Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Mastering Forum (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/)
-   -   DDP-fileset to Exabyte (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/141441-ddp-fileset-exabyte.html)

sgtpetter 27th August 2007 10:21 AM

DDP-fileset to Exabyte

Hi.

I'm looking for an easy and reliable way to export a DDP-fileset to Exabyte. The DDP-fileset is on HDD.

Sugarnutz 27th August 2007 02:55 PM

I am not an expert, but I picked up an external Exabyte 8mm tape drive on Ebay for $25 bucks, worked great. I believe most programs that support DDP such as Sequoia have the ability to export direct to Exabyte, might have to reload the DDP file and do a new export. Hope this helps.

Alpha Bob 27th August 2007 03:36 PM

Is there a particular reason why it has to be Exabyte as it's also possible to export to Jaz, DVD etc. Also, if it's for replication, most plants accept ftp transfers.

Alpha Bob

Jerry Tubb 27th August 2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtpetter (Post 1461320)
I'm looking for an easy and reliable way to export a DDP-fileset to Exabyte. The DDP-fileset is on HDD.

I think most folks are burning DDP filesets to DVD-R these days, instead of Exabyte.

Most digital tape formats, much like floppy discs, & Jaz drives, have been rendered obsolete.

But maybe you've got a good reason to need Exabyte(?)

JT

Bob Olhsson 27th August 2007 05:00 PM

A brand new Exabyte was never something most of us considered very reliable. Likewise tape quality has been in steady decline for more than ten years.

I'd seriously look to using different media.

elpillo 27th August 2007 05:37 PM

When I got my Sequoia system I thought for a couple of seconds to get an Exabyte drive, but fortunately never did. I do all my DDP stuff on DVD's or via FTP. It always works...

sgtpetter 28th August 2007 08:15 AM

Thanks for good advice, but it has to Exabyte yes. This is for a particular plant not supporting DDP-filesets on other media than...exabytemezed

finetuner 28th August 2007 04:38 PM

Bear in mind that most (all?) Exabyte drives are SCSI, so you'd have to have such a port on your computer as well.

If it's just for one master, you may consider a transfer at another studio that still has an exabyte in good shape. A unit from the used market (like all mechanical equipment actually) is not something i would rely on for my masters.

OTOH, if your system allows for a re-read / self check you may give it a shot..

good luck,
Peter

sgtpetter 28th August 2007 08:15 PM

I do have an internal SCSI exabyte drive that I've used for a while now. Going directly to it from a pmi-file in Discwrite is fine. Opening old DDP-filesets however doesn't seem to work... Anyone know how to do this? Doesn't have to be in Pyramix, other solutions are welcome.

finetuner 28th August 2007 10:15 PM

Sonic's SoundBlade has DDP import as a seperate option which makes me think it's not so common on most applications.

You said it doesn't have to be on Pyramix, but besides P. i only know of the other dedicated ones like Sadie and older Sonics to support the option.

Hopefully i'm wrong... anyone ?

I did a quick search on GS and found this thread (no hard conclusions though so FWIW):
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/maste...hlight=exabyte

Peter

Brad Blackwood 28th August 2007 10:29 PM

Sequoia can import DDP files as well.

Frankly, if Exabyte was my only DDP option I'd simply cut it as an audio disc...

zenmastering 29th August 2007 01:51 AM

Hi there,

Please send me the file set (but not he '.DAT' file) - I'd like to find out why it isn't opening in DiscWrite. I've opened old DDPs in DiscWrite before, so perhaps it's an old Sadie-generated DDP where there was a 'zero-padding' issue.

Best,

Graemme

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtpetter (Post 1464472)
I do have an internal SCSI exabyte drive that I've used for a while now. Going directly to it from a pmi-file in Discwrite is fine. Opening old DDP-filesets however doesn't seem to work... Anyone know how to do this? Doesn't have to be in Pyramix, other solutions are welcome.

finetuner 29th August 2007 09:00 AM

BTW
DDP file sets come in different versions depending if the PQ code is written before or after the audio data... Maybe that has something to do with it?

Peter