Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Stripped Screw Help (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/163155-stripped-screw-help.html)

soupking 16th December 2007 12:36 AM

Stripped Screw Help

His GS,

I'm screwed. And even worse, stripped.

I've got a boutique racked pair of v72's racked in a Middle Atlantic ERK enclosure.

One of the screws is stripped, and the v72's are in need of repair either due to the amps or the racking. Either way, it's sad and frustrating because I can't figure any way to get them out without totally mangling the faceplate. I also have the same issue but with a Eventide D/SE. It works but I don't want to harm the face.

Has anybody run into this problem. The screw is not easy to get to and I'm really stuck.

I feel like my gear's being held hostage in my own studio. It's terrible.

Any advice is very very VERY appreciated.

Thanks,
-soupking

oceanblue 16th December 2007 12:48 AM

you can get an extraction kit at sears or any large hardware store, or drill it out but that can be sketchy. Good Luck!

bunnerabb 16th December 2007 12:49 AM

Get a drill bit the size of teh rack hole.

Hog that f*cker out.

Dispose of screws.

Pull gear, retap rack rail.

loudmusic25 16th December 2007 01:00 AM

This tends to be a problem when mounting rack gear with a 20hp drill with a bit driver.

Buy a stud extractor at the hardware store.

soupking 16th December 2007 01:06 AM

Awesome, guys. Thanks a bunch!

I've already been to Home Depot and Auto Zone looking for left-handed drill bits. My friend says that should work, but honestly I have little idea of what I'm doing and I don't want to make things worse.

thecount_x 16th December 2007 02:37 AM

Alden : GRABIT®

dbbubba 16th December 2007 02:38 AM

Are the head of the screws exposed at all?
Is is just striped to the point that a philips screwdriver won't bite?

Here's what I have had to do on many of the screws on my ol' MCI 538C...

Use a Dremel Tool.
Use one of the cutting discs.

Cut a slot across the face of the offending screw.
A regular screwdriver will then work, but you have to do the job delicately and make sure that you don't saw into the front face of the racked piece.

If you still can't get the screw to turn then just cut the head off.
After you remove the racked piece you can drill out the rest of the screw without tearing up the faceplate of the gear.

clonewar 16th December 2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecount_x (Post 1698347)

+ 1

soupking 16th December 2007 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbbubba (Post 1698351)
Are the head of the screws exposed at all?
Is is just striped to the point that a philips screwdriver won't bite?

Here's what I have had to do on many of the screws on my ol' MCI 538C...

Use a Dremel Tool.
Use one of the cutting discs.

Cut a slot across the face of the offending screw.
A regular screwdriver will then work, but you have to do the job delicately and make sure that you don't saw into the front face of the racked piece.

If you still can't get the screw to turn then just cut the head off.
After you remove the racked piece you can drill out the rest of the screw without tearing up the faceplate of the gear.

Yeah, that's kind of the last resort. The screws are really flat so it'd be really tricky not to damage the gear.

Thanks dbubba, it looks like I'm going to Sears next to buy a grab-it. That thing looks like a saving grace.

dbbubba 16th December 2007 04:00 AM

You can always drill the head off.
I have done that a lot over the years.

We have a bunch of SBK molded racks for our live equipment and those idiotic things have those awfull screw and nut sets.
I have had to rip those off so many times in the past!

Good luck!

yoink 16th December 2007 05:22 AM

I've used the Grabit too (once) for rack gear. I had to re-wire an XLR output and stripped two screws because they were in too tightly. The bit worked perfectly. Pulled the screws out without damaging the gear.

Be sure to have a vacuum handy to suck up the fillings though, you don't want those little nasties getting through any ventilation holes in the equipment.

And breathe a little. I don't know about you folks, but I freaked at first when I first stripped the screws on a prized piece of equipment. I often make the most mistakes when I panic and subsequently rush/force things.

soupking 16th December 2007 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoink (Post 1698561)
I've used the Grabit too (once) for rack gear. I had to re-wire an XLR output and stripped two screws because they were in too tightly. The bit worked perfectly. Pulled the screws out without damaging the gear.

Be sure to have a vacuum handy to suck up the fillings though, you don't want those little nasties getting through any ventilation holes in the equipment.

And breathe a little. I don't know about you folks, but I freaked at first when I first stripped the screws on a prized piece of equipment. I often make the most mistakes when I panic and subsequently rush/force things.

word.