Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Ez Drummer style plugins (PT LE) (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/142523-ez-drummer-style-plugins-pt-le.html)

-Noodles- 1st September 2007 07:35 PM

Ez Drummer style plugins (PT LE)

Hey,..
Recently i've started to do a personal project which I really want to incorporate djembe style drums and gongs.. basically percussion in the widest sense.

Unfortunately I don't really know what I'm looking for in respect to midi libraries or sample libraries.

Any ideas folks?
Thanks!

PlatinumSamples 1st September 2007 07:48 PM

BFD has a Percussion pack - www.fxpansion.com

Rail

-Noodles- 1st September 2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples (Post 1472442)
BFD has a Percussion pack - FXpansion - Home

Rail

does that work with Ezdrummer, or will i require BFD?
thanks!

idylldon 1st September 2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Noodles- (Post 1472443)
does that work with Ezdrummer, or will i require BFD?
thanks!

You'll need BFD. From their website:

BFD Percussion is an audio expansion pack for BFD. As such, you need an up-to-date (v1.5.45 or later) installation of BFD in order to use it. This is a free download - simply create a user account and register your copy of BFD to access the download area.

A djembe should be a no-brainer add to any percussion pack no matter what they name it.

Cheers,
--
Don

-Noodles- 1st September 2007 08:16 PM

thanks, after clicking the link - read my own answer..
should've guessed!

I had an experience with the free BFD that comes with PT, and it didn't really *do* anything for me.. but i may look into this.
Seems like it's got what I'll need,..

Anything else I should be looking at?
Thanks!

Charlie_M 1st September 2007 08:38 PM

Have you looked for those kinds of instruments at the reason site? (Propellerhead Software)

I have a hard time with drums also. Finally I upgraded to the full version of reason and have added the drum kits refill and am finally reasonably happy with my drum sound. It's about $500 by the time you get Reason plus the drum kits refill. Also if you want to use the nn-xt kits that come in the refill, you'll need a good amount of memory. My little laptop only came with 1 gig and that wasn't quite enough to run PTLE and reason (with an nn-xt kit) simultaneously.

Another source that I've tried and liked was bandmates.com. Their stuff is available in rex, acid, and one other format I can't remember.

OafyC 1st September 2007 08:45 PM

Toontrack has a Latin Percussion expansion for EZ drummer.

-Noodles- 1st September 2007 08:56 PM

Latin percussion doesn't seem to have what i'm looking for - it's not really a "latin" type of feel that I'm needing, it's more of a large gong and stranger instruments than traditional latin percussion.

I've had a look at refills (thanks btw! didn't think of a reason expan!) and I'll look more indepth at what's on offer there.

Surely there's got to be something similar to BFD percussion??..!!

Thanks everyone.

2012 1st September 2007 11:06 PM

Check out the Twisted Kit on the EZX page...

Geert van den Berg 1st September 2007 11:14 PM

I don't have any Latin Percussion sounds recommendatiosns but if you'd like a Ezdrummer style interface you can download the free EzPlayer from Toontrack, you can route this to any drum plugin and have a similar workflow as with EzDrummer. (though it can sound a little static if the midi loops are exactly on the grid, it doesn't have the same humanizer type feature of EzDrummer, but you can defeat this by using some sort of Groove quantizing).

-Noodles- 2nd September 2007 01:39 PM

thanks everyone :)

I'll have a look around on the net today and report any new findings!

Stiff 2nd September 2007 02:32 PM

I have Twisted Kit but haven't had the chance to try it much yet... But you should check it out, might be what you're looking for.

-Noodles- 3rd September 2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiff (Post 1473371)
I have Twisted Kit but haven't had the chance to try it much yet... But you should check it out, might be what you're looking for.

Thanks, just thought the EZ kits seemed pretty limited in what you got for the money..

But, i'll re-look at them..

So far the BFD collection looks pretty awesome,.. and if i can get EZplayer to work with it as a "front end" to it - that'll make it pretty much what i'm after.

Thanks guys!

chrisso 4th September 2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Noodles- (Post 1474132)
Thanks, just thought the EZ kits seemed pretty limited in what you got for the money..

60 quid.

Seriously?

Herman Munster 4th September 2007 11:50 PM

Djembes are pretty inexpensive. Why not go for the real deal? I just recorded one on a project and the real thing sounds killerthumbsup.

-Noodles- 6th September 2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herman Munster (Post 1477408)
Djembes are pretty inexpensive. Why not go for the real deal? I just recorded one on a project and the real thing sounds killerthumbsup.

It's really just for ease of use, and it's really out of laziness just now that i don't buy one!
Thanks for the suggestion though, I would if I had a track ready and I knew what I was going to put on it, unfortunately, it's easier for me to write on the fly - and with all instruments in one program... Or at least on the computer!.. makes life for me, and my writing, a bit quicker and unhindered.

Good suggestion though :)

-Noodles- 6th September 2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisso (Post 1476251)
60 quid.

Seriously?

Yes.

Seriously.

Oh, and it's £50.

-Noodles- 6th September 2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg (Post 1472684)
I don't have any Latin Percussion sounds recommendatiosns but if you'd like a Ezdrummer style interface you can download the free EzPlayer from Toontrack, you can route this to any drum plugin and have a similar workflow as with EzDrummer. (though it can sound a little static if the midi loops are exactly on the grid, it doesn't have the same humanizer type feature of EzDrummer, but you can defeat this by using some sort of Groove quantizing).

Would something along the lines of Battery 3 be of use in Ezplayer?
A friend from work suggested it, along with the aforementioned Toontrack, and reason refills.
Thanks.