Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/)
-   -   Got the gear (finally) and now asking for advice on correct set up (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1316979-got-gear-finally-now-asking-advice-correct-set-up.html)

theVodkaCircle 1st July 2020 05:07 AM

Got the gear (finally) and now asking for advice on correct set up

Hi all,

I've managed to get my gear together for some home recording and I wanted to ask for any advice (or links to sources so I can read up) on the correct way of hooking it all up and getting the settings right for an optimal experience. More in the software settings I think.

GEAR

Win 10 PC with 8 core CPU
Allen and Heath ZEDi-10FX interface
Novation Launchkey 49 USB keyboard
Acoustic guitars and bass
Mic
Reaper DAW
Ableton Live Lite 10

The software in general does my head in but I just need to keep plugging.

I have been using primarily Reaper but a friend who does audio stuff mostly just uses Ableton and I would like to use that as well for laying down drum tracks using multiple tapped out rhythms set out in a specific order.

Thank you!

CJ Mastering 2nd July 2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

I've managed to get my gear together for some home recording and I wanted to ask for any advice (or links to sources so I can read up) on the correct way of hooking it all up and getting the settings right for an optimal experience. More in the software settings I think.

GEAR

Novation LaunchKey 49 USB keyboard
Mic
Reaper DAW
Ableton Live Lite 10
Its pretty straight forward. But as far as settings, this has to be set at the time of recording. Just record in 24 bit and do not clip. Anything between -20 and -10dB PEAK is AWESOME!!

1. Download and install interface drivers in PC
2. Interface goes into PC. Then figure out what driver modes works bets for you. ASIO is a popular one and try buffer settings that work for you and your PC. The lower the buffer, the lower the latency, but the harder your PC works. Its a balancing act.
3. Mic and instruments go into the pre-amps of interface and you set levels according to its sound level. Do not clip!
4. The synth can be hooked up with its audio outs and MIDI outs, depending on how you want to use it
5. Arm track or tracks and press record and play

terrible.dee 2nd July 2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theVodkaCircle (Post 14831920)
Hi all,

GEAR

Novation Launchkey 49 USB keyboard
Mic
Reaper DAW
Ableton Live Lite 10

The software in general does my head in but I just need to keep plugging.

I have been using primarily Reaper but a friend who does audio stuff mostly just uses Ableton and I would like to use that as well for laying down drum tracks using multiple tapped out rhythms set out in a specific order.

Thank you!

Install your DAW's first they should walk you through it.

Then, once you connect your other peripherals, they should download the drivers they use automatically (Just give them time to finish)

After that, you need to do a bunch of Reaper or Abelton (Just pick ONE for Christ's sake, FORGET about the other one for a good year) Tutorials, start from the beginning, don't be in a rush, no lesson is too small, don't try to make a record JUST LEARN.