Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Geekslutz Forum (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/)
-   -   rca jack splitter/combiner (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/1321435-rca-jack-splitter-combiner.html)

audio6 10th August 2020 01:42 AM

rca jack splitter/combiner

if you are old school like me you will appreciate this low tech solution to a typical circumstance , how to share audio and video between 2 computers and 1 tv including an A/V selector to share the tv. there is such a thing called a "cock box", sorry for the name it is not mine. this a a box with multiple rca jacks marked in and out in stereo pairs. what I cannot find out is if all left and all right jacks are wired in parallel but no connection between left and right.

so I made my own consisting of 16 jacks for left and 16 jacks for right no connection between them. this means that each half is both an input and output simultaneously. nothing more than multiple "Y" splitters connected together without the resulting mess! 1 pc to tv adapter for each desktop to send to the 4 port selector, and 1 stereo from each desktop to send to the same selector, then out to the tv.

back to the splitter box. the desktop audio from/to desktop is connected to the box. 3 outputs then go to the A/V selector, a headphone amp, and a speaker amp, all simultaneously. strictly passive. a speaker selector with all switches closed would perform the same function. the 4 port switch uses an interlock switch, only one button can be pushed at a time. not what I need. a non interlock switch would work but I did not need switches. this mentioned to give you an idea of what I am after. happy building!

Cabirio 10th August 2020 08:58 AM

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking... I would assume that yes, any splitter / switch box including a number of stereo pairs of audio RCA connectors would have the lefts independent from the rights, can't think of any reason to do otherwise. Note also that if such box is fully passive, you may be loading outputs more than they like, e.g. your desktop output connected simultaneously to three inputs is seeing an impedance which is the parallel of all three, so e.g. 3.33k if each is 10k, a typical value. Some outputs will generate a higher THD as the opamp used is required to deliver more current than what it's spec'd for, while some will easily drive this and even lower without significant distortion, so, it depends. There's also the issue of outputs with a relatively high impedance that will form a voltage divider with the load and you will lose some signal level, e.g. a 1k output impedance (not very common but not unheard of) driving those 3.33k will suffer a loss of ~2.3 dB. If such setup isn't used for any critical listening, you don't hear any obvious distortion and signal levels are fine, it may be a perfectly serviceable solution; if it is and / or you do and / or they aren't, it may be worth investigating the specific drive capabilities of each output and considering active buffers where the load may be too heavy.