Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Q+A with Dave Pensado (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-dave-pensado/)
-   -   LO FI (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-dave-pensado/20387-lo-fi.html)

krs 14th September 2004 10:45 PM

LO FI

Dave - big fan of your work, and have really enjoyed the tips you've been sharing.

I always enjoy hearing about top engineers/artists doing stuff totally "wrong" in the studio. (eg Bono recording in the control room with the monitors blaring) stuff like that, but not necessarily to achieve a lofi sound. More like, screw it, let's do it this way, it sounds fine:)

Any really weird stuff that's made into albums you've mixed? Just curious, thought it might be entertaining (and maybe even useful!)

best krs

Dave Pensado 17th September 2004 01:17 AM

1st floor, mens fashions

The 1st studio I worked in didn't have a lot of outboard gear. I didn't realize I was at a disadvantage, because I didn't know what gear was out there. I heard all these sounds on records and figured I should be able to get them. Well the studio had an elevator. I put two speakers in the bottom of the elevator shaft, and hung two mics off of the bottom of the elevator aimed towards the speakers. I would raise or lower the elevator until I got the delay/sound I wanted. I would put an "out-of-order" sign on the elevator doors, and mix away.

LumenStudio 17th September 2004 01:54 AM

i think this is a cool thread...

as much as us want-to-be's try and try to get the right gear and the right techniques, sometimes you gotta just trust yourself and be creative

Dave Pensado 17th September 2004 04:13 AM

Lumen

It's about creativity, not gear. It is easy to forget about the music, and inflict OUR taste all over the place. Gear is only about 25% of it, the rest is creativity. At the level I work at we all have the SAME gear, but we all sound different. I think the most important quality to have is the WILL to make a great record, then the realization will follow. I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.

Al├ęcio Costa 19th September 2004 06:54 AM

a tip..one for the road-lol

a cool tip..
take some coins and throw them at your studio hall. use 2 condensers considerably far apart ( suggest AT4050s) and mix to taste.
Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons will envy you (Dark side...)
:)

djui5 20th September 2004 02:10 AM

Re: 1st floor, mens fashions

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Pensado
The 1st studio I worked in didn't have a lot of outboard gear. I didn't realize I was at a disadvantage, because I didn't know what gear was out there. I heard all these sounds on records and figured I should be able to get them. Well the studio had an elevator. I put two speakers in the bottom of the elevator shaft, and hung two mics off of the bottom of the elevator aimed towards the speakers. I would raise or lower the elevator until I got the delay/sound I wanted. I would put an "out-of-order" sign on the elevator doors, and mix away.

Genius........absolutly genius...

LTA 20th September 2004 07:35 AM

Re: Re: 1st floor, mens fashions

Quote:

Originally posted by djui5
Genius........absolutly genius...
^_^ I can just picture people price checking adding an elevator to their studio now :)