Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Steinberg announces SpectraLayers 7 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1320772-steinberg-announces-spectralayers-7-a.html)

The Press Desk 3rd August 2020 01:55 PM

Steinberg announces SpectraLayers 7
 
1 Attachment(s)
Steinberg announces SpectraLayers 7

The seventh version of Steinberg’s SpectraLayers focuses on enhancing its powerful tool set by adding automatic processes through new Artificial Intelligence algorithms.

HAMBURG, Germany — Steinberg today announced the immediate availability of SpectraLayers Pro 7 and SpectraLayers Elements 7, the audio editing software for music production, post-production, sound design, mastering and restoration.

SpectraLayers offers a novel approach to precise audio editing by visualizing audio in the spectral domain (in 2D and 3D) and providing an array of powerful tools to manipulate its spectral data in many different ways.

New in Version 7 is the implementation of Artificial Intelligence that allows for the introduction of exciting new features, including automatic pattern detection, clip repair, unmixing tracks to stems as well as unmixing stems to component parts. Other new automated processes include click repair, hum removal and precision spectral de-essing. These features are rounded out by an array of useful enhancements, such as the improved ARA 2 integration with Cubase and Nuendo, VST 3 plug-in support and much more.

The new Artificial Intelligence in SpectraLayers Pro recognizes distinct events and isolates them by moving them to independent layers that are highlighted for further processing. The AI-assisted unmixing capability in SpectraLayers Pro scans a mixed song and extracts the different instruments within the song to separate layers, adding default settings for vocals, piano, bass, drums and more, while SpectraLayers Elements extracts vocals only. Unmix can also be used on stems, separating these into tone, noise and transient component layers. With its AI technology, SpectraLayers has now also made significant advances in pattern recognition: users can select a target sound and then trigger a search to automatically locate and select every other similar sound in the spectrum.

Great vocal processing tools exclusively available in Pro include the Voice Denoiser that recognizes and isolates the human voice for emphasizing the voice, or the new automatic de-essing for shaping sibilants.
The new AI-driven repair processes consist of Clip Repair for detecting and fixing clipped peaks (available in Pro only), Hum Reduction for eliminating unwanted hum and Click repair for repairing clicks, crackles and pops.

The enhanced Transform tool can preserve formants for more natural-sounding pitch transpositions, and the new Transform Selection tool is another one of many new tools introduced in SpectraLayers 7. It adds corner and midpoint handles that can be dragged to fine-tune selection boundaries, such as adjusting the bandwidth selections made with the Frequency Selection tool.

The upgraded Healing tool is now also assisted by AI, resulting in better interpolation and faster performance. The Playback tool now lets users select a specific frequency bandwidth that can then be auditioned anywhere on the spectral graph.

Availability and pricing

Full-license retail versions of SpectraLayers Pro 7 and SpectraLayers Elements 7 are available from resellers and through the Steinberg Online Shop. The suggested retail price for SpectraLayers Pro 7 is 299 euros. The suggested retail price for SpectraLayers Elements 7 is 79.99 euros. All prices include German VAT.

Various downloadable updates and upgrades are exclusively available through the Steinberg Online Shop.

Customers who have activated SpectraLayers Pro 6 and SpectraLayers Elements 6 since July 6, 2020, are eligible for a free, downloadable Grace Period update to the latest respective version.

Further additions to SpectraLayers 7 include improved ARA 2 layer management by configuring the layer view as well as VST 3 plug-in processing support for even more plug-in power. UI luminosity is now configurable to provide the brightness that best suits the workplace environment. Many other small useful additions include a playback VU meter, new cut/copy/paste options and more.

Marketing Manager Luis Dongo commented: “SpectraLayers is opening a new, significant chapter with this version. With its AI-powered tools and processes, such as its unmix capabilities that you really have to see for yourself to believe it, both the Pro and the Elements editions of SpectraLayers 7 take audio editing to a completely new level.”

For more information, visit: Product page: www.steinberg.net/spectralayers

screentan 4th August 2020 02:32 AM

Is this much different to Izotope RX?

sirthought 4th August 2020 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screentan (Post 14895643)
Is this much different to Izotope RX?

you'd have to A/B them to find out. same category obviously

Neptune45 4th August 2020 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screentan (Post 14895643)
Is this much different to Izotope RX?

I think it is mainly if you use Cubase 10 or later (since ARA2 integration) as you can use this like that within Cubase which has far superior workflow. There is no Izotope RX ARA2 integration for Cubase users.

sirthought 4th August 2020 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14895735)
I think it is mainly if you use Cubase 10 or later (since ARA2 integration) as you can use this like that within Cubase which has far superior workflow. There is no Izotope RX ARA2 integration for Cubase users.

I don't use Cubase currently, so I don't know if there is, but I can use Rx7 directly in Logic via either selection-based processing or whole-channel insert. I don't believe this has anything to do with ARA to get it to work, because I did it before Logic announce ARA compliance.

Samir 4th August 2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14895735)
I think it is mainly if you use Cubase 10 or later (since ARA2 integration) as you can use this like that within Cubase which has far superior workflow. There is no Izotope RX ARA2 integration for Cubase users.

Big miss on iZtope's side. ARA integration should be their next top priority, tbh. It is so easy and so much faster to use such tools via ARA(especially in Studio One), that people could(and probably will) consider SL as a better option. And I'm a bit surprised that SL got ARA standart before RX. You would think izotope should be on top of things in this case(as they established and ads RX as an "industry standard"), but Steinberg not only added most of the missed(comparing to RX) features, they, with ARA implementation, also made it very easy to use. Finally RX got a real competitor.

Neptune45 4th August 2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samir (Post 14896337)
Big miss on iZtope's side. ARA integration should be their next top priority, tbh. It is so easy and so much faster to use such tools via ARA(especially in Studio One), that people could(and probably will) consider SL as a better option. And I'm a bit surprised that SL got ARA standart before RX. You would think izotope should be on top of things in this case(as they established and ads RX as an "industry standard"), but Steinberg not only added most of the missed(comparing to RX) features, they, with ARA implementation, also made it very easy to use. Finally RX got a real competitor.

Yeah, I have Izotope RX7 Standard and am seriously thinking about going and getting SL7 now as I am a Cubase 10.5 Pro user and the ARA2 integration really appeals to me since I now have it for Melodyne Studio and ReVoice Pro. Just need Antares to come on board as well.

mattiasnyc 4th August 2020 08:22 PM

RX 7 advanced and this seem pretty different still though. Not saying there isn't overlap, but for what RX attempts to do it's really very advanced compared to Spectralayers.

WallTone 4th August 2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiasnyc (Post 14896934)
RX 7 advanced and this seem pretty different still though. Not saying there isn't overlap, but for what RX attempts to do it's really very advanced compared to Spectralayers.

I am in the market for such tool. Could you clarify in what areas RX is very advanced compared SL7 Pro?

mattiasnyc 4th August 2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallTone (Post 14896987)
I am in the market for such tool. Could you clarify in what areas RX is very advanced compared SL7 Pro?

From what I can tell iZotope's approach of having a bunch of modules actually offer some pretty nice advantages in that you can quickly grab a dedicated tool (module) for a specific task. So if you need to declick speech there's a module for that, and it's slightly different from the regular declick module. Same with a voice-denoise module versus regular denoise, a voice-deverb versus regular deverb, and so on.

That doesn't mean that you can only get those results using those dedicated tools, but for people like me who need to basically sometimes 'sprint' through production (dialog) audio in a TV show I'm doing all by myself those tools give me enough quality quickly enough that they're worth the money.

Some of the modules also function as plugins. So for things like the voice denoise function I can choose to roundtrip a clip into the RX7 editor and do it there or I can instantiate a plugin on a channel. So some audio I treat completely in RX and other audio gets run through plugins, some both.

Having said that:

I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting Spectralayers sooner or later because of the integration as well as other advantages (staying away from iZotope's questionable programming for VST being one). For a lot of us money was already spent on RX Advanced so the upgrade path is very appealing there, but Steinberg does offer a good price and good integration and I'd much rather spend my mother on that company instead.

Anyway - I do think there's a difference worth investigating before buying either.

gregh 5th August 2020 09:38 AM

does anyone know if this version - or even v6 - are at all reliable? I had v4 and it was so buggy as to be unusable. But the feature set - if it actually works - looks very attractive

orange 5th August 2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregh (Post 14897835)
does anyone know if this version - or even v6 - are at all reliable? I had v4 and it was so buggy as to be unusable. But the feature set - if it actually works - looks very attractive

currently v7 is very buggy - lot's of broken features - fixes are promised soon.

gregh 5th August 2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 14897878)
currently v7 is very buggy - lot's of broken features - fixes are promised soon.

bummer - I just cant trust a company that releases buggy software - I bought V4 and it was unusable so it seems they still have not got their ethics in the right place.

orange 5th August 2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregh (Post 14897880)
bummer - I just cant trust a company that releases buggy software - I bought V4 and it was unusable so it seems they still have not got their ethics in the right place.

V6 didn't get many fixes either so never quite stable enough to rely on.

Obviously under pressure to release v7 even though it's not actually finished !

The unmix stems feature is quite good though - a bit of a gimmick but shows what's possible.

blackcom 5th August 2020 05:00 PM

Freakin love ARA2.

After Samplitude X5 came out i can run Vocalign as ARA2. Its like if Aliens landed and changed our physical laws for the better.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Samir (Post 14896337)
Big miss on iZtope's side. ARA integration should be their next top priority, tbh. It is so easy and so much faster to use such tools via ARA(especially in Studio One), that people could(and probably will) consider SL as a better option. And I'm a bit surprised that SL got ARA standart before RX. You would think izotope should be on top of things in this case(as they established and ads RX as an "industry standard"), but Steinberg not only added most of the missed(comparing to RX) features, they, with ARA implementation, also made it very easy to use. Finally RX got a real competitor.


blackcom 5th August 2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregh (Post 14897880)
bummer - I just cant trust a company that releases buggy software - I bought V4 and it was unusable so it seems they still have not got their ethics in the right place.

This is because in bigger companies the developers never get to decide themselves when a software is released, the stockholders do.

Give it 3-6 months before investing in a new version unless its a smaller indie developer. Make this a rule of thumb to save yourself from grief. Its the same thing with videogames.

Try to identify a company by the devs instead of the "leadership/morons", better energy.

Neptune45 5th August 2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcom (Post 14898481)
This is because in bigger companies the developers never get to decide themselves when a software is released, the stockholders do.

Give it 3-6 months before investing in a new version unless its a smaller indie developer. Make this a rule of thumb to save yourself from grief. Its the same thing with videogames.

Try to identify a company by the devs instead of the "leadership/morons", better energy.

So true. Can always see the evidence here on the GS forums. The smaller developers who still own all their businesses get things sorted quickly for their consumer base.

Edit: Does anyone know if there is a demo available? I am thinking of trying it out. If there isn't a demo then it would have to be to purchase Elements version and if like that Upgrade at some point...

Cheers.

01010110 6th August 2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 14897878)
currently v7 is very buggy - lot's of broken features - fixes are promised soon.

Since it is made by Steinberg no one really should expect the first versions to actually work.

steveGS 7th August 2020 12:05 AM

Anyone find information about a trial? No trail, no purchase. No sense throwing money away.../s~

Neptune45 7th August 2020 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveGS (Post 14901121)
Anyone find information about a trial? No trail, no purchase. No sense throwing money away.../s~

This is what I have been asking as well. Can't see an option anywhere...

orange 7th August 2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14901176)
This is what I have been asking as well. Can't see an option anywhere...

trial will be available in the next few weeks apparently

denoise 7th August 2020 08:38 AM

I'm waiting them to publish more information about the Voice Denoiser and to hear if it can compete with RX 7 Dialogue Isolate

orange 7th August 2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denoise (Post 14901590)
I'm waiting them to publish more information about the Voice Denoiser and to hear if it can compete with RX 7 Dialogue Isolate

I have both - and it doesn't (YMMV)

Neptune45 7th August 2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 14901500)
trial will be available in the next few weeks apparently

Thanks.

denoise 7th August 2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 14901613)
I have both - and it doesn't (YMMV)

ok, I just bought Spectralayers Pro 7 and RX7 is much better for dialogue isolation. Anyway, still a good tool for sound design

temnov 7th August 2020 04:52 PM

You could use RX in Cubase ARA like - highlight a track, send it to RX within Cubase, edit and apply changes - without leaving Cubase.

kwonky 8th August 2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 14901500)
trial will be available in the next few weeks apparently

Great. Looking forward to trying this.

divide 10th August 2020 10:24 AM

Hi there - I'm Robin Lobel, creator of SpectraLayers. We're aware of the many issues at launch, and the patch coming this wednesday will fix all the issues that have been reported so far.

Neptune45 10th August 2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divide (Post 14906438)
Hi there - I'm Robin Lobel, creator of SpectraLayers. We're aware of the many issues at launch, and the patch coming this wednesday will fix all the issues that have been reported so far.

Hi, Could you tell us whether there will be a demo available soon?

Thanks.

divide 10th August 2020 04:43 PM

Unfortunately I don't know more than you about this.