi fi to me.
If the sky was raining money,I personally would take the Ears over the 670.gooof

haha... posted at the same time... I guess there you have it.

Dirty Halo 2nd May 2009 08:21 PM

Just sayin'...

Quote:

Originally Posted by syra (Post 4149501)
From the EAR 660 product description page:

"Inspired by the classic Fairchild limiter-compressor but with significant improvements in signal handling and stability, this is designed to be as unintrusive as possible while still providing the required control of dynamic range."

RoundBadge is the one with the experience here having owned both. Maybe he could explain the differences more in detail.

If they didn't originally INTEND for it to take the place of a 660, they would not have called it a 660.

And yes, I get the better, more high-fi, all that... in fact, I'd say the same about the Pendulum 6386, which is arguably the same idea. FANTASTIC piece, btwkfhkh

-andrewspeachh

RoundBadge 2nd May 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Halo (Post 4149590)
... in fact, I'd say the same about the Pendulum 6386, which is arguably the same idea. FANTASTIC piece, btwkfhkh

-andrewspeachh

Interesting to get to finally play w/ a Pend 6386 compared to the SHMC,EAR 660's,176's,Mpressor,etc @ Syra's the other day.
nice comp,but I can't really say it was love at first listen.

Rob King 2nd May 2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundBadge (Post 4149830)
Interesting to get to finally play w/ a Pend 6386 compared to the SH,etc @ Syra's the other day.nice comp but I can't really say it was love at first listen.

I was at Syra's studio last week as well and have to agree that the Pedulum 6386 was ok at first listen and the EAR's destroyed it. EAR 660's, Reto 176's and SH Master Comp were all great and totally different. They all have their magical place.

Deleted User 2nd May 2009 10:57 PM

Any comparison to the Mercury 660 at this compressor love in ?

RoundBadge 2nd May 2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul EQ (Post 4149893)
Any comparison to the Mercury 660 at this compressor love in ?

Sorry No.

cl516 3rd May 2009 12:31 AM

well i don't have all the other cool pieces to compare it to, but my EAR660 is indeed a special weapon in my arsenal. other than some superficial understanding of what the controls do, I don't actually comprehend how it does what it does. i'm certainly using it a lot different now than when i first got it.

Empire Prod 3rd May 2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beech (Post 26884)
Does anyone have any experience with these comp/limiters? I have one on the way for appro and would love to hear of any other users. I' m looking for the ultimate comp for vocals, especially crooners!

They are awesome vocal comps. The problem is that you will want a pair because they absolutely kill on the 2buss.