Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   TC Electronic Announce DYN 3000 & PEQ 3000 plug-ins and USB Controllers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1317888-tc-electronic-announce-dyn-3000-amp-peq-3000-plug-ins-usb-controllers.html)

The Press Desk 8th July 2020 02:46 PM

TC Electronic Announce DYN 3000 & PEQ 3000 plug-ins and USB Controllers

2 Attachment(s)

TC Electronic Announce Midas Heritage Series DYN 3000 & PEQ 3000 plug-ins and Optional USB-Powered Desktop Controllers

Designed and engineered in Denmark in collaboration with Midas, TC Electronic’s PEQ 3000 and DYN 3000 plug-ins are the ultimate EQ and Dynamics combo, combining modern plug-in features with the accurate tone and feel of a Midas console channel strip. PEQ 3000 and DYN 3000 are essential additions to any mixing, mastering, or post-production setup and support all modern plugin standards. The optional USB-powered desktop controllers bring groundbreaking control and tactile feedback to the Software workflow.

PEQ 3000 NATIVE

With 12-bands of fully parametric EQ and a rich selection of filter shapes, PEQ 3000 offers all the key features of a modern equalizer and then some. More importantly, the PEQ 3000 retains the smooth, warm sonic performance that Midas EQs are renowned for, and sounds nearly indistinguishable from the equalization circuits on the Midas Heritage 3000 console.

Designed to give all the flexibility that a modern digital audio workstation requires, PEQ-3000 can operate in mono, stereo, Midi/Side and Left/Right configurations and also features Phase shifting options for bringing out more of the original instruments sound and energy in a multi-microphone setup. With a truly unique high-resolution, constant-Q real-time analyzer, you can watch the exact impact of the EQ on your audio spectrum as you hear it, from sub-bass to treble. PEQ 3000 is perfect for use on individual tracks, group busses, or master tracks.

DYN 3000 NATIVE

DYN 3000 has all of the power, tone, and feel of the dynamics processors from the legendary Midas XL8 or PRO series consoles with all of the versatility of a modern plug-in. With 4 classic and content-dedicated compressor types and 3 flexible gate types, DYN 3000 is excellent for use on individual tracks, group busses, or master tracks.

It also has Midas’ proprietary “presence” control, which is perfect for adding some subtle air to compressed signals. In addition to this, DYN 3000 comes equipped with built in upward, parallel, and sidechain compression. It has several musical sidechain filter options, audition-function and vivid real-time displays to make dialing in the perfect setting faster and easier than ever before. Due to the informative Static Gain Response and Scrolling History you will have constant overview - even when your DAW workstation is focused on another part of the mix.

DYN 3000 DT/ PEQ 3000 DT OPTIONAL HARDWARE CONTROLLERS

For immediate feedback and parameter control, the optional USB-powered hardware controllers give users another level of inspiration and immediacy. The controllers look and feel like the dynamics and equalization sections on a real Midas console, with HD color displays and real “analog-feel” Midas potentiometers. The displays show all the parameters from the plug-ins, so users can view and tweak their settings without even opening the plug-in window on their computer due to the built-in Plug-in Instance Selector. On-the-fly mix adjustments are now as simple as touching a physical control, and the hardware controllers for the PEQ 3000 and DYN 3000 give users a true Midas console experience in software form.

DYN 3000 and PEQ 3000 also include a wealth of custom-built signature presets developed by world-class producers and engineers as well as complementary settings tailored by TC Electronic’s engineering team.

DYN 3000 and PEQ 3000 are compatible with all major DAW’s (Standard VST, Audio Units, and AAX-Native plug-in processing on Mac and Windows PC) and deliver full support for standard DAW automation and project recall.

With DYN 3000 and PEQ 3000 you will have a greater control of your dynamics and mixes, right at the tip of your fingers!

Digital Crush 8th July 2020 02:58 PM

This got to be the coolest looking usb controller yet

e.Blue 8th July 2020 03:52 PM

Assuming they are all the same size, it would be really nice if TC made some sort of desktop rack that could hold all of these different hardware controllers. One of the reasons I haven't bought into these plugins is because I don't want my desk littered with numerous toy-sized USB doo-dads.
I've seen them in reviewer's videos and they always look kind of out of place, especially in pro studios. A small rack that held maybe 6 or 8 of them in two rows, with a built-in hub would be really cool.

-e.B

NOT CONNECTED 8th July 2020 04:32 PM

theyre doing what waves missed with the ssl channel.....
ANY company missed with the ssl channel

Home Studio 87 8th July 2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOT CONNECTED (Post 14845847)
theyre doing what waves missed with the ssl channel.....
ANY company missed with the ssl channel

Except Softube with Console 1....:)

cyjanopan 8th July 2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e.Blue (Post 14845775)
Assuming they are all the same size, it would be really nice if TC made some sort of desktop rack that could hold all of these different hardware controllers. One of the reasons I haven't bought into these plugins is because I don't want my desk littered with numerous toy-sized USB doo-dads.
I've seen them in reviewer's videos and they always look kind of out of place, especially in pro studios. A small rack that held maybe 6 or 8 of them in two rows, with a built-in hub would be really cool.

-e.B

This thing would've been perfect in a 500 series rack

dirtROBOT 8th July 2020 09:37 PM

imagine if fabfilter did a proQ ver of those controllers, that'd save me so much mousing.

Progmatic-Studios 8th July 2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtROBOT (Post 14846432)
imagine if fabfilter did a proQ ver of those controllers, that'd save me so much mousing.

Agree. Unfortunately these rack controllers were not released:
https://youtu.be/SKtv99Cbs10

Matt Allison 8th July 2020 10:24 PM

The big question is whether or not this will work better with Pro Tools than Console 1 did; as in, if I click on the plug in the PT mix window, do I immediately have tactile control with the USB controller. Console One can't do that.

Sayt0n 9th July 2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Allison (Post 14846523)
The big question is whether or not this will work better with Pro Tools than Console 1 did; as in, if I click on the plug in the PT mix window, do I immediately have tactile control with the USB controller. Console One can't do that.

Yes you do. That’s exactly how the original 4 desktop controllers work. As soon as you click on the plugin and the window opens up, that’s what populates the controller and that’s what you have access to. Click on the same plugin on another track, and those settings populate and the controller now controls that plugin.

Matt Allison 9th July 2020 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 14846792)
Yes you do. That’s exactly how the original 4 desktop controllers work.

You have used the other TC controllers in a Pro Tools session?

Sayt0n 9th July 2020 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Allison (Post 14846940)
You have used the other TC controllers in a Pro Tools session?

Yes, ProTools Ultimate 2020.5. That’s what I’m using here and it’s working exactly as I described it. I can however only confirm it with the first 4 units as that is all I have personally used here. Hopefully the other controllers work the same(I don’t see why they would have changed this).

Matt Allison 9th July 2020 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 14846990)
Yes, ProTools Ultimate 2020.5. That’s what I’m using here and it’s working exactly as I described it. I can however only confirm it with the first 4 units as that is all I have personally used here. Hopefully the other controllers work the same(I don’t see why they would have changed this).

Excellent, thanks very much for the info! kfhkh

bgrotto 9th July 2020 04:58 AM

I'm demoing the plugs now (fyi - i'm an avid user of the 2290 and DVR250 plugs, with usb controllers...really love em).

I'm digging these a lot. The phase control alone on the eq might be enough to make it a purchase.

I quite like the RTA on the eq; it's nicely scaled and responsive in a way that 'feels' right. Sonically, the eq is good, though it seems there's some cramping in the high bands, which is a bummer. Other than that, it's a decent sounding digital eq that sounds about on-par with Pro Q (my usual go-to).

The GUI feels a bit like Neutron, though I'm finding it somehow easier to navigate. The color scheme is nice, and it's all very readable. It's also freely resizable, which is a huge boon.

I wish there was a simple polarity reverse; the all-pass phase (or 'phase eq', to use their nomenclature) adjustments are cool but simply activating them causes some pretty audible phase shift (not unlike the IBP, so no surprise there). It'd be great to have a basic flip button not just for regular utility work, but also for more easily dialing in tweakier phase eq settings.

The dynamics are really surprisingly good. I'm a weird gate junky, and this one is really dang good. The transient functionality is nice, in particular. However, there's no output trim so if you jack the transients up, you can easily end up with some gain staging problems.

The compressor is pretty comprehensive, and behaves as you'd expect a good digital comp to behave in 2020, though a nice bonus is the way the GUI allows for switching modes in a way that makes comparing easy. Another thing that's cool is it seems the gate's SC is unaffected by compressor settings, and vice versa. IOW, they both have their own SC paths so fiddling with one doesn't upset threshold settings on the other.

Anywho, those are my initial findings after 40 min or so of playing around. I'm digging it! If the controllers work well and are reasonably priced (particularly the eq controller), this is probably in my purchasing future.

DSK 9th July 2020 10:48 AM

Behringer is one of the few big players that eat up smaller companies and actually cross breed them together to bring some meaningful innovation.

2020 is such a surprise

TimPani 9th July 2020 01:03 PM

Mr XY 9th July 2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 14846792)
Yes you do. That’s exactly how the original 4 desktop controllers work. As soon as you click on the plugin and the window opens up, that’s what populates the controller and that’s what you have access to. Click on the same plugin on another track, and those settings populate and the controller now controls that plugin.

this seems like quite an achievement. I wish console-1 worked like that.

These tc controllers look great but I can't imagine it's very quick to operate with only 3 encoders, curious to try though.

bgrotto 9th July 2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr XY (Post 14848159)

These tc controllers look great but I can't imagine it's very quick to operate with only 3 encoders, curious to try though.

The eq controller looks good...I’m much less convinced by the dynamics one.

Matt Allison 9th July 2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr XY (Post 14848159)

I really do wonder how TC figured this out; perhaps the smaller number of knobs? But yes, too bad Console 1 doesn't work like this.

Melodeath 9th July 2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14847041)
I'm demoing the plugs now (fyi - i'm an avid user of the 2290 and DVR250 plugs, with usb controllers...really love em).

OT, but can you get DVR250 without the USB controller or is it required for the plugin to run?

bgrotto 9th July 2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melodeath (Post 14848229)
OT, but can you get DVR250 without the USB controller or is it required for the plugin to run?

Yes, you can. The plugin interfaces directly mirror the hardware, though, so they're not the most mouse-friendly GUIs. And, if you're not a tweaky type or a manual reader, skip the 2290...it's a deep processor that is not intuitive until you read the manual.

RyanC 10th July 2020 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14847041)
Anywho, those are my initial findings after 40 min or so of playing around. I'm digging it! If the controllers work well and are reasonably priced (particularly the eq controller), this is probably in my purchasing future.

Did you ever try Console 1? Curious on your thoughts between the two.

bgrotto 10th July 2020 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanC (Post 14849156)
Did you ever try Console 1? Curious on your thoughts between the two.

Nah I haven't tried Console 1. I'm not really much of a Soft Tube user so I never really dug into that eco system.

Rokatansky 30th July 2020 06:48 PM

Is there an alternative trial download site?
Tc Electronics demo ilok generator is not working since weeks...

Idontcare 30th July 2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokatansky (Post 14888106)
Is there an alternative trial download site?
Tc Electronics demo ilok generator is not working since weeks...

Yeah same.this Phase EQ has peaked my curiosity.wondering if its any different to EQuilibriums "free phase"mode

Just tried it in 4 different browsers and i get the same "timeout occurred"error in every one of them

solveforq 30th July 2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtROBOT (Post 14846432)

I don't think I could EQ faster with physical knobs than I do with an Expert Mouse and FF Pro-Q. With knobs, I've only got two hands so two parameters at a time, but with a trackball, I've got q, freq, and amplitude all on one hand. I'm sure there are speed advantages on a console, but for plugin control? I doubt it.

blayz2002 1st August 2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solveforq (Post 14888438)
I don't think I could EQ faster with physical knobs than I do with an Expert Mouse and FF Pro-Q. With knobs, I've only got two hands so two parameters at a time, but with a trackball, I've got q, freq, and amplitude all on one hand. I'm sure there are speed advantages on a console, but for plugin control? I doubt it.

You’re right, in my experience. But long hours of using a mouse daily can lead repetitive strain injuries. So anything that means you are regularly changing arm, hand and finger movements is better for your health in the long run.

Saying all that, Console 1 is brilliant. If used as intended it can absolutely speed up and improve your workflow.

RyanC 1st August 2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blayz2002 (Post 14890937)
You’re right, in my experience. But long hours of using a mouse daily can lead repetitive strain injuries. So anything that means you are regularly changing arm, hand and finger movements is better for your health in the long run.

Saying all that, Console 1 is brilliant. If used as intended it can absolutely speed up and improve your workflow.

+1

I use a mouse in one hand, trackpad in the other. This way you can hover with the mouse and two finger adjust parameters. And with Pro-Q or similar the mouse controls gain and freq, and the scroll on the pad contols q all at once.

But with that being said, I still prefer the Console-1. Especially in a daw that supports track follow. Not even having to open the plugin GUI is awesome. Just grab and go...and less mousing overall is always a good thing! I still use Pro-Q for the more surgical stuff though (and dynamic eq etc).

blayz2002 2nd August 2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanC (Post 14891541)
+1

I use a mouse in one hand, trackpad in the other. This way you can hover with the mouse and two finger adjust parameters. And with Pro-Q or similar the mouse controls gain and freq, and the scroll on the pad contols q all at once.

But with that being said, I still prefer the Console-1. Especially in a daw that supports track follow. Not even having to open the plugin GUI is awesome. Just grab and go...and less mousing overall is always a good thing! I still use Pro-Q for the more surgical stuff though (and dynamic eq etc).

For me personally, doing a whole mix with 30 plus tracks with a mouse is just horrible and time consuming.

Ps..... the new Weiss Gambit EQ is great for surgical stuff. Of course it can’t do dynamic though.

David Carlyon 2nd August 2020 09:58 PM

I am really excited by this. I was thinking about getting a console 1 but
A - already have PA consoles
B - consoles aren't always flexible enough now i am used to using SSL X-EQ and Equilibrium along with track comp.

Curious to see what the 'phase' control is....i love that about Equilibrium...i actually find it hard to work without that now.
I really think if they have nailed this - truly modern feature set with compact controllers featuring decent screens/readout - i am in.

At the same time as having an interest in console 1 (for mixdown stage) i have also been interested in the TC units. This might just tip me towards getting the whole range.
In reaper there is the 'latch preview' mode. Can't imagine how awesome and time saving it would be to use these devices in latch preview for sketching out a mix real quick. Add in a faderport and....voilla.

Seriously interested to see how much this ends up being.