Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Post Production Forum (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-production-forum/)
-   -   Voice in the character's head treatments (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-production-forum/1319419-voice-characters-head-treatments.html)

Led 22nd July 2020 08:32 AM

Voice in the character's head treatments

I'm spitballing stuff with the director and he's talking about the reverb/echo thing that's been done to death. It's a dark toned film, not comedic..
I've got a few things I've been messing around with but any thought's from the wealth of talent on here.. I really want to steer him away from the same old thing. Thanks for any input.
Cheers

kosmokrator 22nd July 2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led (Post 14871702)
I'm spitballing stuff with the director and he's talking about the reverb/echo thing that's been done to death. It's a dark toned film, not comedic..
I've got a few things I've been messing around with but any thought's from the wealth of talent on here.. I really want to steer him away from the same old thing. Thanks for any input.
Cheers

If it's in surround and/or immersive I think exactly the opposite could be great. Absolutely no reflections (like recorded in an aneochic room) and decorrelated coming out of all speakers so you hear it from all directions at the same time.

Led 22nd July 2020 11:59 AM

We haven't really discussed deliverables yet, it's an indie longish short, but I was going to suggest a 5.1 at least as extra to an L/R, so yeah I like the idea. The whole thing is set in a bathroom (well 2 bathrooms really), so the total deadness would work against the roomed dialog.

Cheers.

Andrew Mottl 22nd July 2020 12:02 PM

Anything in the story/character/setting that could inspire ideas?
Reversing the reverb of an impulse response of some prop in the film? (maybe something that sounds super tight, going for a sound Kosmo suggested)?

Led 22nd July 2020 12:18 PM

It's a pretty weird vibe. The main character is pretty manic, spends the whole film in his underwear crawling around the floor listening through it to the girl in the apartment below who he's obsessed with. Hears a voice admonishing him here and there that he believes is coming from a cockroach that scuttles around his bathroom. Your usual weekend type stuff really..
I think something that sits away from the room sound of the bathroom will be the way to go. Still has to be intelligible I'm assuming.

standup 22nd July 2020 02:08 PM

What about recording the dialog super-close with a ribbon mic, in a dead room so there’s no room sound, it sounds super-close and detailed, but also dark and very large.

Mundox 23rd July 2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standup (Post 14872108)
What about recording the dialog super-close with a ribbon mic, in a dead room so there’s no room sound, it sounds super-close and detailed, but also dark and very large.

And whispered..

Andrew Mottl 23rd July 2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundox (Post 14873963)
And whispered..

...or doubling the quietly spoken recording with a whispered one.
(or severaly whispered ones and pan them around the listener)

FlorianE 23rd July 2020 11:12 PM

Maybe the solution should not be technical or delivery only. Inner monologue would be less 'grammatical' than spoken dialogue. More like in a dream?

Led 24th July 2020 01:36 AM

Thanks for all the ideas, we are booked to record the voice tomorrow, so I think a large part of it will hang on the delivery from the actor, so we'll see what happens.
Great to be able to mull it over with others during isolation.
Thanks again.
Cheers

Led 25th July 2020 09:00 AM

So we did the ADR today and while I'm not sure it's the direction I would have chosen, one bonus is we did it on the Fairlight section of Davinci Resolve, and I have to say for a free program (they have the studio version, but I have the free at home it's the same for ADR) it was outstanding. On screen cueing, streamers and text, multi layered tracks (same as playlists basically) and the director created a spreadsheet then saved as a CSV file and it imported to Resolve and created all the ADR cues. Far out. If you can't afford edicue, it's a great option.
Just thought it was worth a mention. I'd hate to mix on it though, but gun to my head I reckon it would be ok.