Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   Which room should I use? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1325405-room-should-i-use.html)

orbita 14th September 2020 04:31 PM

Which room should I use?

Hi, I currently have my studio setup in a room that is above our bedrooms and next to the neighbours so my wife freaks out if I have the speakers on in the evening.

I make Techno and Drum and bass so there is usually a kick drum and a heavy bass. Because of this I work with headphones a lot but find it hard to mix or hear if the vibe is right.

There are 2 other rooms I could try to use that are on the side away from the neighbours (we're in a 1930's semi), I'm trying to work out which room I should use.

option 1) A smaller room, also in the loft but not above bedrooms or beside the neighbours. It is 9M2 @ 4m x 2.25m ( 13' x 7'4") with 2.3m ceiling. This room is completely unfinished so I would have the opportunity to install sound protection, possibly a floating floor/wall/ceiling etc and any acoustic material I wanted.

option 2) A bedroom on the first floor, again away from the neighbours but adjoining my 7 year old's bedroom. It is a bit bigger 12M2 @ 4.4 x 3.2 at the widest, narrowing to 2.9 - with a higher ceiling ~ 2.5m and it has a bit of an alcove in it. This room has a nice wood floor already that I wouldnt want to mess with. I could install soundproofing to my son's bedroom and use a sound deadening mat on the floor to reduce transfer downstairs or through the rafters. I could also add acoustic panels/traps to this room.

In both rooms, I could have the speakers firing down the length but I it would mean having my back to the door which I never like so I'd prefer to have them fire across the width.

Every advice I've read so far says avoid small rooms. Given my bigger room option is about 1/3 bigger bigger than the smaller room how much difference acoustically would it make given I have more freedom to modify the smaller room.

I will probably get new monitors to suit the room. I've never been all that satisfied with the HR824 I've got.

I don't need it to be really loud, just enough so I can hear the full spectrum and the groove well. I'm not overly worried about 3d stereo field since it's primarily club music.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Starlight 14th September 2020 07:38 PM

I would look for option 3, a room on the ground floor. That way you will have a much easier job of isolating the room and making your wife much happier. That way you both win.

orbita 15th September 2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starlight (Post 14972667)
I would look for option 3, a room on the ground floor. That way you will have a much easier job of isolating the room and making your wife much happier. That way you both win.

hah yeah - unfortunately downstairs is only open plan living/kitchen and toilet/utility room.

Starlight 15th September 2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orbita (Post 14972325)
option 1) ... have the opportunity to install sound protection, possibly a floating floor/wall/ceiling etc ...

option 2) ... has a nice wood floor already that I wouldnt want to mess with. I could install soundproofing to my son's bedroom and use a sound deadening mat on the floor to reduce transfer downstairs or through the rafters ...

... primarily club music.

As you cannot find space on the ground floor, installing a floating floor, if indeed your structural engineer says the building can cope with the weight, will add significantly to the cost. Depending on where in the world you are (hint: add it to your profile) there may be other conditions you have to meet, eg. local noise codes, eathquake zone considerations, etc.

Putting down a sound deadening mat will not reduce the transfer of bass to downstairs. Your wife will hear you. You could set your music running upstairs and go downstairs to measure how many dB are audible, especially lower frequencies.

Isolation is going to be the tough one. Once that is done (ie. planned in detail) you can plan the acoustic treatment in the room which will be relatively easy.

And yes, you are right, usually a larger room is preferable to a smaller room. As we have no specific details a specific answer is not possible.

orbita 15th September 2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starlight (Post 14974332)
As you cannot find space on the ground floor, installing a floating floor, if indeed your structural engineer says the building can cope with the weight, will add significantly to the cost. Depending on where in the world you are (hint: add it to your profile) there may be other conditions you have to meet, eg. local noise codes, eathquake zone considerations, etc.

Putting down a sound deadening mat will not reduce the transfer of bass to downstairs.

Assuming it was an issue, does it help to prevent transfer through rafters etc on the same floor? I think its called Flanking noise?

The mat that I came across was Tecsound floor 100. If it doesn't help reduce sound transfer, what's it for? Does it just damping the sound in the room?

Quote:

Your wife will hear you. You could set your music running upstairs and go downstairs to measure how many dB are audible, especially lower frequencies.

Isolation is going to be the tough one. Once that is done (ie. planned in detail) you can plan the acoustic treatment in the room which will be relatively easy.
Yes, I'm going to try some measurements and see which room is currently better isolated and what the transfer rate seems to be.

Quote:

And yes, you are right, usually a larger room is preferable to a smaller room. As we have no specific details a specific answer is not possible.
I provided room measurements, what other details would be useful?

Thanks