Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   To gearslutz including Bruce (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/140370-gearslutz-including-bruce.html)

spektor 21st August 2007 12:00 PM

To gearslutz including Bruce

I have about 4 grand i can spend I am thinking what is the most i can get and i mean benefit from.

My gear is

Studio projects c1 mic
Great river preamp
RnC compressor
Mackie hr824
Aurora Lynx 16
Spl mixdream
Dangerous st controller

I love my mackies but my freind tells me to get Events p8
I kinda wanted to get a Neve 33609 compressor to glue the mix together.

But i heard vintage designs came out with CL1 MK2 that is supposed to be great.
mercanry said maby to try Pendulum Audio ES-8

I kinda fell that the software version made the image a little 2d but i loved the 33609 sound on the uad card.

Also maby thought of the wunder cm7 gt instead with the m7 capsule.
i used to have a um57 gefell loved the sound and stupid me sold it.

What will i benefit from more thx.

MeSoHornplayer 21st August 2007 12:26 PM

Is it possible for you to try some of this stuff before you buy? Always the best advice, although I realize it's not possible for everyone to do.
kfhkh

spektor 21st August 2007 06:54 PM

YOu know it is hard plus i have to put the money up for it.

Ethan Winer 21st August 2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spektor (Post 1449629)
I have about 4 grand i can spend I am thinking what is the most i can get and i mean benefit from.

Your gear looks fine to me. Is your room treated? If not, that's the very best bang for the buck, and what you surely need most.

--Ethan

syra 21st August 2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spektor (Post 1449629)

Indeed I do think that is a question for Bruce...

Grizzly 21st August 2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syra (Post 1450515)
Indeed I do think that is a question for Bruce...

hehhehheh

RCM - Ronan 21st August 2007 11:34 PM

I would rather pair that awesome great river mic pre up with a kick ass mic(s) and record it into an old 16 bit ADAT and a mackie mixer than a fancy summing box and cheapo mic.

I am a hardcore analog console guy but I would much rather have great mics and mix in the box than "not so good" mics and a good console or summing box. Its all about the front end!

melodic_disaster 21st August 2007 11:54 PM

wow, Aurora Spl and Dangerous whilst using studio projects and 824's. looks like there's a little cart before the horse.

mike speakers and room hands down.

i can only assume you are doing a lot of mixing with that back end, in which case monitors first. before outboard. events are crap imho. i would STRONGLY suggest demoing several pairs, doing a bunch of mixes and see how they translate. you will probabaly be surprised how different your mixes will sound. you will find a pair and have an "aha" moment like the film just came off your ears.

go with what works - find your favorite mixers and see what they use (and not what they endorse). here's a rule of thumb i use - if you purchase something that is in a lot of glossy magazines you should think very hard and get definitive evidence that it is any good. there seems to be an inverse relation there. those products are guilty before proven innocent for me.

if you are doing a lot of vox the mic and comp make sense, but you have to be pretty good to get great mixes out of the 824's.

spektor 22nd August 2007 01:15 AM

mackies i do like there sound and everything i mix sounds the same on everything else. was thinking of a wunder cm7 gt with m7 capsule. or a vintage design CL1 MK2. For my mix bus.