Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Other DAWs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/other-daws/)
-   -   Audacity is clipping my vocals (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/other-daws/1317238-audacity-clipping-my-vocals.html)

DylanDude 3rd July 2020 03:02 AM

Audacity is clipping my vocals

1 Attachment(s)
Audacity is clipping all my recordings. Does anyone know why? This is very lame lol The audio waves are no where near getting near the top yet you can tell all the waves been chopped into a plateau. My audio interface gain is at half way

loujudson 3rd July 2020 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanDude (Post 14835904)
Audacity is clipping all my recordings. Does anyone know why? This is very lame lol The audio waves are no where near getting near the top yet you can tell all the waves been chopped into a plateau. My audio interface gain is at half way

Are you sure you aren't overloading somewhere else in the chain? Most likely operator error... Yu'll need to descibe the entire chain for a real answer.

DylanDude 3rd July 2020 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loujudson (Post 14835949)
Are you sure you aren't overloading somewhere else in the chain? Most likely operator error... Yu'll need to descibe the entire chain for a real answer.

I dont know what you mean haha I just got my AKG C414 XLII going to my SSL2+ interface and then to my computer, with audacity running

loujudson 3rd July 2020 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanDude (Post 14835962)
I dont know what you mean haha I just got my AKG C414 XLII going to my SSL2+ interface and then to my computer, with audacity running

Using any processing in the SSL? Check your gain structure.

I could say you need to BUY a DAW to get good results but that wouldn't be true.

DylanDude 3rd July 2020 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loujudson (Post 14835971)

I could say you need to BUY a DAW to get good results but that wouldn't be true.

Oh god, idk, the gain was just at half. Dang ill try to take a closer look at it. I just got all the equipment. My old USB AT2020 mic was distorting in audacity as well. It used to never distort so idk what happened

DylanDude 3rd July 2020 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loujudson (Post 14835971)

what would be the simplest DAW to get? All I want is to record raw .wav files, don't need any plug-ins, and then drag it into fl studio. Recording with fl studio seems to be a pain. I dont want to have my sound output coming from the audio interface because I cant stand hearing my voice in the headphones while recording and fl studio it seems thats the only way, plus it just seems complicated. Audacity is so easy I love it, it's just clipping sadly.

Btw when I did record the vocals using fl studio there was no clipping

RoadRanger 26th August 2020 04:21 PM

I notice that you don't have the mic volume at 100% - that will cause clipping with most interfaces. Turn it to 100% and turn the gain down on the interface.