Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/)
-   -   I want to make "New Jack Swing" beats, what do I need? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/151554-i-want-make-quot-new-jack-swing-quot-beats-what-do-i-need.html)

Lando Calrissian 19th October 2007 02:31 AM

I want to make "New Jack Swing" beats, what do I need?

I wanna make New Jack Swing style beats. What do I need to start? I have no clue what type of drum machines and modules they used back then.

paultools 19th October 2007 02:35 AM

MPC 60
Yamaha TX81-Z
Roland D-50
Akai S 1000 sampler
Teddy

mike dean 19th October 2007 03:15 AM

just set your swing to 75

or just 16th trips. and it will swing like teddy.

Lehkz 19th October 2007 03:25 AM

I always thought that if someone could come up with a new innovative way to incorporate that sound with today's vocal composition,or just make it sound new, that it would be ****ing hot..

I might attempt this again.

earwolf 19th October 2007 03:51 AM

a frontal lobotomy

justyntime 19th October 2007 03:56 AM

a 1985 delorean and extra plutonium

superjc 19th October 2007 04:20 AM

New Jack Swing will be back, just under another name. Right now it's all about 100% quantized beats for commercial rap/rnb, it's just a matter of time before the trends swing back. Swing, straight, or in between...

bell bottoms came back after all....

littledoodler 19th October 2007 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earwolf (Post 1571850)
a frontal lobotomy

best post of the day!

paultools 19th October 2007 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike dean (Post 1571782)
or just 16th trips. and it will swing like teddy.

not

boing

digiman 19th October 2007 06:37 AM

A high top fade, purple polyester blend suit with a broach on your shirt AND a pair of them policeman shoes they used to kick along with it.

threesixty 19th October 2007 12:08 PM

It's already back... you can hear it in Britney's Gimme, and Justins Sexy Back. All basically new jack swing chord progressions and grooves.

assemblyworker 19th October 2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digiman (Post 1572093)
A high top fade, purple polyester blend suit with a broach on your shirt AND a pair of them policeman shoes they used to kick along with it.

Beat me to it.

Rotterdam 19th October 2007 01:34 PM

cut up james brown's funky drummer
and for the bass, use the dx100's solid bass
now you got a new jack swing track for 50%

Edge 19th October 2007 02:58 PM

The Korg M1 keyboard was king when New Jack Swing was hot, also they used alot of Loops and hip hop stabs the tempos were like 110 bpm with a swing

HoPMiX 19th October 2007 03:24 PM

Osunlade

Charlie-O 19th October 2007 03:46 PM

Teddy Riley. sorry couldn't help myself.hidz

Joemamma 19th October 2007 04:30 PM

What are some good New Jack records to check out?

smoke 19th October 2007 04:33 PM

"gROOOOVE me, bay BAH, toooo Nite"

... is that New jack Swing?
jkthtyrt

Methlab 19th October 2007 04:37 PM

Oh man, I loved this music when I was a kid. I think it's great. Good records, well Troop was awesome, damn, I have cassette tapes of all **** somewhere buried at my house. Troop was one of my all time favorites though, they had killer songs.

There was one group that had a single with a chorus "I've got that feeling...something's going on" . I forget the name, but that song was classic New Jack.

Remember how the bridge was always a rap? haha, i miss that ****.

smoke 19th October 2007 04:41 PM

I can only remember Guy! Troop was New jack?

Actually I'm still not sure what qualifies as New Jack Swing? The beat, or the instruments... structure?

Methlab 19th October 2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke (Post 1572811)
I can only remember Guy! Troop was New jack?

Actually I'm still not sure what qualifies as New Jack Swing? The beat, or the instruments... structure?

Troop had some New Jack style songs. The way you can tell is it sounded like they would use a groove template from Funky Drummer or something and the beat was just faster then hip hop. It just had a sound to it that was extremely danceable.

Especially if you had some skidz on...haha

smoke 19th October 2007 04:57 PM

skidz ahaha... even back then, I was not down with those. Now some Used Jeans or Major Damage...

90s was good for music/dance, but pretty bad for fashion.

Anyway, Teddy at the HH awards looked like he needs to stay behind the desk for now on. Looks good, but sounded mezed...

jkthtyrt

illynoise 19th October 2007 07:45 PM

Here's my list, I love New Jack!!

These are any/or status:

Hardware:
Yamaha RY20
Yamaha RX7
Yamaha DX keyboard
Korg M1
Roland D 50
Roland R8 (rack also)
Any old Yamaha PSR keyboard
TX81z
Roland JD990
Kawai Drum Machine with sync
Hohner Clavinet (Teddy used it on Guy album he said)

Software:
Korg Digital Collection (MUST HAVE!)
NI FM8 (with lately bass patch)
EFM8 (logic)
Logic Pro with Quantize set to 1/24

Then get Guy, Today, Keith Sweat, AlBSure, HeavyD, New Jack City Soundtrack, Kid and Play, anything Herbie Love Bug was doing in 89-90, and your good! kfhkh

Methlab 19th October 2007 09:23 PM

Nice..Today was the band I was trying to think of.

Definitley check those guys out.

paultools 20th October 2007 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illynoise (Post 1573237)
AlBSurekfhkh

Wonder what happened to Kyle West
was that maybe a pseudonym?

there was a song by a group called the Gyrlz...awesome groove on that one

illynoise 20th October 2007 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by paultools (Post 1573880)
Wonder what happened to Kyle West
was that maybe a pseudonym?

there was a song by a group called the Gyrlz...awesome groove on that one

Man, he was my favorite producer along with teddy and devante swing and Eddie F!!!!!

Here's a little tribute to that time, I did this in Cubase SX and the M1 Korg Digicollection and Stylus I think. A lil New Jack is it good to you kind of vibe! :

Dor 20th October 2007 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illynoise (Post 1574016)
Man, he was my favorite producer along with teddy and devante swing and Eddie F!!!!!

Here's a little tribute to that time, I did this in Cubase SX and the M1 Korg Digicollection and Stylus I think. A lil New Jack is it good to you kind of vibe! :

You need to get Bobby Brown on that track. heh

D

DanDolo 20th October 2007 03:46 AM

Quote:

hellz yeah that was awsome !!hittt killed it I got up from the computer and did a lil dance diddlydoo those where really different times huh? **** was was all about having fun and getting girls

hooppie

abit 20th October 2007 03:55 AM

Quote:

Yep!
heh

paultools 20th October 2007 04:53 AM

Quote:

Sounds good, but you need some gated rooms on the drums... kick and snare to be authentic