Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Drums (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/drums-/)
-   -   Drums & recording (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/drums-/1316715-drums-amp-recording.html)

Mothman 29th June 2020 04:03 AM

Drums & recording

Hi everyone,

I write and produce music in an industrial/noise band which I've taken on the road quite a lot in Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Previously, I've taken the band into "professional" studios however in the last few months my home recording and mixing demos are beginning to surpass or at least rival some of the "professional" recordings so I'm beginning to take over this duty and am trying to get the majority of it now done at home.

Basically, I'm wanting to get enormous, war-like drums from a floor tom and a kick. The drums are such a main part of this band that I'm really wanting to spend some decent money on a drum rig.

I've been thinking for this:

Pearl/DW Acrylic Floor Tom 18"x16"
Pearl/DW Acrylic Kick 22"x16"
Heil PR48 "kick" mic
Solomon SubKick LoFReQ
Shure SM7B Tom
2x Zoom H5n as overheads, or 1 as a room microphone.

My questions are:

A) In consideration of the sound that I'm going for, are there any opinions on the acrylics for this job?

B) Any experience with the Heil PR48 for this kind of thing? I was also considering just another SM7B, honestly.

C) Are there any alternative suggestions here, words of guidance here?

What I do have experience with is the SM7B, the zoom microphones and the LoFreq kick microphone. The reason why I'm asking about the equipment on here instead of trying it out is that I've recently moved to a small town in Europe where the music stores are abysmal and I don't speak the native language here :)

Drumsound 29th June 2020 04:51 AM

Acrylic drums will probably be pretty attack heavy with some sustain, but not a lot of warmth. They might be cool for your purpose.

Mothman 29th June 2020 05:42 AM

Thanks, man. I'm kind of wanting a pair of loud cannons, I guess.

bangbang 30th June 2020 04:13 AM

I don't love acrylic drums. Not that they never sound good, but they have weird overtones to me and wouldn't be my first choice for recording. Loud war drums, I like oak a lot. It's not too popular but maple is also great. If you're buying new, I like Tama more than Pearl, but only slightly and the ones I like are often birch (less resonant and warlike perhaps).

SM7b if you already have it, great. I wouldn't buy one just for toms. PR48 is supposed to be a great mic. Solomon is a speaker wired in reverse, probably with a pad on it. You can make that for $20 or so, and if you have to make a housing, still...well under $100. I'd choose a condenser for the tom, maybe one of the AKG P220s? They are plentiful here in the US, and cheap/easy to find used.

mrmike186 26th July 2020 01:52 PM

If you're trying to make the floor tom and kick sound similar try your kick mic on the floor to see if that's close to what your looking for. If you want to split the difference something like an Audix d4 is tailored to lower frequencies with a bit more range than a kick mic. If you can get the drum to sound good in the room it will record just fine.

DaPhunk73 31st July 2020 08:11 AM

AKG d112 is a great floor tom mic!

elegentdrum 31st July 2020 08:19 AM

The larger the drum, the harder it is to record. Past 22" drums, you need a great room to capture it right.

The reason to use acrylic drums is to prevent humidity from creating a problem it was a 70's solution to wood drums sounding like crap in high humidity. Would not suggest acrylic for recording.

I suggest metal drums for a big industrial sound.

I recorded a band that brought in a 55 gallon drum on a hammock like stand. It recorded much better than I expected.

If a big drum sound is desired, Cole 4038 is a great overhead. But over budget looking at the items you have listed.
For a great moving coil mic, you may consider HBMO 219

mrmike186 1st August 2020 03:50 AM

It’s one thing if you already have acrilic drums but given a choice for recording I would look to something else. If it’s loud you’re looking for you really can’t go wrong with good old fashioned maple shell. Compare an old mahogany/poplar shell to a modern maple shell and maybe the most obvious difference is how much lowder the maple is but it still records great.

bangbang 3rd August 2020 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike186 (Post 14890574)
It’s one thing if you already have acrilic drums but given a choice for recording I would look to something else. If it’s loud you’re looking for you really can’t go wrong with good old fashioned maple shell. Compare an old mahogany/poplar shell to a modern maple shell and maybe the most obvious difference is how much lowder the maple is but it still records great.

What are your thoughts on modern poplar? By virtue of what I found and bought, my kick is poplar (GP I think) and my FT too (Pearl Export). Both are modern as to shell thickness and edges, I would think.

mrmike186 4th August 2020 12:33 AM

Poplar is a great material for drums. I have modern Keller mahogany /poplar that I like better than any kit own. I don't own an Export but have played them many times and they always sound lovely!