Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Aberrant DSP "ShapeShifter" (Character compressor) (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1318145-aberrant-dsp-quot-shapeshifter-quot-character-compressor.html)

aberrantdsp 10th July 2020 04:11 PM

Aberrant DSP "ShapeShifter" (Character compressor)

https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/shapeshifter/

Inspired by SketchCassette’s NR Comp algorithm, ShapeShifter is a one-of-a-kind dynamics remodeler and character compressor that will completely transform the shape of your sounds. ShapeShifter molds a blend of multi-band upward and downward compression into a toolbox for adding color, body, and grit to your sounds. This can take the form of anything from a subtle vibe boost to blown-open, raucous carnage.

This plugin can operate in such a wide range of ways due to its melding of full-range upward and downward compression with finely tweakable controls. This means individual control over everything from the quietest to the loudest parts of your signal.

ShapeShifter includes the following features:
  • Upward / Downward compression controlled with a common Ratio
  • Transients section with Ratio and Threshold controls, allowing for separate control of downward compression
  • Upward compression Floor control for taming room sound or unwanted noise
  • Flexible envelope shaping through Attack and Release time controls
  • Tone adjustment for broad shifts in color and character
  • A wide-ranging Drive control with two models: A (gentle) and B (hard)
  • Asymmetry control for attaining harsher, grittier drive textures by way of even-order harmonics
  • Dry / Wet mixer for easy parallel processing
  • Custom preset system with 64 factory presets, showcasing ShapeShifter’s versatility

Check it out here!

VarikusBrainz 10th July 2020 04:17 PM

Excellent, I was using Sketch yesterday and was wishing for that compression without the age tape degradation artifacts :D
It slams

mustgroove 10th July 2020 04:22 PM

That GUI is lovely!

V4nger 10th July 2020 05:04 PM

Sounds so nice!

Loving the look of the plugin too.

Probably gonna buy this one on the merit of the demo alone.

$20?

Cheers!

maxy 10th July 2020 05:04 PM

The demo sounds like this will be a fun and inspiring plugin!

ChocolateHawkins 10th July 2020 05:05 PM

Now THAT is GUI. Brilliant.

ErezW 10th July 2020 05:26 PM

Fantastic Demo!

bobtheninja 10th July 2020 05:27 PM

Looking forward to playing with this. Instant buy. The piano sound in that demo - so beautiful!

jimmydeluxe 10th July 2020 05:38 PM

Great video–forgot I had sketch...will buy from demo alone

PierreJoseff 10th July 2020 06:17 PM

I got mine, like Sketch it's a lovely plugin, very intelligent thinking,

in terms of interface there's been a nice progress since sketch, it's really well done ! i can't wait to see the next update of Sketch !

Thank's for the hard works and the cool price !

bethstate 10th July 2020 07:47 PM

Oh, you did it again… I bought it within minutes of hearing it
Sounds great and another cute interface. I think you two and your cat are gonna keep winning me over with ease. Keep up the great work!

Gee 10th July 2020 08:14 PM

I'm in!

Endor 10th July 2020 08:53 PM

Very interesting and refreshing approach to compression.

TonStrom 10th July 2020 09:13 PM

nice! your other plugin sounds great, too

gtoba 10th July 2020 09:38 PM

After Sketch, this is also a winner!

Picadilly 10th July 2020 09:41 PM

Bought without demoing it

noiseresearch 10th July 2020 11:22 PM

Okay. The demovideo sounds really good and interesting. I love creative dynamic tools. Unfortunately there is no demo. I know it cost $20 but I'm a student and even that would somewhat hurt if I don't use it in the end. Are there a demo coming? Or sales? :)

Dope GUI btw

musicalnyc 10th July 2020 11:33 PM

I love SketchCassette and of course just purchased Shape Shifter. You guys rock! Keep it up!

aberrantdsp 10th July 2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseresearch (Post 14850648)
Okay. The demovideo sounds really good and interesting. I love creative dynamic tools. Unfortunately there is no demo. I know it cost $20 but I'm a student and even that would somewhat hurt if I don't use it in the end. Are there a demo coming? Or sales? :)

Dope GUI btw

Hey there! No definitive plans for a demo at the moment, but we'll likely be putting ShapeShifter on sale around Black Friday. Thanks for the interest!

ChocolateHawkins 11th July 2020 01:59 PM

Bought last night! Played with it for about half an hour and absolutely love it. Please keep up the unique plugins. I own both of yours now and will continue to buy anything you put out

GusGranite 11th July 2020 03:08 PM

This reminds me of Bram Bos’ recent WOOTT app on iOS (which is a brilliant app inspired by the classic OTT).

Will check it out.

noiseresearch 11th July 2020 03:37 PM

Some question those who already bought it: How bug is the GUI? Is it resizeable? And more important what is the CPU hit? I can't get this compressor out of my head :) but I want to be sure about my purchase. Thanks in advance.

Edit: @ deve loper: How about a bundle option? SketchCassette and Shape shifter for 30$?

aberrantdsp 11th July 2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseresearch (Post 14851545)
Some question those who already bought it: How bug is the GUI? Is it resizeable? And more important what is the CPU hit? I can't get this compressor out of my head :) but I want to be sure about my purchase. Thanks in advance.

Edit: @ deve loper: How about a bundle option? SketchCassette and Shape shifter for 30$?

Hey there! The GUI is 575 by 680 and supports high-DPI and Retina display scaling just fine. It's not resizable yet (making it so would be a little tricky with the way GUI works), but if people end up wanting that we'd be happy to add it in an update!

CPU usage in our testing usually hovered around ~0.8% on standard settings, occasionally peaking around ~1.2% when stereo linking is disabled and dipping down to ~0.4% when the compressor section is bypassed. This all depends on your hardware, but even on my 2015 Windows laptop with a middle-of-the-road i5, I never really saw CPU usage above 1.4%.

Regarding a bundle: it's something we've considered! We're thinking we might wait till we have more plugins out till we start bundling then, but it's definitely a fun idea!

Raddler 11th July 2020 04:39 PM

Can someone who bought it comment on the saturation quality? The drums and piano in the demo video sound wonderful, but any well recorded live source can make most saturation plugins sound amazing. Hard to bite without testing it on my own material.

ChocolateHawkins 11th July 2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusGranite (Post 14851510)
This reminds me of Bram Bos’ recent WOOTT app on iOS (which is a brilliant app inspired by the classic OTT).

Will check it out.

Yes!! OTT is one of my faves for what it does. What I love about this new plugin is it can get that extreme but can also be very mellow and just beautifully subtle while still utilizing the cool features it has like the saturation. For $20 no one should hesitate.

bgrotto 11th July 2020 06:50 PM

Having issues paying both via PayPal and by card. Anyone else experiencing this, or have a hot tip about something I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: kudos to Aberrant for the impossibly fast email reply. Damn, these guys are good.

GroovnD313 11th July 2020 07:05 PM

bought without even a demo, its so good!

GroovnD313 11th July 2020 07:07 PM

and the GUI is just lovely

motomotomoto 12th July 2020 12:57 AM

I keep seeing OTT mentioned. How does this one sound in comparison?

PierreJoseff 12th July 2020 05:01 PM

the saturation is top quality and it's light on cpu