Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/)
-   -   Mastering Chain Drill/Trap Music? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/1322537-mastering-chain-drill-trap-music.html)

Hazzakbeats 20th August 2020 02:19 AM

Mastering Chain Drill/Trap Music?
 
Hey, Was just wondering what your mastering chain looks like on a trap or drill instrumental. Would like to know what LUFS you guys are kicking out and anything i could be missing out on my mastering process thank you

CJ Mastering 21st August 2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzakbeats (Post 14924546)
Hey, Was just wondering what your mastering chain looks like on a trap or drill instrumental. Would like to know what LUFS you guys are kicking out and anything i could be missing out on my mastering process thank you

The mastering chain for any genre, including trap would be what ever is needed to make the song sound its best on all sound systems.

The mastering chain is not genre dependent, you just use what ever is needed for that specific song. In the past 26 years, i never used a certain mastering chain for different genres, it doesn't work like that.


This is how you determine what is needed for your song in the mastering stage:
1.) You first listen to the entire song in a tuned environment
2.) Then you determine what is needed for that specific mix to make it sound its best on every sound system it is played on.
It may need an EQ, compressor and limiter or it may need an EQ, compressor, mid and side EQ and Limiter or it may need an EQ and limiter or just some mid and side EQ and limiter or another 100,000,000 combinations.

As far as LUFS, -11 to -9 LUFS is a good place to be at. Some like it at -8 LUFS, It all depends on how much dynamics you want to keep and its also a balancing act between loudness and keeping the dynamics intact

Hazzakbeats 22nd August 2020 05:53 PM

Thank you for your swift reply. Could you tell me more about mid side EQ in mastering as its a blind spot of mine and i don't fully understand exactly when and where to use it. I also use a lot of multiband comp throughout mix stage and in mastering (normally to tame low end and high end) is this a good thing to do?

Thanks
Hazza

CJ Mastering 23rd August 2020 02:37 AM

Quote:

Could you tell me more about mid side EQ in mastering as its a blind spot of mine and i don't fully understand exactly when and where to use it
Its used when you only want to edit the mid channel without effecting the side channles or the editing the side channles without effecting the mid channles.
Quote:

. I also use a lot of multiband comp throughout mix stage and in mastering (normally to tame low end and high end) is this a good thing to do?
My take on multiband comps is , if you have to use it, its best to go back to the mix and fix it, so there is no need for the mutli-band comp. I have not used a multiband compressor in over 15 years, But like i said, htis is me and to each their own.

Tchelmo 26th August 2020 01:38 PM

Thank you very much for creating such a topical issue.
It was useful for me too.

jlgrimes11 28th August 2020 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzakbeats (Post 14928784)
Thank you for your swift reply. Could you tell me more about mid side EQ in mastering as its a blind spot of mine and i don't fully understand exactly when and where to use it. I also use a lot of multiband comp throughout mix stage and in mastering (normally to tame low end and high end) is this a good thing to do?

Thanks
Hazza


You can do alot of cool stuff with mid side EQ such as turn up highs only on side channels.

It can be used as a more surgical/transparent way to add width to tracks.

It is also a more surgical tool as it allows the engineer to work with two track master and make adjustments without affecting mono instruments in the center such as vocals as a Mastering Engineer usually have less options than a mixing engineer to affect a song.

Mastering is all about baby steps and making good calculated decisions that enhances, corrects or deemphasize without affecting integrity of mix.

Surgical EQ, multiband compressors, limiters are common tools about the same tools for any genre.

Where mixing enginners are more likely to use more coloring tools.

That said judicious use of saturation can help in some cases but usually applied in a more subtle manner.