Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   New Products - Coming soon (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/)
-   -   Toontrack announces SDX/EZX by Eddie Kramer and EZbass expansion (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/1323417-toontrack-announces-sdx-ezx-eddie-kramer-ezbass-expansion.html)

The Press Desk 27th August 2020 04:14 PM

Toontrack announces SDX/EZX by Eddie Kramer and EZbass expansion

1 Attachment(s)

Toontrack announces SDX/EZX by Eddie Kramer and EZbass expansion

Today, Toontrack announced new drum expansions for Superior Drummer 3 and EZdrummer 2 recorded by legendary engineer/producer Eddie Kramer (Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones and much more) as well as the first-ever expansion for the company’s recent software release EZbass.

The new products are all slated for September and will be released as follows:

Legacy of Rock SDX (Sept. 8)
Classic Rock EBX (Sept. 15)
Classic Rock EZX (Sept. 22)

Upon release of each product, audio demos, videos and comprehensive information will be available. For drum enthusiasts that can’t wait, find a few short audio examples of the SDX at the below page:

https://www.toontrack.com/the-sound-of-classic-rock/

SameOh 27th August 2020 06:36 PM

Cool.

EzBass needs a better P-Bass and a Jazz Bass. And more control, please. The stock ones relies too much on presets. In this regard, Modo Bass is far better.

tombuur 27th August 2020 08:44 PM

Looking forward to this. To me it looks like a P-bass which is just what I need. But more control, please. Give us a small mixer, using the same EQ, compressors etc as within SD3. Just add a handful of bass amp IR. There are several in EZmix to use here.

skythemusic 3rd September 2020 11:10 AM

Looking forward to checking this one out.

skythemusic 3rd September 2020 11:10 AM

Really interested in this one.

David Carlyon 22nd November 2020 12:10 AM

How is everyone finding this? Personally i found the engine of SSD to sound more natural, but i really like the look of this pack in particular.

sumskilz 25th November 2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Carlyon (Post 15122502)
How is everyone finding this? Personally i found the engine of SSD to sound more natural, but i really like the look of this pack in particular.

I've got nothing negative to say about SD3 that wouldn't apply to all virtual drums. If you want more natural, enable bleed on all the close mics, export the tracks, and then mix them exactly how you would real drums. As far as the Eddie Kramer SDX, it's great, one of Toontrack's best. The SD3 stock library is kind of dull (as is anyway) in that they appear to have gone for a real blank slate approach with it.

David Carlyon 25th November 2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumskilz (Post 15130662)
I've got nothing negative to say about SD3 that wouldn't apply to all virtual drums. If you want more natural, enable bleed on all the close mics, export the tracks, and then mix them exactly how you would real drums. As far as the Eddie Kramer SDX, it's great, one of Toontrack's best. The SD3 stock library is kind of dull (as is anyway) in that they appear to have gone for a real blank slate approach with it.

I actually really like the sound of the stock library. It seems that massenburg (great engineer) just went for a really well recorded kit, as opposed to hyper produced.
Thats the one thing that gets anoying pretty fast with the slate stuff. It sounds impressive at first, but the thing is all the processing paints you into a corner.
I prefer a well recorded, blank slate kind of approach.

Seriously thinking about getting into SD3. Love EZ Bass.

From what i can hear, the main difference with the SSD engine is some kind of differential hit algorithm....when you do a 16th note snare fill on SSD, you don't get the machine gun effect. No idea how they did it, but it is really awesome and makes it sound really natural.

sumskilz 25th November 2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Carlyon (Post 15131358)
I actually really like the sound of the stock library. It seems that massenburg (great engineer) just went for a really well recorded kit, as opposed to hyper produced.

And that makes sense for the stock library. I could have said "neutral" rather than "dull". To my ear for example, the stock library has no audible preamp saturation (in contrast to the SDXs I have), but what that means in practice is that you can add some subtle saturation and make it sound like it was recorded on whatever you want.

As you no doubt heard, the Legacy of Rock SDX has a lot more of "a sound", which it should since that what you're paying for. Although it's still pretty flexible because it has so many different mic options.

Not sure how it compares to what you describe in SSD, but I have noticed that tape sims with just a slight bit of wow and flutter make SD3 sound more natural. I assume that's because of them being like an extra layer of randomization.

David Carlyon 25th November 2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumskilz (Post 15131482)
And that makes sense for the stock library. I could have said "neutral" rather than "dull". To my ear for example, the stock library has no audible preamp saturation (in contrast to the SDXs I have), but what that means in practice is that you can add some subtle saturation and make it sound like it was recorded on whatever you want.

As you no doubt heard, the Legacy of Rock SDX has a lot more of "a sound", which it should since that what you're paying for. Although it's still pretty flexible because it has so many different mic options.

Not sure how it compares to what you describe in SSD, but I have noticed that tape sims with just a slight bit of wow and flutter make SD3 sound more natural. I assume that's because of them being like an extra layer of randomization.

Yeah, thats one thing that is great with SD3 - lots of great expansions. Noticed the indie one is currently on sale - surprised how much i like the sound of that one.

Will prob pick it up some time after black friday. I am also looking at Modo drum too. Unfortunately i used up my demo without actually trying the thing but it seems very flexible...though it needs a bit of work to make it sound convincing.
A number of good options out there atm