Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   All Things Technical (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/)
-   -   Can I record an XLR shotgun mic into my cellphone? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/1325339-can-i-record-xlr-shotgun-mic-into-my-cellphone.html)

dirtROBOT 14th September 2020 01:06 AM

Can I record an XLR shotgun mic into my cellphone?
 
I have a samsung s20 with a usb-c (no headphone jack *sob*) and was wondering if there was a kind of preamp xlr-usb interface thing so I didn't have to buy a zoom/tascam handheld thing.

Newmann 14th September 2020 10:47 AM

Couple of options, like this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
But you'll have to get the USB-B to USB-C cable yourself, its from before the 'C'-era..

chris661 17th September 2020 01:51 PM

You can use the standard USBC-A adapter that comes with most smartphones, and then connect a standard USB audio interface.

My LG G7 works fine with a Behringer UMC202HD. Phantom power meters the proper +48VDC, suggesting adequate power supply. Powers a pair of Beyer MC930s just fine.

Bonus: use a USB hub with power delivery, and you can keep your phone charged in use with an external charger or battery pack.

Chris

dirtROBOT 17th September 2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris661 (Post 14978702)
You can use the standard USBC-A adapter that comes with most smartphones, and then connect a standard USB audio interface.

My LG G7 works fine with a Behringer UMC202HD. Phantom power meters the proper +48VDC, suggesting adequate power supply. Powers a pair of Beyer MC930s just fine.

Bonus: use a USB hub with power delivery, and you can keep your phone charged in use with an external charger or battery pack.

Chris

wait, is this behringer interface plugged into the wall?

chris661 18th September 2020 09:08 AM

No. I tested it just plugged into my phone. Phone, USB C to A adapter, USB A to B cable (the usual one that comes with an interface), UMC202HD.


I was also pointing out that if you used a USB hub with power delivery, you could use an external power source (battery or mains charger) to keep the phone topped up and power the USB interface.

Chris

TVPostSound 18th September 2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtROBOT (Post 14971226)
I have a samsung s20 with a usb-c (no headphone jack *sob*) and was wondering if there was a kind of preamp xlr-usb interface thing so I didn't have to buy a zoom/tascam handheld thing.

https://reverb.com/item/35578057-cen...crosd-recorder

dirtROBOT 18th September 2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris661 (Post 14981074)
No. I tested it just plugged into my phone. Phone, USB C to A adapter, USB A to B cable (the usual one that comes with an interface), UMC202HD.


I was also pointing out that if you used a USB hub with power delivery, you could use an external power source (battery or mains charger) to keep the phone topped up and power the USB interface.

Chris

very clever, gonna dig into this a bit more thanks!