Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Studio Building / Acoustics (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/)
-   -   Odd shaped room -Any advice is welcome (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1322916-odd-shaped-room-any-advice-welcome.html)

nikosefs 23rd August 2020 01:51 PM

Odd shaped room -Any advice is welcome

5 Attachment(s)
hey all this is my first post,hope you treat me well:)

So this is the room i currently have my setup and you will notice 3
problems,perhaps 4 if you account for the dimensions,280 cm width,360 cm length,240 cm height:

1st problem and i think the biggest one is the stair on my back wall

2nd problem is the corner on the front wall left side

and 3rd problem the peak at around 150 hz

The panels are 60cm x 120 cm,5 cm deep open back with another 3 cm air gap behind them,the materials used are a combination of polypropylene fiber panel (34kg/m3)
and recycled soundproofing foam (90kg/m3)

The 1st measurement was with the speakers around 5-10 cm farther from the front wall
and the second with them as close to the front wall as i could get them.

Now,i do plan on getting more soundproofing but that is a bit later,
what i would like to ask for now is about my setup placement,should i move
to the long wall on my right but having that stair on my front right corner
or should i stick to where i am now

twinned 23rd August 2020 06:21 PM

For a room with that many anomalies, I think your best bet is to turn to Room EQ Wizard (REW), and try different orientations. You probably have a measuring mic from your Sonarworks package - if not the umik-1 is a great option.

If possible, pull the couch and desk out of the room and try to find the best position against each viable wall, taking separate measurements for each monitor to ensure you have stereo symmetry. I would guess that the righthand and bottom walls are the top contenders. You can follow these guidelines to narrow down the positions to try:
- monitor acoustical axis @ ~48” height
- 30-35 deg ideal, 45 deg max monitor angle
- monitor NOT directly in line with room corner
- listener at 33-43 % room length
- monitors aimed at point 12”-18” behind listener

There are some good tips here for finding the best placement. You can use the RTA mode in REW instead of the other software he mentions. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass...ml#post8058783

nikosefs 23rd August 2020 08:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
hello twinned and thanks for the fast reply,perhaps i should add some more pics to show you all 4 walls,unfortunately the bottom wall is a no go because of a door there,i was already thinking of moving to the right wall but i have concerns
of the stair moving to my front right side

from your suggestions,the monitor's tweeter is at 120 cm height already,around 60 degree angle,
they have 90 cm distance from the side walls (except if you count the left small corner)and 1 meter of distance
between them,my listening position is around 38% from front wall

nikosefs 1st September 2020 10:32 PM

bump

as im about to order the material for making basstraps, i would really appreciate any other suggestions

twinned 9th September 2020 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikosefs (Post 14946706)
bump

as im about to order the material for making basstraps, i would really appreciate any other suggestions

Sorry I'm late getting back to ya. Judging by your photos, I would think that the stairwell would be less of a concern than the alcove you're currently in, but you can only know for certain by measuring.

I would strongly suggest picking up a measuring mic and some stands (or better yet build them). You can make respectable improvements by setting up your monitoring/listening position properly. If you have a measurement setup you can, for instance, find out if that issue at 150 Hz is a room mode, Speaker Boundary Interferance (SBIR), or another issue. Much better than shooting in the dark. If SBIR is an issue - usually is - the smartest spot for your monitors is normally 4" from the front wall with a 4" OC703 or equivalent panel filling the gap.

Reason I suggested building stands is that you can actually build good quality stands on the cheap. Think plywood column filled with sand. Mass is important for a speaker stand, and getting your monitors off your desk brings all kinds of benefits: desk does not resonate, flexible positioning etc..

Also, a loudspeaker's acoustical axis is usually the halfway point between the center of the woofer and the tweeter.

nikosefs 16th September 2020 11:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by twinned (Post 14961237)
Sorry I'm late getting back to ya. Judging by your photos, I would think that the stairwell would be less of a concern than the alcove you're currently in, but you can only know for certain by measuring.

I would strongly suggest picking up a measuring mic and some stands (or better yet build them). You can make respectable improvements by setting up your monitoring/listening position properly. If you have a measurement setup you can, for instance, find out if that issue at 150 Hz is a room mode, Speaker Boundary Interferance (SBIR), or another issue. Much better than shooting in the dark. If SBIR is an issue - usually is - the smartest spot for your monitors is normally 4" from the front wall with a 4" OC703 or equivalent panel filling the gap.

Reason I suggested building stands is that you can actually build good quality stands on the cheap. Think plywood column filled with sand. Mass is important for a speaker stand, and getting your monitors off your desk brings all kinds of benefits: desk does not resonate, flexible positioning etc..

Also, a loudspeaker's acoustical axis is usually the halfway point between the center of the woofer and the tweeter.

well i tried the right wall position,everything became worse so i switched back.

I downloaded REW but i have not been able to make a measurement yet as i need to set it up but i checked out room sim and found some interesting things,it appears that at my problem frequency i have a axial length,axial height and tangential width/height,all 3 are almost on top of each other.Now by playing around a bit i understand that by improving my treatment
il get a lot of better results,so from the 15m roll i had for the bass traps i kept 6m that i added to my front wall,side wall and ceiling panels,the rest i used for making the triangles for the corners.
Added a room sim pic and also managed to find the full specs for the materials im using for the panels and traps

nikosefs 26th September 2020 06:43 PM

bump