Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Avedis MA5 Who Has Them (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/175057-avedis-ma5-who-has-them.html)

Aearth 7th February 2008 09:17 AM

Avedis MA5 Who Has Them

Well I for one have 1 and soon another. But it's all so quiet around here on their sound and mojo. I thought these pres would be stirring up all Slutz users and soon to be users.
So who has them and who finds that they one of the best sounding pre about (for now)? Or is it just me?

nIC

softshoe 7th February 2008 12:40 PM

I had the pleasure of shooting out a bunch of high end pres the other day and I've got to say that the MA5's really stood out. They had that wonderful neve type harmonic distortion, but were clearer, and with the 28K button we had the option of air! Very musical and top notch build quality. I will definitely be adding some of these.

Jamz 7th February 2008 01:53 PM

I have a pair of MA5s. Plenty of gain and has a nice bottom end. Has a nice thick sound yet clear not muddy. Very solid build. 28k button is nice in many situations. Like softshoe stated it adds that air. Sometimes it's a subtle thing, sometimes it's that one extra touch on the top end that makes a significant difference, sometimes it's too much or just not needed. Great option to have on a pre.
So far I've really liked it on kick, snare, electric guitars and mic'd Ampeg bass cab using an RE20. The other day I tried it on a vocal but in this particular instance I preferred the slightly smoother sound of the SH Gama.
API 512s and Avedis MA5s...they rock.

johnnyjellybean 8th February 2008 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 1821270)
API 512s and Avedis MA5s...they rock.

I'll be getting my MA5 next week and it's gonna be sitting beside the 512c! (My MA5 is kind of special and I'll post pics when it arrives to show you guys why!)

TonyBelmont 8th February 2008 05:05 AM

I've got one. heh

mixerguy 8th February 2008 06:25 AM

I wish I had about 8 of them!
hittt

Jamz 8th February 2008 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean (Post 1823210)
I'll be getting my MA5 next week and it's gonna be sitting beside the 512c! (My MA5 is kind of special and I'll post pics when it arrives to show you guys why!)

A wild guess...it's a color other than red?
Don't forget to post a pic or two. Congrats!! thumbsup

PT User 8th February 2008 07:57 AM

I have one, thanks to Tonythumbsup

Barry Lird 8th February 2008 04:24 PM

I have a pair and LOVE them. Just used them as drum overheads with a Royer SF12 and the 28k engaged - very tasty. Amazing on vocals too, and actually pretty much everything you put them up on. Perfect compliment to my pair of 512Cs. I too would like a rack full of them.

Also, Avedis may be the world's nicest guy.

About the colors: not to spoil it, but I've personally seen 2 other colors of these: A greenish grey - sort of military green, and also a bright orange. I chose the standard red though.

computa 8th February 2008 06:33 PM

do they have Line inputs/DI's ??

TonyBelmont 8th February 2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computa (Post 1824299)
do they have Line inputs/DI's ??

No. But, we have Line-Z adapters that allow you to go line level through the mic input and hit the transformer at the proper impedance. They are $35/ each.kfhkh

Akoppenheffer 8th February 2008 09:52 PM

Just got mine two days ago. Did a quick electric guitar test with it and a 512c. (Lots of us have that combination, I see.) It was literally like 15 minutes, but a quick listen yielded that MA5 had al ittle more presence up top as compared the API. I'm using it for vocals tomorrow. I think it'll be good.

drBill 8th February 2008 10:20 PM

I'm curious to hear more from you guys as you get to use them. I had high expectations, and after hearing the Lugo clips, I have to admit, that I wasn't blown away. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting. I guess something more vintage neve-ish. I know ultiimately I need to get them into my own studio to make the comparison, but I was hoping for something that sounded more like the BAE 1073 pre. I guess it sounded a little more "hi-fi" than I was expecting. Any thoughts in that regard? I dont' have the cash for them right now, but they are definately on the list of pre's to check out for my 500 series needs. Right now, my faves in the 500 vein are of course the 512's and the Biz. The Gama is cool too, but almost like an API clone - yet a bit different. Cheers,

bp

TonyBelmont 8th February 2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drBill (Post 1824809)
I'm curious to hear more from you guys as you get to use them. I had high expectations, and after hearing the Lugo clips, I have to admit, that I wasn't blown away. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting. I guess something more vintage neve-ish. I know ultiimately I need to get them into my own studio to make the comparison, but I was hoping for something that sounded more like the BAE 1073 pre. I guess it sounded a little more "hi-fi" than I was expecting. Any thoughts in that regard? I dont' have the cash for them right now, but they are definately on the list of pre's to check out for my 500 series needs. Right now, my faves in the 500 vein are of course the 512's and the Biz. The Gama is cool too, but almost like an API clone - yet a bit different. Cheers,

bp

James Lugo's clips didn't have any 1073's for comparison, so I'm not sure how you can form that opinion. They were all blown away by the MA5 there...

I'll send you an MA5 after we get caught up on orders so you can compare them directly to your 1073's (assuming you have 1073's)... In double blind tests with BAE 1073's, people picked the MA5 more often than the BAE as the "1073"... they are very close in sound.

bobwarren 8th February 2008 11:25 PM

I've got a pair coming next week (Thanks also, Tony) and a GR MP500NV (thanks, Mr. Dent). When I finish the project I'm recording now, I'll clear enough to get a BAE 1073 in a Boutique rack. Speaking with Tony, he's got me lathered up over the EM Blue. Very curious to hear how they sound as well.

Aearth 8th February 2008 11:48 PM

I'm not sure if I should get a pair of Action comps or another pair of MA5's. The MA5 is just so haunting, a rack of them would very cool.

nIC

drBill 9th February 2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBelmont (Post 1824861)
James Lugo's clips didn't have any 1073's for comparison, so I'm not sure how you can form that opinion. They were all blown away by the MA5 there...

I'll send you an MA5 after we get caught up on orders so you can compare them directly to your 1073's (assuming you have 1073's)... In double blind tests with BAE 1073's, people picked the MA5 more often than the BAE as the "1073"... they are very close in sound.

Tony, thanks for that. The place I heard them against the 1073's were on the jonnkenn vocal shootout. They are definately great sounding pre's, they just didn't have the "grunge" (if you want to call it that) that the 1073's had in those clips. I know that he had the "28k" switch engaged, so that may have an impact. Then again, how can you possibly judge something when someone else is turning the knobs in a studio thousands of miles away and compressing to an MP3. Nice to hear that they are so close. Looking forward to hearing them "IN PERSON". heh

bp

deuc647 9th February 2008 01:16 AM

i am really thinking of selling my sebs and getting a pair of these, one thing, how well do these pres stack?

Aearth 9th February 2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuc647 (Post 1825184)
i am really thinking of selling my sebs and getting a pair of these, one thing, how well do these pres stack?

What do you mean? sound or storage.

nIC

deuc647 9th February 2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aearth (Post 1825328)
What do you mean? sound or storage.

nIC

Sound

MichaelPatrick 9th February 2008 05:48 PM

Good for classical?

I'm always looking for magic in recording classical ensembles in live acoustic settings. What I've read so far says this might work. I'm disappointed by a Pacifica I recently bought for this purpose. (Anyone want to trade 2 MA5s for a near mint Pacifica?)
diddlydoo

AB3 9th February 2008 06:00 PM

For this purpose, you woud probably be better off with the Forssell solid state pre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick (Post 1826249)
I'm always looking for magic in recording classical ensembles in live acoustic settings. What I've read so far says this might work. I'm disappointed by a Pacifica I recently bought for this purpose. (Anyone want to trade 2 MA5s for a near mint Pacifica?)
diddlydoo

warhead 9th February 2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobwarren (Post 1824949)
I've got a pair coming next week (Thanks also, Tony) and a GR MP500NV (thanks, Mr. Dent). When I finish the project I'm recording now, I'll clear enough to get a BAE 1073 in a Boutique rack. Speaking with Tony, he's got me lathered up over the EM Blue. Very curious to hear how they sound as well.

Unless coincidentally Tony had the same talk with you, that was me spouting off my love for the EM BLUE.

War jkthtyrt

pan60 9th February 2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobwarren (Post 1824949)

i love the EM BLUE boing
very nice! boing

MichaelPatrick 9th February 2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB3 (Post 1826288)
For this purpose, you woud probably be better off with the Forssell solid state pre.

AB3, the timing of your recommendation is uncanny; Fred shipped my first SMP-2 yesterday.

Pres I use must work well for live acoustic, i.e. a room mic. It's OK if they have a subtle sound of their own.

I like clean pres, using DACS MicAmps and Grace. Jim Williams' High Speed also looks good. I also use 7 channels of LaChapell tube pre and, though they aren't "transparent," the sound is big and sweet without giving up details - a really nice nostalgic vibe!

P.S. I bought a Pacifica hoping to find a solid-state with a vintage filmscore console sound for strings. It's apparently a great tool for studio trackers, but the thick layer of hard glass it puts over upper mids alters the sound of the instruments too much for my customers to tolerate.

The MA5, from reading, looks like it's worth a try. I really like the 28K switch idea. Gimee air!

rr1073 9th February 2008 08:35 PM

I have a pair. So far I have used them for Vocals (jingle work), Ac. Gtr, E Gtr, voice-overs and ISDN ADR sessions for national TV shows. They have excelled in all these applications. The first session I did with them was vocals on original music for a corporate video. I had recorded this singer many times before and was amazed at how good these pre's made him sound. I was totally blown away the first time I used them. (U87 - Avedis MA5 - Avedis E27 - Summit TLA100 - PT HD)
I absolutey recommend them. They seem to be very well built - switches seem good. I have had no issues with them whatsoever. I'm looking forward to a long relationship....

Aearth 10th February 2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick (Post 1826249)
diddlydoo

I don't know if the MA5 will suite you for this source either, maybe the Purple Biz or the API 512c.

nIC

bobwarren 10th February 2008 01:40 AM

My apologies, Warren, I got confused. I literally spoke with the two of you in a matter of minutes apart! Thanks for the great info and tech talk. Look forward to the GR MP500NV. AND, eventually, the EM Blue!!!

AB3 10th February 2008 02:30 AM

You will love the Forssell. It killed my Millenia for classical. The Forssell also has just the right amount of sweetness and richness. Also great for bluegrass and plain old acoustic music. There are many good pres for this purpose. But the Forssell will make you smile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick (Post 1826410)
AB3, the timing of your recommendation is uncanny; Fred shipped my first SMP-2 yesterday.

Pres I use have to work well for live acoustic, i.e. a room mic. It's OK if they have a subtle sound of their own.

I like clean pres, using DACS MicAmps and Grace. Jim Williams' High Speed also looks good. I also use 7 channels of LaChapell tube pre and, though they aren't "transparent," the sound is big and sweet without giving up details - a really nice nostalgic vibe!

P.S. I bought a Pacifica hoping to find a solid-state with a vintage filmscore console sound for strings. It's apparently a great tool for studio trackers, but the thick layer of hard glass it puts over upper mids alters the sound of the instruments too much for my customers to tolerate.

The MA5, from reading, looks like it's worth a try. I really like the 28K switch idea. Gimee air!

Greg Heimbecker 11th February 2008 06:44 PM

I'm awaiting a pair of MA-5, a pair of Germ 500s, a pair of the NV-500s(Great River) & a pair of the Chandler LTD-1s. It'll be interesting to suss out the familial likenesses and differences. Add the pairs of Avedis E-27, EM PEQ & API 560s on order and things should get very interesting...hooppie